Read error

vbimport

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I’m a 55 year old woman from Iowa and I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers but I’m having a problem now I have not been able to solve. I have Sony PC with a Philips 117R dvd drive. I’m trying to burn a DVD RW+ on an external HP 200e DVD burner and I’m using Roxio as my software. I’ve done this many times in the past but since I had some repairs done on my computer it won’t burn. I’m getting a read errror that says " Pioneer DVD Rom 117R unrecovered read error (03/11/05." At first I thought I just needed to update my driver but it does not appear I need an updated driver. Then I thought maybe it was a read error on the HP burner side but because the error refers to the Philips drive I don’t think that’s the case. My operating system is Windows XP. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

If the error refers to the Phillips drive, that means it cannot read the disc. Maybe cleaning it will help or it could be that the disc is copy protected.

I have Sony PC with a Philips 117R dvd drive.

I am not actually familiar with this model, can you right the exact model number down?

At first I thought I just needed to update my driver but it does not appear I need an updated driver. Then I thought maybe it was a read error on the HP burner side but because the error refers to the Philips drive I don’t think that’s the case.
So if i understand correctly, you are trying to copy a disk, using the philips drive as a reader and the external drive as a writer, and somewhere in between you get an error by roxio that refers to the philips drive, therefore the reading process?

I made a mistake - it’s a Pioneer DVD Rom, not a Philips. My Sony VAIO is model number PCV RX572.

What I’m trying right now is this - I’m bypassing my Pioneer DVD ROM drive. Instead of going from my Pioneer DVD ROM drive and then burning to the HP 200E drive I’m just caching on the HP burner drive and then will burn the new DVD from there. I hope this makes sense. I will let you know if it works.

Well…it worked! I still don’t know why my DVD ROM won’t read the DVD but my HP did so the problem is solved. Thank you to those who responded to my question and thank you for this forum!

I spoke too soon. It worked on the first DVD but now I’m getting a “device” error on the HP writer. Arghhh! This is frustrating!

The HP 200 is fairly old, it may need to be cleaned using a cd cleaner disc.

The source is what exactly? Does it have a copy protection?

The source is a DVD of my grandkids, it’s not copy protected. I never thought that it may need cleaning. I will try that. Thanks.

I think [B]chef[/B] is referring to the DVD burner while you maybe referring to the DVD disk itself. Maybe both could do with a clean.

I guess my response did sound like I meant the disk instead of the burner. I will clean the burner and see what happens.