Reading Lead Out

Do you have to issue a special command to read the lead out? Or if the drive is capable can you just use read(10) with the lba set to the lead out address?

I only ask because my drive seems to error if i use read(10) set to the lead out and wondered if i can get around it. I’m trying to write my software so i can use a read offset, its all working good from the begining, but when it gets to the last frame of the cd and tries to read one passed it to get the offset data it fails. Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew

The READ(10) command will only read the track data, not the lead-out. That information forms part of the disc geometry, so you’ll need to use those commands to get that information. Not sure what they are off the top of my head tho…

Thanks for your reply,

Hmmm well at least i don’t have to give up all hope just yet. However i can’t find any command that allows me to read the lead-out. Am i missing something obvious? Apart from the likes of READ_DISC_STRUCTURE which gives the last possible lead-out address i can’t see anything that even provides any lead-out data. Has anyone been able to read the first sector of the lead-out?

Andrew

I think it also might depend on the drive you’re using. Some are able to read data from the Lead Out while others are not.

OK, but how do i prove whether my drive can or can’t? If the standard read commands wont read it does this mean i can’t or is there another way?

Thanks
Andrew

Yep, if read cannot, then there is no way.

I noticed u r using read(10), this is mainly for generic read devices and also for DVDs. I personally use the readcd (12) from MMC, particulary for reading CDs. It really depends on the drive. I find that Plextor and some LiteOn drives allow you to read into the leadout, via that command.

You could try tracing what other programs do to read from the LeadOut.

I think EAC has such a test.

Sounds like a good idea, i’ve setup EAC to have a positive offset so it should read into the lead-out to get the final bytes. However after i have installed tracespti and setup the ini to hook into EAC, EAC no longer recognises there are any audio cds present. Without the hook it works fine. Any ideas on what i might be doing wrong? I can include the log file if it will help.

Thanks
Andrew

Sorry, but if it doesn’t work with the tracer, I have no idea what the reason could be.
Although I have access to the sourcecode of this tool, I think I’m unable to find out what’s going wrong here.

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem with tracespti, i read in the readme that the nero winaspi driver uses spti, so i copied nero’s dll to the EAC directory and configured EAC to use the installed external aspi, this allowed EAC to function with the tracespti hook.

Andrew