Read speed unlock for LiteOn's?

I noticed that some Pioneer as well as NEC drives have a read speed increase mods available (aka rip speed locks)

Anyone know a reason why such a mod does not exist for the LiteOn? :sad:

Hi,

I´m quite new on this.

Can you please explain more in detail what you are talking about. :slight_smile:

TIA

As far as I know there is no lock on any Liteon drive.

pinto2, some drives have built in read limits for certain types of media.
For example, a BrandX DVD-ROM drive could have a read speed limit of 4x for a DVD+R type media.

This means, if you put in a DVD+R media in this drive, the drives’ software will then prevent it from reading the media at the maximum speed (16x) and ripping from this media will take longer.
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

I was wondering if the speeds used are the maximum physical speed that can be achieved.

For example when you use the bit setting tool to change the booktype from +R to -ROM the read speed goes up from that point forward to 12x as opposed to 6x on a disc that is actually +R. A great improvement.

I was wondering why there isn’t a mod to achieve this with all media (or at least +R/-R media).

Make sense now? :confused:

ok on my drives (411s 811s) booktype makes no difference they still rip at the slower speeds.

if i throw it into my 48161h it makes a difference but not in either of the burners.

Perhaps I was mistaken about 12x, but I know it is supposed to read the +R with -ROM booktype at 8x at least…

Originally posted by Ssseth
For example when you use the bit setting tool to change the booktype from +R to -ROM the read speed goes up from that point forward to 12x as opposed to 6x on a disc that is actually +R.

Mine DVD+r disc recorded as DVD-ROM only get to 6X reading speed

Well then… I distinctively remember OC-Freak said it was supposed to rip at higher speeds when +R is set to DVD-ROM so that is why I say it… I’ve never used the tool myself as I still have to finish up my -R media.

OC bail me out here! :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Ssseth
Perhaps I was mistaken about 12x, but I know it is supposed to read the +R with -ROM booktype at 8x at least…

Can’t remember having said that :confused:

Discs set to DVD-ROM still reads at the same speeds as discs not set to DVD-ROM. So it seems the drives is still recognizing the discs as recorded discs, even if the book type is set to DVD-ROM.

My JLMS XJ-HD165H CH12 still maxes out at 8.5x even if the disc is written with DVD-ROM booktype… And for Lite-On DVD-Writers it will be 6x max.

Off topic:
To give you something to think of: discs set to DVD-ROM will still be detected as DVD-R or DVD+R in a Pioneer DVR-106D writer - regardless of what program you use… No I don’t know why - but it seems the book type setting is not 100% reliable?

Another note:
Lite-On do not have any DVD-Video read speed lock. But like most other drives the reading speed is lower for dual layer discs and recordable discs. The only drives I know of that have NO read speed limits at all is Toshiba SD-M1612 and SD-M1712 with hacked firmware. Even reads DVDR/RW discs at 16x speed (or at least tries to, so far they have slowed down near the end on all DVDR/RW discs).

Perhaps I am mistaken then. Although I know it was talked about not too long ago in this forum.

It could be the lack of sleep is getting to me! :iagree:

goes back to searching

we i’ve noticed much faster speeds with booktype set to dvd-rom ive had up to x14 when reading a dvd+r set to this book type Ssseth is right there is a big diffrence

a dvd+r/rw with booktype dvd-rom will typically get read as fast as a pressed single layer dvd-rom in most dvd drives, assuming that the quality of the disc is high enough that slowdowns don’t occur during high-speed reading. my discs get read at full speed in my 166S, even though the 166S can differentiate between the disc’s booktype and the actual media type:

Book Type                                                         DVD-ROM
Media Type                                                          DVD+R

however, some drives appear to ignore the booktype, such as my 1300A. it always identifies a dvd+r’s booktype as dvd+r, even if it’s set to dvd-rom (it will still identify a dvd+rw’s booktype correctly).

Originally posted by AZImmortal
[B]a dvd+r/rw with booktype dvd-rom will typically get read as fast as a pressed single layer dvd-rom in most dvd drives, assuming that the quality of the disc is high enough that slowdowns don’t occur during high-speed reading. my discs get read at full speed in my 166S, even though the 166S can differentiate between the disc’s booktype and the actual media type:

Book Type                                                         DVD-ROM
Media Type                                                          DVD+R

however, some drives appear to ignore the booktype, such as my 1300A. it always identifies a dvd+r’s booktype as dvd+r, even if it’s set to dvd-rom (it will still identify a dvd+rw’s booktype correctly). [/B]

Sure? With my JLMS XJ-HD165H it still reads at max 8.5x…

i’m sure this is what happens on my 166S, but maybe “typically” was too strong a word, as i probably haven’t seen this happen to enough drives to say that. i see it happen with a handful of drives. here’s a scan of one of my dvd+rs set to dvd-rom in my 166S:

http://utenti.lycos.it/easygoingman/4x%20DVD+R.jpg

As you can see, there is already a hacked firmware available for Toshiba drives which allows to read DVD+R / +RW / -R /-RW at full speed.

When the DVD+ is bookmarked as DVD-Rom, it can be read full speed on any DVD-drive. There is no hack necessary!

The reason why DVD burners read DVD+ @ DVD-Rom with only limited speed is that the burner can still recognize the difference between an ordinary DVD-Rom and a DVD+ @ DVD-Rom. For example, you can still record on a DVD+ with DVD-Rom booktype, but you cannot record on an ordinary DVD-Rom.

I think that is where I got confused. That a DVD-ROM drive will read at full speed.
I got that point mixed up with the burner reading at a higher speed. Thanks for that guys.

Still, can’t a mod be done to allow DVD±R ripped @ 12x? :slight_smile: