Reading from a DVD-RAM

vbimport

I have several movies that I dubbed to DVD-RAM via a DVD Recorder.

I would very much like to burn them to CDR so they may be viewed on DVD players which do not support RAM.

Unfortunately, even though my DVD burner does support DVD-RAM, DVDFab platinum was unable to read it when I tried to use the Customize Mode.

Am I out of luck or is there a way to make copying from RAM work?

[quote=captainvideo;2176569]I have several movies that I dubbed to DVD-RAM via a DVD Recorder.

I would very much like to burn them to CDR so they may be viewed on DVD players which do not support RAM.

Unfortunately, even though my DVD burner does support DVD-RAM, DVDFab platinum was unable to read it when I tried to use the Customize Mode.

Am I out of luck or is there a way to make copying from RAM work?[/quote]
Have you tried using isoBuster to extract all files to your HDD then making a copy from there :wink:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2176715]Have you tried using isoBuster to extract all files to your HDD then making a copy from there ;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry StormJumper, I am too inexperienced. I checked out IsoBuster and could not understand what I would need to do.

I believe that video files are normally stored in VIDEO_TS folders. Are video files stored differently on a DVD-RAM?

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2176862]…I believe that video files are normally stored in VIDEO_TS folders. Are video files stored differently on a DVD-RAM?[/QUOTE]
A DVD-RAM functions in a fashion similar to a hdd.
The problem here isn’t the RAM disc. You would have had the same problem if you recorded to “regular” blank media…dvd +/- R, dvd +/- RW.

Your dvd recorder records in VR format (either -R or +R) and not in “standard” dvd format, ie., VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.
Fab will need compliant format.

[QUOTE=maineman;2176889]A DVD-RAM functions in a fashion similar to a hdd.
The problem here isn’t the RAM disc. You would have had the same problem if you recorded to “regular” blank media…dvd +/- R, dvd +/- RW.

Your dvd recorder records in VR format (either -R or +R) and not in “standard” dvd format, ie., VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.
Fab will need compliant format.[/QUOTE]

Maineman:

Not true. I have been able to read in DVD-R discs recorded and finalized on my Panasonic EH50 DVD Recorder with no problems.

I did have a problem with DVDFAB reading a DVD-RW yesterday from my Panny (when RAM did not work).

But ImgBurn was able to read it and I created an ISO from it and then used DVDFAB’s Customize Mode to extract the titles I wanted.

Well cv, I’m glad to hear that it 's working for you. It’s a bit unclear to me as to exactly what you’re doing and with what. When you mentioned that you can read discs from your panny, do you mean read with Fab?

Any dvd recorder I’ve owned or read about writes to DVD VR…at least that I’ve come across.
I believe that when Img builds it to an .ISO file then Fab can see it.
I don’t know for sure, just a guess.

I just tried this in my rig.
I took a dvd +RW recorded on a standalone LiteOn 5005 (it has a replacement burner… a litey 1693S in it). These were just episodic tv shows recorded for my wife
This recorded in dvd VR format with the following folders:
VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS.

Fab wouldn’t open the disc, but when I created an .ISO on my hdd with Img, Fab recognized and opened it right off.

It’s easy enough to see what the file structure is on the DVD-RAM.
I’m curious, could you take a look and let me know?

[QUOTE=maineman;2176975]Well cv, I’m glad to hear that it 's working for you. It’s a bit unclear to me as to exactly what you’re doing and with what. When you mentioned that you can read discs from your panny, do you mean read with Fab?

Any dvd recorder I’ve owned or read about writes to DVD VR…at least that I’ve come across.
I believe that when Img builds it to an .ISO file then Fab can see it.
I don’t know for sure, just a guess.

I just tried this in my rig.
I took a dvd +RW recorded on a standalone LiteOn 5005 (it has a replacement burner… a litey 1693S in it). These were just episodic tv shows recorded for my wife
This recorded in dvd VR format with the following folders:
VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS.

Fab wouldn’t open the disc, but when I created an .ISO on my hdd with Img, Fab recognized and opened it right off.

It’s easy enough to see what the file structure is on the DVD-RAM.
I’m curious, could you take a look and let me know?[/QUOTE]

What I wanted to do is make some compilation DVDRs using DVDFABs Customize and Merge modes.

I recently recorded a few movies from my Cablevisions’ DVR to my Panasonic EH50 DVD Recorder. I would have preferred to record directly to DVD-RAM but I do not want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out how I can rip from RAM to my computer’s HD. If there is a way, it will probably be too complicated for me and is just not worth the effort. So I recorded to the EH50’s hard drive first, created the chapter markers I wanted, and then high-speed dubbed to DVD-RW and finalized it.

But DVDFAB does not seem to recognize the DVD-RW [B]but ImgBurn did[/B]. So I used ImgBurn’s Read Mode to create an ISO and used that as the source for DVDFAB’s Customize Mode. That Worked. I was then able to use Customize to read from some other finalized DVD-Rs and create my Merge DVD. So while DVDFAB can read finalized DVDRs created on a DVD Recorder, it does not appear to do so with DVDRW.