Reading DVD-R's on XBOX

vbimport

Ok I hope I cover everything here so I don’t get more questions rather than answers… here goes.

• I have a modded XBOX.
  • XBOX has a Samsung drive.
  • Nero version 6.3.1.6
  • Princo 1-4x DVD-R Media
  • TDK DVD-RW media
  • Using Xbox Media Player & Xbox Media Center
  • Using a LITE-ON LDW-451S

I am trying to get animation tests (outputted from 3Ds Max in avi format, xvid or divx codecs) to play on the xbox, however it will not read the DVD’s. I can’t even get a file list.

If I output the animations and burn them off as a DVD movie, they read/play fine (so its not the media).

I’ve tried using ISO, UDF and ISO/UDF settings, including the “Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (Required for Xbox TM)” but they still don’t read on the XBOX…

HELP!!

Hmm, why dont you just hook up your XBOX to the PC and transfer to the XBOX over FTP???

Either via IE or FTP program?

As this should work - as I have dragged stuff off the XBOX HDD and dropped onto my XP desktop and then burnt and it all worked fine - just created a standard DVD from Nero???

Sounds weird though - coz my XBOX Media Player - plays anything I chuck at it - in fact it makes Windows Media Player look Micky Mouse…

Give it another go m8 - and try it on a DVD-RW so you dont keep producing coasters! :smiley:

I would definately try FTP’ing first - once on the XBOX and you know they work - you will then have to tweak your burn settings - as this will be the only issue unresolved! :smiley:

Hope this helps

MC :smiley:

hey mc,
he can only hook up his xbox to his pc with a modified chip board!
He says his XBOX is modded, but what type of modded do you mean??

Originally posted by Ic007
[B]Ok I hope I cover everything here so I don’t get more questions rather than answers… here goes.

• I have a modded XBOX.
  • XBOX has a Samsung drive.
  • Nero version 6.3.1.6
  • Princo 1-4x DVD-R Media
  • TDK DVD-RW media
  • Using Xbox Media Player & Xbox Media Center
  • Using a LITE-ON LDW-451S

I am trying to get animation tests (outputted from 3Ds Max in avi format, xvid or divx codecs) to play on the xbox, however it will not read the DVD’s. I can’t even get a file list.

If I output the animations and burn them off as a DVD movie, they read/play fine (so its not the media).

I’ve tried using ISO, UDF and ISO/UDF settings, including the “Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (Required for Xbox TM)” but they still don’t read on the XBOX…

HELP!! [/B]

you didn’t mention what program you’re trying to use to play the video files on you xbox. in case you didn’t know, you need to use something like Xbox Media Center (which is what i use) or Xbox Media Player in order to play video files on the xbox. if you ARE using one of those programs and still can’t play off the dvd, and since you say the media works with dvd movies, your only option is to ftp the videos onto your xbox hard drive and play them from there. a quick way to test whether or not your dvds are truly readable in the xbox is to place the dvd into the xbox, ftp into the xbox, and check the contents of the /D/ folder, which is the dvd-rom drive.

Dang, more questions than answers…

AZImmortal… I did mention in the opening points of my post that I am using XBMP and XBMC.

MC… I only made one coaster… ever since then I’ve been using the TDK DVD-RW. With all the settings etc that I’ve tried I would guess I’ve tried about 20 times.

The XBOX is chipped, and FTP works fine. Infact I’ve got an XNS Streamer going so I don’t have to transfer anything I can just play it through the network.
But for the sake of freeing up HDD space I want to be able to play the files from a DVD!

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

whoops, so you did, my eyes must’ve skipped over that line. :o

did you try what i suggested about looking at the contents of the /D/ folder while the disc is in the drive?

Yeah I also tried to get a file list with a file manager on the XBOX… still nothing :frowning:

sounds like you need: http://www.xbox-scene.com/