Re Sampling rates on sound cards

vbimport

I’d like to turn some of my LPs into CDs on my Dell Dimension XP. I tried 2, using a brand-new quality turntable and Free Sound Recorder, but the results were very unsatisfactory.

I suspect this may be due to a low-quality built-in sound chip on this machine, so I’m thinking of buying a sound card. But I noticed that most of them seem to sample at 48 KHz, which strikes me as way too low to deliver quality sound on an LP. I have the impression that for really good quality sound, you need to sample ata rate somewhere in excess of 100 KHz.

Can anyone speak knowledgeably about the sampling rate, and/or about Free Sound Recorder?

Can anyone tell me if they’ve had good results converting LPs to CDs, and if so, what software and hardware did you use?

Tnx.

Well realize that rather high quality CD recordings are at 44Khz and recorded at a high bit rate, so 48Khz should be fine. LP’s are frequency limited by design, and cannot come near the S/N that we can get in digital recordings of today, don’t get me wrong LP’s still sound great.

Does the software your using allow you to check to volume or line level that comming out of your player? The level needs to be high enough but not at the point where it would be clipping.

Also some onboard audio just plain sucks. There are new MB’s with high quality audio on them, but most are pretty bad. So you might want to invest in a decent sound card. Do you know what the on board sound is on you PC.

Uhm… 44.1Khz is more than enough, sample rate in this matter is frequency range and you sure as hell dont hear a 100 KHz tone.
//Danne

Welcome to the forum Toscanini

You didn’t mention in your post which turntable you have or how your connecting it.
You may need a preamp if you intend to connect it directly to the “line in” of your sound card. If you don’t have a preamp, then just route the turntable through your HiFi amp via the turntable input (this should have a preamp) then take a lead from the “line out” socket of your amp to the “line in” on the sound card.

Here’s my hardware & software setup:

1. Turntable: new (reconditioned, I think) Audio-technica ATPL50.

This turntable is set to the “low-level” output setting, and connects to my amp via the standard RCA plugs on the back, labelled Phono.

1. Amp (receiver): Technics. Can;'t see the model number on the front.

2. Connection: The tape output on the receiver (which would normally be input to a tape deck) is fed into the INPUT jack on the sound card.

This setup plays perfectly clearly and accurately through the speakers attached to my computer.

1. sound card: Forte Media 801. This is an inexpensive sound card.

2. Software: Free Sound Recorder, set to record a WAV file.

3. Computer: Dell Dimension 4300.

I’ve tested the file that FSR creates, and it’s very badly distorted.

What sound card and software do others recommend? I know that Free Sound Recorder is used by lots of people, who are apparently happy with it.

Have you tried adjusting the recording level to a point where it isn’t clipping?

I’ve got the volume set way down in Free Sound Recorder when I record.

Thats probably one of the problems, lower signal levels are more susceptable to noise.

Personally I would connect the phono player directly to the sound card and you can monitor the recording level and sound from there in the software. I would also try a higher output level from the phono player.

I’m not sure if Winamp has a simple way to record a sound cards input, its free but the pro version might be necessary ~$10. Anyone know?

I’ll try that. Nothing to lose. Tho I don’t fully understand why passing the signal through the amplifier would degrade it–after all, I’m listening to the output of the turntable (tho not the processed output) and it sounds fine.

TO: Eric93SE

I set the switch on the turntable to the “high” position (I imagine that that uses a simple, built-in amp to boost the output from the cartridge) and tried that.

The sound level is acceptable, but the distortion is not. That suggests to me that the problem might well be the sound card.

I’d like to know what sound cards (not too expensive, please) folks have had good luck with, in terms of converting tapes or LPs to CDs.

Can you upload a sample piece of the music so that we can hear the distortion. You can convert the file to MP3 using Winamp, when the file is playing in winamp right click the file and select “send to”, and then “format converter”. That will allow you to change the file to an MP3. then you can upload the file to a host like www.rapidshare.de

Is there a web site that has reviewed your current sound card, I took a look eariler and couldn’t find one, please post it if you know of one.

I deleted all the files I made with this soundcard (and emptied the trash). I un-installed this soundcard (software-uninstall–have not yet physically removed it) and tried the on-board sound chip (made by Analog Devices) and it works much better. That leads me to conclude that this is a really horrible sound card.

I’m gonna get a better card and see what happens.

Check out these cards, whatever is in your budget, Link. Also I’m pretty sure a new/quality sound card should come with software to record.

Great minds think alike–NewEgg was my first stop in looking for a card. Tnx for your response.