Read Zone 2, Write Zone 0

vbimport

I am in the US and have been using DVDfab for a lot of years. Mostly, my husband was using it, but he has passed away in the last few months and I am trying to learn on my own, now.

I now have a zone free Phillips 9550 that will play Zone 2 media, that I have purchased on Ebay, plus family video from relatives over there. I would like to make copies of some of this Zone 2 video, but dvdfab doesn’t seem to want to read it very well, and certainly doesn’t burn it usable at all.

Am I missing a setting where I can easily burn other zone video and write it as it usually does, to zone 0?

I appreciate the help.

Hi GenieB and welcome to cdfreaks,

I’m very sorry to hear of your loss.
I think you’ll find we’re a friendly and helpful bunch.

I believe your problem relates to NTSC vs. PAL, see attached links:

Most burners/software should handle NTSC and PAL formats without any trouble and Fab should be able to copy these R2 discs as well.
The problem is, most US players will not play a PAL disc, including the copy.

Will this R2 copy play ok in your pc?
I’m a little confused as to what you meant by Fab “…doesn’t seem to want to read it very well…”

Most people opt for a player which is NTSC <—> PAL compatible.
They can be had pretty cheaply…probably for about $60-$70

GenieB, you do not need to use dvdfab for home movies that relatives made for you. All you need is ImgBurn to make a copy of the home movies or any program like nero that is used for making and burning home movies and picture slideshows. But like maineman said you need a dvd player that can play both PAL and NTSC movies as region 2 is PAL. You can use dvdfab to make back ups of your R2 movies purchased from ebay but you need to burn at half the rated speed of the media you are using. When you burn at max your dvd back up will probably not work if you are not using good media like verbatim.

Maineman, it sure is nice of you to wade into this and I am very happy to find a helpful forum, especially one that doesn’t shout down the newbies.

I think I resolved my issue, but I will have another question.

Here’s the scenario:

I am working with two films that came free in a newspaper to the people of the UK - I say again FREE. Many folks loaded up with them and sold them on ebay, which I bought two different films. I actually own the US versions but was interested in experimenting with zones due the family video that is going to be swapped around once the grandbaby arrives.

Film 1 and Film 2 both are R2’s. I have tried them on 3 home dvd players and two computer dvd players. Both WILL work on the PC in Power DVD, but I get the Region Counter saying I have so many times left. I will ask about this later.

Both Film1 and Film2 WILL work on the new Phillips 5990 with the zone hack in it. Neither film will work on the new Samsung home dvd player or an older Pioneer DVD/DVR player.

I took both films and ran them through DVDFab Platinum and made copies. That is where I think my original question was, as I had remembered having problems once before - meaning it wouldn’t read R2 - but I must have had that confused with PowerDVD. Copies of both films went flawlessly. Both copies worked on the new Samsung and the new Phillips, but for some strange reason, only one of the copies worked on the older Pioneer.

So, now I feel that there is NO problem with DVDFab, like I thought there was going to be, but the only problem I see now is playing these on the PC. Is there anyway to get around that locking of the PC dvd player - or is that something embedded in the firmware? I know now that I can always burn it first and watch that, but am wondering can I accidentally lock down a PC player if I am not careful.

Again thanks.

You can get a program called anydvd so you can watch them on the PC without changing the drives region. They have a 21 day free trial. Also there is a free program called dvd43 that allows you to watch different region dvd’s on computer. EDIT: you might be able to make the drive region free also but I not know how so you will have to wait for maineman or another member to let you know that.

[QUOTE=GJ;2133844]You can get a program called anydvd so you can watch them on the PC without changing the drives region. They have a 21 day free trial. Also there is a free program called dvd43 that allows you to watch different region dvd’s on computer. EDIT: you might be able to make the drive region free also but I not know how so you will have to wait for maineman or another member to let you know that.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply. I totally missed the first one. Yes, I do see IMGburn on my husband’s system, but have never opened the program. And I did not know that home movies would not be an issue. I figured the family will pull baby video off the camcorder and then burn it - presumably in PAL or R2 (I guess they are the same thing).

Either way, I think I have conquered most of my fears of doing this.

Hi again GenieB,

I would caution you to [B]Not[/B] play any more non-R1 discs in your pc until you resolve this. There is a limit of a total of 5 region changes and then your drive will become locked on the last region played…and that’s it.

As GJ suggested, there is software available to allow you to play other region discs without worrying about region resets.
dvd43 has been around forever, works well and is freeware. As with any on-the-fly decrypter (basically a driver that constantly runs in the background), it can and does cause conflicts, but as long as ther user is aware, it shouldn’t be a problem. The other software mentioned is a competitor with Fab and as such, I won’t comment on it here in the Fab forum.

The best approach if possible, is to flash your burner with region-free firmware. RPC-1 firmware (region-free) is available for many burners.

This of course, begs the question…what burner do you have?

[QUOTE=maineman;2133853]Hi again GenieB,

I would caution you to [B]Not[/B] play any more non-R1 discs in your pc until you resolve this. There is a limit of a total of 5 region changes and then your drive will become locked on the last region played…and that’s it.

[/QUOTE]

I have found another route but am not sure I am hurting any region counting.

I took the original R2 film and copied all the vobs files onto the hard drive. I then asked PowerDVD to read “media file on hard drive” - and it DID - no problem, no dvd player involved - no Region Counter going.

When opening PowerDVD to find the media files, it has a drop down list of formats it reads. It does NOT have the .vob as a supported format, so no files were showing in that directory to select. Instead, in the drop down box, I selected the “ALL FILES .” listed last, which then brought up all the .vob files. I selected the first .vob file of significant file size and the movie began immediately and played straight through. There was a quarter second pause has it switched to the next .vob file, but it played the entire movie beautifully from the hard drive.

So… possibly, there is one more way around the region code counter thingy.