Reading/writng error control..is it due to less RAM?

vbimport

hi,
i was earlier using dvdfab 5 platinum on my new pc.but the mother board had a problem so am currently using my old pc with only 128MB ram as a stop gap.It has Win xp pro, a pentium 4 (1.4) processor. the dvd writers are the same on both i.e. Asus. but on the older pc ,i am constantly getting reading/writng error control messages on all dvds which i am trying to copy.Is it due to less RAM?
please help.

[QUOTE=rohiniro;2107465]hi,
i was earlier using dvdfab 5 platinum on my new pc.but the mother board had a problem so am currently using my old pc with only 128MB ram as a stop gap.It has Win xp pro, a pentium 4 (1.4) processor. the dvd writers are the same on both i.e. Asus. but on the older pc ,i am constantly getting reading/writng error control messages on all dvds which i am trying to copy.Is it due to less RAM?
please help.[/QUOTE]

You are right 128 mb of ram is good at all, it being an older rig most likely it also has 40 wire IDE cables wich you really should use 80 wire IDE cables…also have you checked the drives in device manager to see if there are in DMA mode or PIO mode they should be in DMA mode.
Also older rigs had very low in size for HDD

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2107468]You are right 128 mb of ram is good at all, it being an older rig most likely it also has 40 wire IDE cables wich you really should use 80 wire IDE cables…also have you checked the drives in device manager to see if there are in DMA mode or PIO mode they should be in DMA mode.
Also older rigs had very low in size for HDD[/QUOTE]

All the drives are in DMA mode.but am not sure about IDE cables.HDD is 30GB.so shud i get the error or not?

[QUOTE=rohiniro;2111018]All the drives are in DMA mode.but am not sure about IDE cables.HDD is 30GB.so shud i get the error or not?[/QUOTE]
Of course you should receive the error.

Is the error do to less RAM?
I’m not sure why you would believe this is an all or nothing answer.
Yes, you need more RAM, but I’d hate to see you buy expensive, obsolete RAM and still error out. I suspect that despite doubling your RAM, you will still have problems.
128 MB RAM is not even marginally adequate to run XP…you need a bare minimum of 256 MB. Is 256 MB “adequate” for your needs…probably not.

Are you able to borrow additional RAM to try out?
At this point, I certainly wouldn’t buy any.
Your hdd is very small to use as a system hdd and still rip to and who knows what other problems you may have re: ripping/burning dvds
As SJ mentioned, even something as simple as your cabling could be part of the problem.

In Fab Common Settings, you could try changing I/O control from Auto to SPTI…(or vice versa…but Auto should have been the default setting), but I seriously doubt this will correct the problem.

What’s the deal with your newer rig?
Are you replacing the motherboard?

[QUOTE=rohiniro;2111018]All the drives are in DMA mode.but am not sure about IDE cables.HDD is 30GB.so shud i get the error or not?[/QUOTE]

To tell you the truth I myself would never run a rig with a HDD that only has 30 gigs, can I ask how much free space do you have ?

also with that small amount you may have to defrag the system more often then normal

with maineman’s reply you should listen he always gives good sound advice

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2111192]To tell you the truth I myself would never run a rig with a HDD that only has 30 gigs, can I ask how much free space do you have ?

also with that small amount you may have to defrag the system more often then normal

with maineman’s reply you should listen he always gives good sound advice[/QUOTE]

My new motherboard has a lan chip problem & has gone for warranty repairs(will take some time).so at the moment ,i am stuck with the old pc & wanted to back up some movies.but i think now i will hv to wait for it to return.
thanks for the replies.

[QUOTE=rohiniro;2111210]My new motherboard has a lan chip problem & has gone for warranty repairs(will take some time).so at the moment ,i am stuck with the old pc & wanted to back up some movies.but i think now i will hv to wait for it to return.
thanks for the replies.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, unfortunately I think your best bet is to just bite the bullet and wait. For sure I wouldn’t spend any money.

As SJ suggested, you could try an 80 wire cable or better yet 2 cables…one for the hdd and one for your burner (I’m guessing they’re sharing a cable right now?).
You can also fool with the I/O settings in Fab.
If you have extra RAM that you can steal and install…it’s also worth a shot.
You could try to clear your hdd of everything but the OS and bare necessities
The cpu should be ok anyway.
Still, I wouldn’t expect much, but you could get lucky.

Sorry we couldn’t be more help.

i am constantly getting reading/writng error control messages on all dvds

what ever the system specs…the dvd drive is probably not very good. this is why the reading errors. :slight_smile: sure if the system is not upto par and you have a brand new dvd drive you could get other errors, but this particular problem is probably the drive.

just for fun what model Asus is it?

System Requirements

* Windows Vista/XP/2000/98/ME
* Pentium II 500 MHz
* 256 MB of RAM
* 10 GB of Free Hard Disk Space
* A DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W) Drive

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2111192]To tell you the truth I myself would never run a rig with a HDD that only has 30 gigs, can I ask how much free space do you have ?

with maineman’s reply you should listen he always gives good sound advice[/QUOTE]OT

Hey Tim…I missed that last comment the first time.
Thank you very much…:flower:
Same to you my friend!
I think everyone on the “help squad” does a great job here…:iagree:

[QUOTE=troy512;2111389]what ever the system specs…the dvd drive is probably not very good. this is why the reading errors. :slight_smile: sure if the system is not upto par and you have a brand new dvd drive you could get other errors, but this particular problem is probably the drive.

just for fun what model Asus is it?[/QUOTE]

It is Asus DRW 1814BL.The same drive did not give these errors on the new pc.So it is due to Ram probably(but i want to rule out if the drive is giving a problem).Moreover i will be adding a new HP DVD writer to the new pc.
About the old hdd(30gb): it is fairly empty (around 80%) as i recently formatted it.

a brand new dvd drive you could get other errors, but this particular problem is probably the drive.

well seems to be a newer drive despite my best guessing. :slight_smile: i would follow suggestions in checking RAM and DMA Mode.

dvdfab recommends at least 256 and i recommend no less than UDMA mode 2.

we need more info on the computer you are using.