Real deal MXL RG02's?

Hi. This is for rdgrimes in particular because he already played/tested with this media.

Me being the paranoid person that I am, I want to make sure the Maxell DVD-Rs I just got are the real deal and not the fake Hong Kong ones.

Are they the real Maxell’s?

• $63 for 50 spindle at buy.com (kinda cheap for good quality, but maybe just got a good deal and they dunno what they doing)

• white matte printable (blank) top layer, purple dye bottom

• ‘made in Japan’ sticker on the brown box

• MXL RG02 when viewed under DVDInfoPro

I want to verify with the experts here before I go ahead and order another batch lol…

How would I know? They sound legitimate, the Maxell is sold in bulk all over the net. If they perform like the real thing, then they are the real thing.

I suppose I was asking: does anyone know the features or indicators of the fake hong kong maxells? In other words, the packaging, country origin, manufacturer ID or anything…

Originally posted by vallybally
I suppose I was asking: does anyone know the features or indicators of the fake hong kong maxells? In other words, the packaging, country origin, manufacturer ID or anything…

Well if they say “made in Hong Kong” on the package, they’re not TY. The main difference is that the Maxell work great, and the fakes don’t work.

I bought mine from shopperwiz.com…50 pack, part# 635129…they’re legit (mxl), and they kick arse.

I paid about $66.00 including shipping. Just have them shipped to the same address as your bill-to address. If you don’t, they want semen samples and you have to submit to a cavity search.

I’m pretty sure the buy.com ones are the same ones.

Ya, I think and hope so. Dude your picture/avatar is very funny lol…

I wonder how these Maxell’s compare to the Ricoh’s that I hear burn so well with the NEC… (the Ricoh’s would be cheaper I’d imagine too)…

Those Maxells work great for me…

Ricoh, meaning Ritek G04 4x dvd-r’s? Personally, I can’t use them in two of my three standalone players (they’re older). The Maxell’s play flawlessly. Very good quality.

Media selection needs to be done on a case-by-case basis. I’m sure that even the Maxell’s and Taiyo Yuden’s have issues burning and/or playing in certain systems. It’s finding the right media for your setup that is the trick (without breaking the bank).

That’s why I’m a card-carrying, CD Freak forum member. :wink:

(and it’s a place to show off my sick avatars…)