REAL newbie question

vbimport

Hi,

I have a really newbie question, so bear with me. :o

I have just bought a DVD burner. I tried to copy a dvd movie, and when I insert the blank DVD, it says that it is too small.

The dvd is a dvd-r 4.7Gb. My question is, am I doing something wrong, or do I need a dual layer dvd-r?

because the dvd is burnt in a raw format, the dvd is bigger than 4.7 gb, you need to shrink it (dvdshrink) download this program and it will sort it out for you. And welcome to the forum.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Providing that you are trying to do a backup of a movie that you own, most of video DVD are bigger than a single layer disc, so you have two possibilities.

1. Compress the original dvd or remove all undesidered stuff with a software like dvd shrink or clonedvd
  2. Burn a 1:1 copy of the original DVD on a dual layer disc

Dual layer discs have higher prices than single layer discs, so is a your choice.

Is there any quality differences in the two? (shrinking onto single OR dual layer 1:1)

Yes. If you compress the original video with a software like shrink or clonedvd you will have a reduction of quality. However, often is not necessary to do a compression, because removing undesidered contents is sufficient to fit a single layer disc.

For example, you can remove all foreign languages and subtitles, or you can remove trailers and other extra contents you don’t like. In this way you can fit a single layer disc and still have the same quality of the original.

I might try both and see if there is any noticeable difference…

Re. removing the foreign languages and subtitles, is it hard to do?

With dvd shrink and clonedvd2 is really simple. I suggest you to try first dvd shrink because is free, and if you want a more updated software then you can buy clonedvd2 from slysoft.

Do a google search to find dvd shrink (I don’t have a link right now to post here :frowning: )

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum donno1. :smiley:
You may want to take a look here.

Thanks, ill give it a shot!

Great guides, thanks!

Hi :wink:
Your welcome.

OK, ive backed-up the files to my HDD using dvd shrink as per the guide. Now, where do I go from there? I have nero vision express and have read the guide on zebadee’s website. I dont know if its possible, but I would like the same menu that came with the original DVD, rather than the customised menu you make in the guide? Is this possible??

With dvd shrink you can retain all original contents and also all menus. You can use shrink to remove only undesidered contents like foreign languages and subtitles. With shrink you loose all menus only in reauthor mode.

It explains it all here