Real world Example Of 716A Goodness

vbimport

Just found a Memorex CD-R in the street (asphalt paved) while getting the mail. Don’t know how long it had been there but probably only since today and most likely within the last 3 hours since a lot of school kids (and cars) go to and from school this way.

Anyways, after cleaning up the dust/dirt on the scratched-up disc I first tried reading it in my BenQ 1640. No dice. Nada. Zip. Won’t recognize it. Then I put the disc in my Plextor 716A and NO PROBLEMS reading the disc. Yippee!

The Memorex is a CMC CD-R and is blank. No, I didn’t try to burn it. I just wanted to know which drive is the better reader of damaged discs. Got my answer.

Should I post this in the BenQ forum?

I’m not sure that’s a valid way to conclusively say that the Plextor is a better drive for reading damaged disks – after all, the disk was blank, you just got the drive to even recognize the disk.

Regardless, my PX-716A is the best drive I ever owned. I know there are quite a few people who are unhappy with them and swear that they’ll never buy another Plextor product, but for me, the drive has been wonderful and without fault.

I’m just putting the horse before the cart with this example.

Let’s put it this way, if the drive won’t even recognize a blank then there is no hope to read a file burned on the disc. Would have been better if there were files on the disc, but, you take what you get.

Glad to hear you are also happy with your Plextor. There’s got to be at least another person out there too!

weird find, a blank CD-R on the road…

i’ve read pretty scratched up DVDs and CDs in both my 716s and my Premium…discs that my other ODDs choke on…

as is well known and documented, i’m happy with my 2 original 716As…no RMAs yet (knock on wood)…

And drpino makes it 3!

Plextor ODD’s have a history of reading damaged discs better than many other drives.

Fortunately in my case, history repeated itself.

This was not meant to be the definitive test of reading damaged discs. Just another real-world reason to like my 716A. :slight_smile:

I once had a disc that DVD Shrink and Decrypter wouldn’t rip Shrink came up with Cyclic redundancy error and Decrypter went over 200 retries. Tried 2 BenQ’s, (my favorite ripper) Nec and Lite On, no joy. Kind of forgot about the Plextor because I very seldom rip with it. Stuck it in the Plextor and it ripped it with out a problem. I actually think I posted that somewhere in this forum.:stuck_out_tongue: Unlike drpino I have had to return a couple of drives. Really happy with the one I have and it works well.:slight_smile:

Although I don’t own a 716A drive yet I want to mention that my 708A drive was able to read a badly scratched DL pressed disc that all my other drives failed to read including my BENQ 1620 drives. I had posted this ages ago about my 708A. Even though it took 30 mins to rip that badly scratched disc the end result was positive. :bigsmile:

P.S. I would like to purchase a 716AL drive but it’s expensive, the cost of that drive I can 3 BENQ 1640’s. :wink:

Same here as DVD_ADDICT I don’t own a 716A drive yet but after reading this tread I will be in about a week, have lots of scratched disks and been looking for a good drive to read them.

I would never insert a disc like that into my Plextor!! It could have caught a fissure and explode in the drive, or it could be slightly wavy, and therefore could lead to strong vibrations…

• Well, about the reading abilities of the PX-716A: both drives I’ve had until now (TLA #0202, now defective, TLA #0308) are much worse in reading bad discs than my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1912 and my LG CD-ROM CRD-8482B. The PX-716A might be better than other burners, but compared to read-only drives, it sucks. :wink:

Lord Voldemort:

Excellent point! Since my case is underneath my desk, a bad disc that shatters and sprays high velocity glass-like shards out of the drive would change from a rooster to a hen and I would be singing like a BeeGee.

As a public service announcement, I would warn children from trying this on their own… or even with adult supervision.

Just say no!

Someone actually posted a Picture of an Asus drive that a disc blew up in, about 6 or 7 months ago and like they say a picture is worth a thousand words (big mess). Did a search but couldn’t find it, my search talents aren’t the best.:slight_smile:

I’m looking for that shattered CD pic.

Meanwhile, learned that “drives capable of reading at 48X and 52X have only a 0.01 to 0.02 percent risk of causing a disc to shatter–the equivalent of 1 to 2 discs for every 10,000” according to http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105458,00.asp.

That means that some of you senior CDFreaks members are at risk.

Here’s a link to two other links, one a great explanation, the other a stupid human tricks video on what you can do with high velocity spinning CD’s: http://pressf1.co.nz/showpost.php?p=186867

Still no exploded CD’s in a drive.

More fun facts for the inner geek in us:

CDs shatter at around 27,000 rpm, while 52x cd-roms, the fastest CD-ROM drives on the market, run at around 9,800 rpm. Just so you know, the forces on a CD spinning at 27,560 amount to a whopping 111 Joules, which is the energy needed to lift 150 lbs a distance of 7 inches. Quite a lot for the poor piece of plastic. The integrity of the foil data layer breaks down just about 10,000 rpm, so you can assume that the data on the disc is probably corrupt, and therefore unplayable.

That, and the fact that the CD is now a pile of plastic chunks.

(Does this mean I burn 150 joules every 7 inches I move?)

But this only applies to CDs in perfect health. Discs with a fissure will break earlier.

(Does this mean I burn 150 joules every 7 inches I move?)
Probably not. :bigsmile:

Found it but it looks like the picture has been removed Click.:slight_smile:

I had a CD disintegrate in a drive a few weeks ago. No parts of the disk came out of the drive; and after I had opened the drive, removed the shards and blown the foil out, it turned out to be undamaged.

Sorry, no photo - it was at work.

Paul