Reading Damaged DVDs

I have a few Dvds that my nephew has gotten a hold of and would like to see if i can back them up but my Lite on doesn’t like Damaged discs and don’t want to get into the Scratch Doctor discussion and have read here and there and hear good things about some Pioneers or Sony but would like to hear from some people who have experience in this area or someone to point me in the right way so i can do some good reading

@ mongor64,

Perhaps you could try the IsoPuzzel (http://www.geocities.com/marsoupilamis/DocEnglish.htm) software program to assist you in reading your “Damaged DVDs”.

Reguards,
bjkg

LOL i don’t mean to sound like a buttface but was just looking to justify buying another optic drive so hardware is what i was talking about

@ mongor64,

As per your own above referenced quoted statement from your #1 posting in this thread my reference to the IsoPuzzel software program was an effort to “point me in the right way so i can do some good reading”.

If you find that the previously suggested IsoPuzzel software program is unable to totally read your “Damaged DVDs” you could also try the DVD Disaster (http://dvdisaster.net) software program.

It appears you believe your undisclosed Lite-On Optical Drive has a deficiency in reading your “Damaged DVDs” and ask if a ‘Pioneer” or “Sony” Optical Drive would be more successful in reading your “Damaged DVDs”. It should be noted that many “Sony” Optical Drives are actually “ReBadged” Lite-On Optical Drives. In seeing that you currently have an undisclosed Lite-On Optical Drive it should be noted that in many instances Lite-On Optical Drives are noted as “Good Readers” and as such suggest trying the suggested software programs to assist in retrieving the data from your “Damaged DVDs” before assuming that your undisclosed Lite-On Optical Drive is incapable of performing the data retrieval task.

If after trying the two suggested software programs you believe you need to purchase another Optical Drive perhaps reviewing the information contained in the below referenced Web Page will be helpful to you in selecting an Optical Drive that meets your needs ->

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=18088

Regards,
bjkg

You don’t say whether you’d prefer SATA or PATA (IDE), but for me the latest SATA Samsung drives are excellent readers of dodgy discs. For reading purposes, I’d guess their IDE counterparts would also do the job well. :slight_smile:

Of course, ISOPuzzle, as mentioned by bjkg, is a good option to try if you decide you don’t want to replace your drive. :wink:

Ok i read the dbpoweramp thread and interesting but nothing i was really looking for but good info also as far as sata or pata i don’t mind either way

Then my choice would be the Sammy 223F (SATA).

I have an SATA Sammy in each of my PCs (one is the 223F, the other is a 203N), and while I do burn discs on both occasionally, I use them mainly as readers.

LOL i don’t mean to sound like a buttface but was just looking to justify buying another optic drive so hardware is what i was talking about

The ISO Puzzle is needed even more. It will read the file using as many different drives as you can muster and assembles the correct bits from each read.