Read Only DVD

vbimport

I recently backed up my music to DVD RW with IMGBurn. One disk contained a duplicate folder. When I tried to delete the extra folder from the disk; I noticed there was no delete option. I checked properties and found that the DVD was read only.

1. What settings could I have changed in IMGBurn to make the DVD read only.

2.I have been denied access to change the read only option. Logging on as admin dose not change this. How can I change this as well?

You cannot use a DVDRW disk in the manner you want without using packet writing software, like Nero InCD. And ImgBurn does not support multisession burns at all, as far as I am aware. The author has said it might be added at some time in the future, but seems to be a low priority.

To do what you are talking about, look at the 4th post in this thread: http://club.myce.com/f48/nero-how-delete-files-dvd-rw-145602/
Nero is not a free program however, and InCD has been notoriously buggy for years.

Which operating system are you using? Windows Vista and Win7 have a built in packet writing system called Live File System: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=536

Think of it as an etch-a-sketch, where you can only clear out the whole drawing.

If you want to be able to randomly remove things from a disc there are two ways to do it…

Copy everything to an empty harddrive, edit what you want to edit erase the entire disc and burn it again.

the other way is to use a DVD-RAM disc which WILL allow you to do what you are describing.

Frankly I wouldn’t back anything up to a DVD-RW, because the
amorphous pits gradually revert to their native crystalline state effectively erasing your data over time.

THe use for a DVD-RW is to verify that you are burning it “correctly” before using a “write once” disc to do the same job.

But burned optical discs are never as good as a safe storage media for backing up important data to another harddrive that you DISCONNECT after making your copy.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2550826]Frankly I wouldn’t back anything up to a DVD-RW, because the amorphous pits gradually revert to their native crystalline state effectively erasing your data over time.[/quote] “But captain, if we do not rotate the dilithium crystals she’ll explode!” :slight_smile:

Your explanation is perfect, but i think it’s also mumbo-jumo for the average user. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2551011]“But captain, if we do not rotate the dilithium crystals she’ll explode!” :slight_smile:
[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap: