Reading error

Hi all, I’m a new member in this forum. I’m currently trying DVDFab free version to copy DVD to harddisk. However with some DVD I’m getting message that there’s a reading error which possibly caused by protection. It then offered an activation of some software which requires restarting the process. But when it is restarted the same kind of error will appear again, thus the copy fails. Kindly advise how to resolve this problem? Thank you so much.

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

Can you post a screen shot of the message as well as post a log of the process [if possible]?

You may have the non-CSS version. Re-download from dvdfab.[B]com[/B] (not .[B]net[/B]) and reinstall if that is the case.

most likely Pathplayer setting. could be a scratched/dirty disc?

Good point. Need more info from OP.

Thank you for all the replies.

Sorry for being a newbie, I have done the screenshots but how do I include them in the reply?

And how do I get the process log?

How do I check the version whether CSS or not?

How do I tweak the Pathplayer settings? The disc is not likely to be at fault because I can play the movie in ordinary DVD player.

Attachments: http://club.cdfreaks.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

[quote=joshlie;2113414]Thank you for all the replies.

Sorry for being a newbie, I have done the screenshots but how do I include them in the reply?

And how do I get the process log?

How do I check the version whether CSS or not?

How do I tweak the Pathplayer settings? The disc is not likely to be at fault because I can play the movie in ordinary DVD player.[/quote]We were all newbies once. :slight_smile: As Albert’s link pointed out you can attach the captures using the Manage attachments button just below the text editing window when you are replying to a post. You may have to click “Go Advanced”, depending on how you entered the reply mode.
The filename of the DVDFab installer EXE will have “noncss” in it if that is what you downloaded.
The Task log is what appears in the text window as DVDFab processes the disc. You can just highlight it (click/drag) and then right click copy and paste it into a post.
The burn log may also have some good information; it is named [B]dvdfab_burn_vso.log [/B]and is normally found in a folder called Log at C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\DVDFab.
Make sure you have PathPlayer set to “Always Enable” in Common Settings->PathPlayer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Here are the screenshots:

The installer file I downloaded was DVDFab5076.

The setting for PathPlayer is set to be activated when necessary. When the software gives the first error message (see the first shot above), it offers to activate PathPlayer, but when it is activated it gives the second message. So it seems that with or without PathPlayer the process fails.

Hi joshlie,

The attachments are “invalid”…which means we can’t open them.
There are 3 settings for PathPlayer.
Click on the small, green, checkmark [B]icon[/B] …upper right of application screen.
[B]Common Settings [/B]> [B]PathPlayer[/B] > tick [B]Always Enable PathPlayer[/B]

If the rip fails again,
tick [B]Disable PathPlayer[/B]

Please do not use [B]Enable PathPlayer when necessary[/B]…which most likely, is what you’re setting is now since it’s the default setting.

What movie are you trying to copy?

Sorry, forgot to add…
Please install the current version of Fab from here:
DVDFab 5.0.8.8 Beta is out

Hi all,

I didn’t realize that the attachment was invalid. Here it is again:

I hope this time works, I followed the instruction correctly I think.

I have enabled the PathPlayer and it still gives the error message. I haven’t tried disabling it, but I think it will ask to be enabled and then at the end the same error would appear. I also haven’t got the chance to download the beta version because I kind of hesitant to try out beta, I would think the stable version should be able to do the job.

The movies which give the error message among others are The Twilight Zone, Troy, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi joshlie, just because a DVD will play in a stand alone player does not mean it will backup. I think I would download http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ free and scan the disk to be sure I’m starting with a DVD without errors.

[QUOTE=90312;2114061]Hi joshlie, just because a DVD will play in a stand alone player does not mean it will backup. I think I would download http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ free and scan the disk to be sure I’m starting with a DVD without errors.[/QUOTE]

Apologies since you probably know this…but as an FYI…
you would have to run an on-the-fly decrypter in the background in order to properly scan a copy protected with dvd cd-dvd speed…
but I agree…great idea.

How many dvds is this happening with…?
Are they scratched or crudded up as asked previously by Troy?
This isn’t a “copy protection” problem. I created a bkup of Troy long ago without any problems. I have some of the TZ discs, but not the one you mentioned. None of mine have any issues with copy protection.

Take your original of “Troy” and clean it with isoproply alcohol and a microfiber cloth (lint free, no scratch). Wipe outward from the center to the edge…like spokes on a wheel. Do not wipe in a circular fashion.

Completely disable PathPlayer.

If still no luck…
In Fab > [B]Common Settings > Read >[/B]
tick[B] Ignore all reading errors automatically[/B]
untick [B]Enable read-ahead cache[/B]

Let us know what happens…

Error while reading! Please choose what to do?

bad source disc, especially with an older title. computer dvd drives are more picky readers than stand alone dvd players. dvd players are meant to recover from reading errors with little or no notice during playback.