Read/Write to shared Hard drives?

vbimport

I noticed lately that when I shared my folder and hard drives that I can’t write to the hard drive from another computer. They are on the same homegroup password protected but can access but can’t write to the individual hard drives? Am I missing some kinda settings? All my laptop and desktop have 7x64 and 7x86 Ult on them. It would be nice to use one computer and write update info onto another to update that file so I don’t have to use a flash stick to move data around-especially if it gets bigger then the stick. I thought that folder and files sharing would do it will full control but that won’t let me saying I need permission but I thought I already allowed the computers in homegroup to read/write? So I am little confused as to what I am missing in the sharing to make this work???

Hi,

you should use identical user accounts (same username and password) on both computers. Also, you might have to adjust file and folder permissions (right-click on the folder and check the “security” tab).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2560233]Hi,

you should use identical user accounts (same username and password) on both computers.[/quote] Only works for Windows domain users. Local users with the same name have a different origin. (\LAPTOP01\USER01 is not \LAPTOP02\USER01. Even if both laptops had the same name, there would be a different SID, so i think it’s kinda useless.)

Also, you might have to adjust file and folder permissions (right-click on the folder and check the “security” tab).
Michael

Give each and every local user the right access on the share. Read/write is more than enough.

If you want to go completely unprotected you can give the group EVERYONE full control. Now even users outside the network can destroy it.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2560241]Only works for Windows domain users. Local users with the same name have a different origin. (\LAPTOP01\USER01 is not \LAPTOP02\USER01. Even if both laptops had the same name, there would be a different SID, so i think it’s kinda useless.)[/quote]No. :disagree:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/permissions.mspx and
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/share.mspx

Windows 7 users might find these articles interesting:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/homegroup.aspx
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Share-files-with-someone

Give each and every local user the right access on the share. Read/write is more than enough.

For some files, “modify” might be applicable also. Depends on the needs.

Michael

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2560241]Only works for Windows domain users. Local users with the same name have a different origin. (\LAPTOP01\USER01 is not \LAPTOP02\USER01. Even if both laptops had the same name, there would be a different SID, so i think it’s kinda useless.)

If you want to go completely unprotected you can give the group EVERYONE full control. Now even users outside the network can destroy it.[/QUOTE]

Well my setup is password protect so no one from outside can just walk inside…

[QUOTE=mciahel;2560233]Hi,

you should use identical user accounts (same username and password) on both computers. Also, you might have to adjust file and folder permissions (right-click on the folder and check the “security” tab).

Michael[/QUOTE]

I was kinda afraid that is something I would have to do to each hard drive and folders to gain Write access to them…and I thought I correctly did the setup in homegroups… what a drag…but I can read and play the video and copy the files but not write from one computer to another…or to another hard drive on my desktop from my laptop. I tried to remove sharing feature and reshare the HDD but couldn’t get the “Homegroup Read/Write” feature to come back… :sad: So if anyone knows what I did wrong why I can’t get this back would be great help. Oh yeah my desktop has 5 HDD on each sata connector that is why I was trying to do the homegroup so I could access the HDD on the desktop if I was using the laptop so I wouldn’t have to be at the desktop and writing and moving files from laptop to desktop for storage and so forth but being only able to read well just kinda puts a crimp in the networking solution… :doh:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2560319]No. :disagree:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/permissions.mspx and
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/share.mspx

[/quote]
Err, both links do not tell me if i can make seperate users on seperate machines have equal rights, solely based upon their user name.

Nevermind… this is simple file sharing. I was way overthinking this.

They arey both workgroup members and is their security based upon the workgroup level simple file sharing method.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2560441]Err, both links do not tell me if i can make seperate users on seperate machines have equal rights, solely based upon their user name.[/quote]The user account must exist on the “server” computer. If the same account (user name and password) exists on both, the server and the client computer, this user can access the shared folders without entering his credentials.
Of course it is also possible to have different accounts, e.g. user_s on the server computer and user_c on the client machine. In this case, the user on the client has to enter the “server user’s” credentials.

Nevermind… this is simple file sharing. I was way overthinking this.
The method above works on my “family network”, and I have the “simple file sharing” option disabled.
I have to admit, that I did not read the articles I linked to, carefully :doh:

Michael

By no means this reply is meant to outperform, impress or scare away the original poster or any other read. Just trying to clear some things. If it makes things even more unclear, please delete this post.

This is how it works on a domain:

To my knowledge if a user is created on a certain computer, it gets a unique identifier (SID). A user on another computer (other domain/workgroup/local computer), even if it has the same name, will get a different unique identifier (different SID).

For instance: When you delete an active directory item (user,computer, whatever) and recreate it, it will get a different SID. Since everything relating permissions and security is based upon the SID, and not the name, it will not work.

After some reading around i found out about Windows 7 homegroup:

Have you ever tried to share files on your home network but found that dealing with folder permissions and user accounts was just too frustrating? You aren’t alone; the process can aggravate experienced IT pros and home enthusiasts alike. Just imagine how your parents feel when they try to share files across their home computers.

HomeGroup helps simplify file and printer sharing among computers that run Windows® 7 on your home network. Domain-joined computers can also join your homegroup, so you can bring your work laptop home and access your music collection. You can set up HomeGroup as easily as you log on to most password-protected Web sites. HomeGroup is a feature of Windows 7, and Home Premium or better is required to create a HomeGroup.

Yeah, I know it just a pain in the A**&&. As I found out I would not have to only give premission to the HDD drive itself but have to go to each individual folders and give homegroup Read/Write permission to be just able to write to each folder. I was like you got to be kidding I got a 1TB and 2TB drive with lots of folders and to just do that would just let’s just say it just cooks my noodles. I thought it would be a simple process to setup the Read/Write but looks like it is just Read but if you want to move files it can only be copied not moved-moved… :doh: I know cause I did a property on different folders in those HDD and yes you can give Homegoup Read/Write access to each folder but man that is alot of work just to be able to Read/Write to the folders. And if you create new folder you have to do the same setup as well for Read/Write in homegroup…if you remember to do it the first time and correctly… :doh:

Reporting back I found out what and how I was able to move files from one computer to another computer my desktop that had the multiple HDD setups. I had to give read/write access to the root of each HDD in order to be able to transfer files from the laptop to the desktop HDD. But making a folder in the desktop HDD and making it read/write doesn’t work even though all the permission and settings show read/write to homegroup. So I don’t know why that setup doesn’t work but writing to the main of the HDD in the desktop will work. So I guess there is a limit to the sharing and homegroups…