Reading a bad disc

I have some home movie DVDs (which I authored and burned) on less-than-quality media, it seems.

What program can read the disc, trying and retrying until it gets all sectors?

–John

Well what do you mean? You are trying to watch them on a DVD player or a PC?

Badcopy pro comes to mind

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

sounds to me like he’s trying to re-rip them and can’t access the data beacuse the burn was so poor.

if that’s the case then it’s very likely you’re screwed.

bad copy pro and ISOBuster are a couple of the more trusted recovery programs.

i’d give it a go with dvd decrypter and ignore read errors for as long as you possible can…this will probably result in am unwatchable copy though if the errors are as bad as you say.

As reasonsnotrules indicated ‘IsoBuster’ should retrieve your info.
Below is a testimonial from the IsoBuster website located Here.

BTW, The free version works just fine. I personally have used it to recover and make a backup of previously scratched game CD’s that my children scratched so badly they would no longer play. It is a software solution to a software problem without all the absurd methods of trying to clean and polish deep scratches and abrasions away which is a waste of time in my opinion.

[I]I was miserable after I had used a wrong command on my DVD Handycam recorder. The menu is not very intuitive on this f… machine and perhaps I am a little too human. All the 40th birthday recordings of my wife were erased ! After many downloaded programs, I found yours.
It’s magic it recovered my movie (and even the movie recorded before…)
Thank you. With your software’s help, I can continue to be alive :wink:

François Cossid, France[/I]

Not only IsoBuster or Badcopy would help, also if the software part fails, you should try it on other drives maybe from a friend etc., which i personally prefer.

I’m trying to re-master it, making new copies on higher-quality media. To do so, I need to read all the files onto a PC. Just doing a copy, I get “CRC Error” or “page-in error”.

How is a scratch a software problem?

I found ISOBuster’s website from a google search for recovery tools, and it sounded like they bypass the file system errors, but it didn’t say anything about re-trying or pulling in “bad” sectors.

I was thinking a more specialized tool might let me get whatever sectors I can, then run the program again on a different drive, different machine, after polishing, different day of the week, etc. to get different sectors to merge in with what was already recovered.

–John

[QUOTE=John Dlugosz;1299484]I was thinking a more specialized tool might let me get whatever sectors I can, then run the program again on a different drive, different machine, after polishing, different day of the week, etc. to get different sectors to merge in with what was already recovered.

–John[/QUOTE]

You have perfectly described ISO Puzzle DVD Recovery: http://www.geocities.com/marsoupilamis/DocEnglish.htm

And it is free, although if it saves your ass, you ought to contribute to the authors PayPal account.

Vincent