RE: What Reader/Writer combo to get

vbimport

Hi all

I know this has been done to death but am new to this fourm and am doing some research for my new rig.
I am lookin for a CD/DVD combo set (ie reader and writer). But am open to suggestions as I already have a CD writer. (Plextor)
I want to be able copy backup everything, games, software, DVD’s CD’s protections or not.
As far as i am aware a CD/DVD is a collection of 1’s and 0’s in a certain pattern on a disk. I want to copy these 1’s and 0’s in that pattern to a new disk not that hard you would think!!. I know this can be done on a floppy disk why not on CD/DVD ( its 1’s and 0’s after all.)
What I want to do is make an “exact” copy of the original disk.
I have a CD writer at the moment and it will copy most things accept protections. I want to upgrade on this by copying everything protections, bad blocks ect ect…

Should I go for a duplicator will this copy cd protections?
I am open to suggestions/ flames ect :slight_smile:
What would you recommend??

Rgds

George…

1.) Crossposting is frowned upon.
2.) You have your terminology a bit mixed up, “Combo” drive indicates a drive that reads and burns CDs but only reads DVDs, not burns them.
3.) Copying said 1’s and 0’s is possible if said DVD source is only single layer, dual layer will mean you will have to strip extras or reencode, or both, or buy expensive dual layer media.
4.) Sounds like a Plextor PX-716A might be a good choice, if you’re facing strong copy protection, but everyday DVD protection can be defeated on any drive.

And so are members who take it upon themselves to moderate the forum. Your efforts are appreciated–it’s really nice to see people who care enough to look out for things–but usually, doing this has been known in the past to cause animosity or even conflict between members. In the future, please just use the report bad post button. It’s more discreet, it will allow us to judge the situation and, if we deem it necessary, deal with the situation in a way that is most appropriate (we tend to be a fairly easy-going with first-timers, but more severe with regulars who should know better), and most importantly, the RBP sends us an e-mail (we don’t actually read every post that gets posted, so unless something is brought to our attention, there’s a chance that we’ll never even notice it; posting in a thread “moderator, please deal with this” has a much lower chance of response than a RBP saying the same). :slight_smile:

Anyway, since it seems like that the thread in the Newbie forum is getting a healthy number of replies, I’ll close this one. And welcome to CD Freaks…