Reading wax cylinder recordings with subatomic particles

vbimport

I just posted the article Reading wax cylinder recordings with subatomic particles..

Carl Haber, a researcher  for the University of California's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, holds  a cracked and spotted, moldy cylinder. Much too fragile now to be played  with a...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300-Reading-wax-cylinder-recordings-with-subatomic-particles_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300-Reading-wax-cylinder-recordings-with-subatomic-particles_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

We’ll read DVD’s in 2104 with ESP, lasers are so physical! Could I also point out that virtually nobody that was alive during the phonograph (if you even know what this is) is still alive today and if they are, they have no interest downloading the MP3s of them (or buy a CD or DVD-A). And anybody alive today probably has no interest in the audio either, except the archivist themselves and only for idealistic reasoning of archival preservation. If they can adapt this technology to paintings and produce better reproductions, now that will be somewhat usefull. There are many famous pictures that are falling apart and because of the poor restoration techniques used decades ago, are pretty much considered unfixable.
[edited by Rhelic on 11.05.2004 14:48]

Well, I for one have a lot of interest in the audio contained on these old cylinders and discs. Most of the 78s I have have music that you’re probably not going to get on CD. Old dixieland jazz, swing, boogie, comedy, commentary…If I was able to download an MP3 copy of the recordings, I’d have to get another broadband connection just to be able to write these comments! I’m not alone. Prices on vintage recordings and players seem to be going up everyday. I can’t afford to add any cylinders to my collection any more. And, I know I’m not alone, it was a friend that turned me on to all the good stuff on old the old discs.

@ Rhelic “Could I also point out that virtually nobody that was alive during the phonograph (if you even know what this is) is still alive today and if they are, they have no interest downloading the MP3s of them (or buy a CD or DVD-A).” Eh? What’s that sonny?! I am still around however, much like the cylinders, I am fragile and covered in green mold! My B&O Beogram 1800 is still around beleive it or not too!

well, I’m 40 and will inherit min 200 78’s and at least 100 wax cylinder’s and phonograph from Mom…so…this is of great interest to me:X

@ Rhelic “Could I also point out that virtually nobody that was alive during the phonograph (if you even know what this is) is still alive today and if they are, they have no interest downloading the MP3s of them (or buy a CD or DVD-A).” This is a wierd comment. I am 54 and started out with a phonograph. Not sure what Rhelic meant here.