Reading "no disc" discs - bitwise recovery?

Does that title make sense?

I have a Philips DVDR 905 (and from the look of things I should have bought something else) that is reporting “DISC WARN” and then “DISC ERROR”.

Seems that on DVD+R the disc menu is flagged as invalid and a new menu written - which fails when there is a disc error.
The Philips player doesn’t say there is any disc content at all, no menu and just the number 16 on the display.
My PC says there is no disc in the drive, which makes me think the directory pointers are pointing to the damaged area and it’s not recognised.

What I’m looking for is a tool that will bypass the operating system’s desire to find a valid directory structure, and do a surface level read, perhaps using the latest directory written before the disc failure.

I managed to record about 2 3/4 hours in 7 chapters, but it failed during recording of the 8th and during writing of the menu - so it appears everything is lost.

Can anyone recommend tools that will do this kind of low level recovery? :bow:

isobuster is best for cd/dvd recovery , http://www.isobuster.com/

ISOBuster says there is no disc in the drive.
VSO Inspector gives no media information.
Windows says there is no disc in the drive.

DVD Decrypter in log mode says:
I 17:43:43 [1:0:0] LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T 9S1B (E:) (ATA)
I 17:43:43 CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00
I 17:43:43 CDB Interpretation: Test Unit Ready
E 17:43:43 SENSE: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 00 00 00 00 00
E 17:43:43 SENSE Interpretation: Medium Not Present

Well the disc is definitely in the drive, I can hear it spin.
DVD+RW discs are readable (even Packard Bell) but DVD+R (Verbatim) are not.
Is there something weird that the Philips DVR905 needs to do, or that I have to undo, to access the disc?

you need to put the disc in a [B]dvd burner[/B],then youll probably get lucky

Nope, fails in my 1633s too, and the DVR905 that recorded it says “Unknown Content” and that was the machine that wrote it !

could be a longshot but try updating your 1633s firmware maybe it will read it afterwards ,if that wont do it then goto a friend who have a dvd burner and try it there with isobuster , dont know why your burner wont read it , i had similar case a while back that the dvd recorder made the disc unreadable and i had no problems reading it on my benq 1650 with isobuster

It’s already upgraded to BS0Y which while dated 2006 is the latest firmware I can find.

I think the problem is related to finalising a DVD+R, which isn’t necessary for a DVD+RW ?
All fine if the recording succeeds, the disc can be finalised in the DVR.

But if the DVR screws up then the disc is totally useless - Windows won’t recognise it and the DVR can’t finalise it. In extreme cases even the DVR says the disc has Unrecognised Content.

I need something that will bypass windows and read the data sectors off the disk without trying to interpret the file structures that aren’t there :slight_smile:
Perhaps it’s even the [I][B]drive[/B][/I] that can’t recognise the disc, in which case I am totally stuffed.

What does finalise do, I wonder?

If it just sets a bit on the disc to flag it as a recognised format, how can a disc be finalised when the DVR cannot recognise it and the Lite-On drive says it’s not there ?

Even though IsoBuster should be able to read a non-finalised DVD+R, you could try and finalise it in ImgBurn:

Tools -> Drive -> Close -> Disc

It might be readable then but it doesn’t look good if IsoBuster cannot even recognise the disc in the 1633S.

I managed to use DVD Decrypter to read another disk, but that was recognised by Windows and the Philips.
I finalised it on the Philips and then my PC said Build Play Graph Failed.
So I read it with DVD Decrypter and saved a ISO image, then burned that from IMGBurn and that one worked.

The problem I have right now is that DVD Decrypter can’t see the disk, and nor does Windows.
I’ll try ImgBurn and see if that works, thanks !

I’ll be back to report success or failure.

OK, that seems to tell me what the problem is, even if it can’t fix it …

I/O Error!

Device: [1:1:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0Y (F:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 5B 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Close Track/Session

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 72 04 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Empty or Partially Written Reserved Track

So I guess from that there was a problem caused by the disc failure in the Philips DVR.