Ready-to-use PC

I visited two computer shops today. I asked them for ready-to-use PC with a nVidia nForce 4 mobo, Intel Pentium D CPU, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM, and a SATA HD with NCQ. And that’s what the shops offered me:

Shop 1
Intel Pentium D 930 2x3.0 GHz 2 MB Cache Boxed € 190.68
Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 Intel Edition SLI PCIe x16 € 158.35
Maxtor 3.5" 250 GB 6V250F0 7200 rpm 16 MB Cache S-ATA € 64.53
Asus Extreme nVidia GeForce 6600 Silencer 256 MB € 82.23
MDT TwinPacks 2048 MB (2x 1024 MB) DDR2-667 CL4 € 123.87
LiteOn SHW-16H5S € 42.41
TechSolo TC-100 black case + 2x Be Quiet Silent Wings 80x80x25 mm € 32.49 + € 18.94
Be Quiet 470W BQT-P5 Blackline Titan € 72.32
= € 785.82 + 16% tax = € 911.55

• Assembly = about € 935.00

Shop 2
Intel Pentium D 930 2x3.0 GHz 2 MB Cache Boxed € ???.??
Asus P5ND2-SLI nForce4 Intel Edition SLI PCIe x16 € 99.99
Seagate 3.5" 250 GB ST3250620AS16 7200 rpm 16 MB Cache S-ATA € ??.??
Asus Extreme nVidia GeForce 6600 Silencer 256 MB € ??.??
Infineon 2048 MB (2x 1024 MB) DDR2-667 CL? € ???.??
LiteOn SHW-16H5 € ??.??
Floppy Disk Drive € 9.00
LX-6A21 Case (Midi) + 2x Papst 120x120 mm 18 dBa 1200 rpm 0.72W € ??.?? + € 40.00
Tagan 430W TG430-U22 € ??.??
= € 887.07 + 16% tax = € 1029.00

• Assembly = about 1079.00

Is the Shop 1 offer good? Is the Shop 2 offer better? Is there any bottleneck in this system?
Or should I buy a Dell Dimension 9150 instead?

Looks like two reasonable offers kg_evilboy, but why would you want an nForce mobo? They’re still new and maybe a bit unproven for Intel cpu’s. You’ll want to look for a quality case as well. Don’t save on the case.

I heard nForces had a SATA -> IDE compatibility mode, which can be useful while installing Windows so there would be no need for driver floppies.
Why whould I need to look for a quality case? I thought this wouldn’t make a big difference anyway, since I’m not using it in a dirty factory or something like that.

lol holy shiz, you are going to save about half of what i spent just building mine from parts. Granted my case, mobo, and graphics may be a tiny bit better but still lol. meh, i guess its the experience and the enjoyment you get out of building it yourself that you can say you are paying for.

This is always difficult, because I don’t know your situation, but if that’s the only reason for choosing something vital like your mobo’s chipset, I’m not sure it’s the right decision. How often do you plan to install Windows? Even if you don’t want to put a floppy in the case, you can just hook one up for the Windows install if needed. I read good things about the Asus P5WD2 (with an Intel 875P chipset, the perfect mate for a Pentium D). You’ll want to combine that with an ATI videocard though, because it’s laid out for Crossfire in stead of SLi. If that gets too expensive, you can also look for a board with Intel 845P chipset.

Also, if you just tuck away your PC out of sight under the desk and never work on it much, a standard case may be OK. Personally, I hate these cheap and rattly boxes, but then I tend to open them up a lot and tinker about with the internals.

Some people may also advise you to choose Corsair or OCZ memory, but I know MDT and Infineon are more common choices in Germany. The Shop1 PSU may not be the best choice either. Tagan has a better reputation, but that’s changing with their latest models again (not as good as they used to be).

Or just wait for DiiZzy, he’ll know what to do.

no i didnt want a cheap sheisse case lol. I am happy with my choice. I plan to take a maintenance and upgrading course to become just that if all doesnt go too well in my last year of highschool, so if i can say ive built my own comp it might make getting into the course a bit easier. Also, if a particular part of the comp goes bust in its warranty period I can just get a replacement part and send off the faulty part and still use my computer rather than being without a computer while it gets fixed or whatever.

P.S. I like the Papst fans in Shop#2’s config. In short, Shop#1 has the better mobo, but Shop#2 has the better overall config.

Geheimtipp: Asus P5P800 SE (€70) mit Pentium D 805 (€135) und Arctic Freezer 7 Pro (€16) CPU-Kühler.

I also picked that mobo for holy Native Command Queuing. Is it good? I know nForce 4 comes with lots of goodies like a hardware firewall for LAN…

“cross-posting” again, huh :wink: . NCQ is nice, comes with most any SATA2 capable mobo (not “mein Geheimtipp”, but then you get what you pay for! :slight_smile: )

Correction: this should be …Intel 975X… and …Intel 945P chipset… (it was late in the evening and the wine was good… :slight_smile: )

I have never seen such problems with Intel chipsets. only with VIA :Z