Readhacker Tool

<HR>

Thread closed

This tool is obsolete and no longer available. Please use the new [thread=97590]OmniPatcher[/thread].<HR>

Readhacker for LiteOn DVD Writers

What does this do?
This tool modifies the firmware so that it will read burned discs (+R, +RW, -R, -RW) and DVD-Video discs at 8x CAV instead of 6x CAV.

What drives can I use this with?
This tool is designed for the LDW-401S/411S/811S/451S/851S drives. This tool is not intended for use on SOHW-812S drives, as these drives are already set at 8x. If you try to run this tool on the firmware for a 812S drive, the tool will report that all the bytes are already set properly and that no bytes were changed as a result.

Credits
C0deKing really deserves most of the credit here. I would like to thank him for posting the first readhacked firmwares, for showing me where in the long disassembly dump the relevant code was, and for showing me what ‘case’ statements look like in 8052 assembly. :wink:

<HR>Latest version is 1.0.1 (18 Apr 2004)
Download from: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers.html<HR>

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Nice work! I’m glad to see some new coders and crackers on the scene.

How do the drives behave in Kprobe with this mod? Still selectable speeds?

And thanks to all for the effort. :cool:

Tool works perfectly code65536!
Thanks! Just patched FS0H with it.

Edit: Also big thanks to c0deking!

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]How do the drives behave in Kprobe with this mod? Still selectable speeds?

And thanks to all for the effort. [/B]

Interesting question. I haven’t checked, actually. I’ll do so now. My guess (95% sure) is that it will have no effect, as this affects the 6x speed limit for general reading for non-ROM discs. This and the fact that this 8x CAV limit is already in the official 812S firmware, and since this has had no affect on the 812S speed KProbe, I doubt that it would have any affect here, but I will test it just to be sure.

*Edit: Just did a scan of a previously burned disc. KProbe maintained a steady 4x speed as expected, and the results of the scan are pretty similar to a scan made a week ago of the same disc, so there does not appear to be any KProbe-related side-effects associated with this hack.

I am also testing Kprobe effects right now.

Edit: Yes, speeds are selectable. Kprobe behaves as expected, if you type in 8 in the speed textbox or check the Max checkbox, the drive will scan the disc above 6x at around the middle of the disc, reaching 8X near the end of the disc.

[B]How do the drives behave in Kprobe with this mod? Still selectable speeds?

And thanks to all for the effort. :cool: [/B]

I have already tested it. It works exactly the same as before but with 8x when set to max. :slight_smile:

Edit: Sorry I missed your edits before posting.

Thanks code65536 for another excellent tool.

This will make 4x on the fly copying a bit smoother, I like to use the Liteon as the source.

hot tool. Works perfectly. Many many thanks to Codeking and Code65536

Thank :bow: :bow: YOU both, C0deKing & code65536.

This will be a very handy tool in my toolbox.

And the best part of the story…it´s FREE. :bigsmile:

BTW, if you need help with hosting this, let us know…

@ rdgrimes… my new top readspeed is… 8,21X CLV.
Better than yours…heh, he… :bigsmile:

Originally posted by pinto2
@ rdgrimes… my new top readspeed is… 8,21X CLV.
Better than yours…heh, he… :bigsmile:

Interesting CPU usage numbers. :confused:

Interesting CPU usage numbers. :confused:

Edit:nothing unusual for an 411S, from what I can see…
Compare with OC-Freak´s review

:smiley:

the CODE brothers 2^16 and King:

you guys are my vote for best posters of the year in this forum!
you da men!

it would be nice if liteon included a few of these enhancements when they do the next firmware upgrade since CODE brothers proved dvd read speed and speed changes to some media Ritek G03 @ 4x really do work.

anybody got any idea how we could get a little dialog about this with them? since these changes are not eeprom modifications or model changing i would think they would be interested in making the drives themselves do a better job.

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Edit:nothing unusual for an 411S, from what I can see…
Compare with OC-Freak´s review

:smiley: [/B]

Actually, the problem is in CDSpeed. I’ve seen it showing 100% CPU while my system monitor shows 5%.

Originally posted by cnlson
[B]the CODE brothers 2^16 and King:

you guys are my vote for best posters of the year in this forum!
you da men!

it would be nice if liteon included a few of these enhancements when they do the next firmware upgrade since CODE brothers proved dvd read speed and speed changes to some media Ritek G03 @ 4x really do work.

anybody got any idea how we could get a little dialog about this with them? since these changes are not eeprom modifications or model changing i would think they would be interested in making the drives themselves do a better job. [/B]

Thank you. :wink:

I doubt that LiteOn would really be that interested in integrating these changes into their FW. With perhaps the exception of 8x reading for burnt discs. This is because they already implemented this change from 6x to 8x in their 812S models. The fact that they changed it for the 812S means that they probably see that there is some value to bumping it up. Why they haven’t changed it for their older drives is beyond me (Maybe there are problems with this that none of us has run across yet but that they have? Or maybe they don’t like the idea of changing the specs of the drive after it’s been released), but, because of their actions with the 812S, I think that they’re well aware of this 6x-8x thing and thus talking to them probably won’t change much. :confused:

As for overspeed burning, this is a tough area. While I’ve seen many people have great results overspeeding Ricoh R01, there are people who, for one reason or the other–whether their drive seems pickier than others or the media batch they got just sucked–, can’t overspeed the R01s. Your G03 overspeed was successful, but that doesn’t mean that all G03 overspeeds will be successful. It can vary from drive to drive, or more likely, from media batch to media bach. LiteOn’s dilemma is that if they set the G03 to 4x, there will be people who will take that as a gesture from them gauranteeing & assuring that the overspeed will work, which I don’t think is a responsibility that they’re willing to take, given all the different factors that could come into play in determining the success of an overspeed burn.

Is there any chance of reading these at 12x like DVD-Roms? Setting the booktype to DVD-Rom will fool some drives into reading a DVD+R at higher speeds.

G

Originally posted by MediumRare
[B]Is there any chance of reading these at 12x like DVD-Roms? Setting the booktype to DVD-Rom will fool some drives into reading a DVD+R at higher speeds.

G [/B]

See the readme file.

We’ve already tried this. The reading appears unstable if set to 12x, and the speed actually appears to be slower than the 8x setting.

Not that I have any use for this tool, but quick thanks to both Code and c0deKing… Good job fellas…

Ill be awaiting a firmware release supporting bitsetting for the 812S next from you guyz instead of waiting for LiteOn to release it! :bow:

Originally posted by Hypnosis4U2NV
Ill be awaiting a firmware release supporting bitsetting for the 812S next from you guyz instead of waiting for LiteOn to release it!

I will look at this…I cannot understand why the 812S was released without bit setting or why it still does not have it. :confused: Hopefully it’s not a chipset hiccup…

I just need to find out the command that sets the booktype…