Re-reading of data in EAC secure mode

I tried to extract the audio from a badly scratched disc, using eac. At this one place, the program tried to re-read data over and over again. I was wondering if it’s worth it to try to extract the audio from a very badly scratched disc? I mean, if the burner has to re-read data a couple of thousand times it must shorten the lifespan of the burner, right?

i think, in this case you have to decide what you love more. the cd burner or the songs you want to extract. EAC is a program which makes the extraction possible. the choice is yours. but then again… you dont get many scratched discs again and again.

a new burner is cheap, but still more expensive than getting another audio cd :stuck_out_tongue:

what special music is on this CD that you can’t get it from somewhere or someone else?

cd’s can only correct very small scratches on discs. if its that bad - try doing a disc copy to a cd-rw using clonecd or something like that, at very low speed. see if you can tell the difference between the resulting cd and the scratched one. if you cant - extract the resulting cd with eac, and save yourself some trouble.

The Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) is pretty high for a burner. Ripping a badly scratched cd should be no problem, unless you are going to do a lot of rips of badly scratched cds. A problem that might occur is overheating of the drive. This could kill your drive. EAC has an option to stop ripping after a certain period of time, in order to cool down the drive.

Alright, thanks very much for the suggestions guys! Appreciate it.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
The Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) is pretty high for a burner. Ripping a badly scratched cd should be no problem, unless you are going to do a lot of rips of badly scratched cds. A problem that might occur is overheating of the drive. This could kill your drive. EAC has an option to stop ripping after a certain period of time, in order to cool down the drive.