Read problems with burner

I got a 40125S flashed to 48125S with VS08. The drive hasn’t been performing flawlessly like I read everyone elses has. The biggest problem I’ve got with mine is the reading is inconsistant.

I just got some generic CMC discs with me which are supposedly 48x but I just burn at 32x and 24x. The burns are fine except when I perform a cd quality check with cdspeed. Some discs seem to be perfect while others get tonnes of read errors. Lately I’ve been getting more and more discs with errors. What’s odd is if I try the discs in anything else like my old Plextor 1210a or my Pioneer A04 they read fine without any problems.

I’d prefer to keep CAV writing rather than falling back to Zone CLV but I’m not even sure what the cause of the problem is at this time… any clues?

CMC media is very dodgy. Try burning at even lower speeds. I know it sucks when you have a 48x but if you want it without errors… :slight_smile:

Or try some other (better) media.

Okay. I think I’ve just been generally unlucky with my media these days… The last couple hundred I’ve bought seem to be really bad where cdspeed would always report errors but it’s still a little odd how other burners can run the test with no errors.

The last few spindles I’ve gotten have been mainly from Prodic (which worked fairly well for me in the pas) and CMC Magnetics (same with these) but lately the quality has been really bad. I’ll be sure to pick up some Taiyo Yudens from now on to see if the problem continues.

I’d prefer to keep CAV writing rather than falling back to Zone CLV but I’m not even sure what the cause of the problem is at this time… any clues?

The 40x drive is not Z-CLV, it’s P-CAV (above 16x).
Many “overclocked” 40x drives have similar problems with read-errors. They can be very media-picky. considering that most of the so-called 48x media is not really up to the task, and actual burn times are not so different at 48x, why not just leave your burner at 40x? Even on my 52x drive, I burn at 40x if I need the disc to be reliable.