Re: Lite-On SOHC812s

vbimport

hello guys,

do you know when this new product will be out in the market? i saw this at www.liteonit.com and it boasts itself with 8x speed both in +/-. i want to buy one soon and thinking of getting the 811s but do you think i should wait for the 812s instead?

i’m also thinkin of getting either the 411s or the 811s if the 812s will not be available here in Canada (vancouver in particular). which will you recommend for first time buying this dvd burner?

thanks for your help and info.

whats up now with this drive?
release?
firmware?

anybody idea?

According to the internal information I have: The firmware for this drive have not yet reached final stage so it’s not shipping yet.

So I think you have to wait about a month more before you see it in stores.

Do you think it would be worth the wait for this new model or should I go with 811s? My only concern is to back-up my DVD movies to play on my stand-alone player. I heard that using 4x -R is the best for backing-up movies as 8x -R will have a problem playing on most dvd players. Is this true? Thanks.

If +R media is the same price in your area then you can use the bit setting utility (found in Tools guide in my sig) to make the +R discs just as compatible as -R ones so there would be no clear advantage to using -R except if cost is a factor (again depends on what area you are in).
Generally speaking LiteOn DVD burners tend to burn quality +R media a tad better then quality -R media.
So if +R media is the same price (or cheaper) get a 811S, buy some nice media and be on your way :smiley:

I think I’m gonna get myself the Lite-On 811s esp. after reading the bit-setting tool forum. Now I can changed the format of +R/+RW to DVD-ROM. Now one last thing for 811S model:

1. what is the latest firmware that is compatible with bit setting tools?

2. what is the latest version of bit setting tool compatible to the latest firmware in question1?

3. is it easy to upgrade the firmware?

4. what brand of +R/RW is best for this drive?

5. what brand of -R/RW is best for this drive?

6. what software will you recommend for backing-up DVD?

with your answer to my questions: these wil help me simplify things.

Thanks so much for the help! :bow:

also what’s the difference between the brand name and the media code? when buying a media, does it shows the media code on the packaging?

hey there,

i just received an email from Lite-On It and they said the 812s will be out in the market by end of March. But i guess it still has to undergo testing and criticism with regards to the firmware, the drive, etc. Also the price might be higher than 811s.

when i buy now the 811 i miss the DVD-R 8x function.

Originally posted by eap_44
[B]I think I’m gonna get myself the Lite-On 811s esp. after reading the bit-setting tool forum. Now I can changed the format of +R/+RW to DVD-ROM. Now one last thing for 811S model:

1. what is the latest firmware that is compatible with bit setting tools?

Anything newer then HS0E.

1. what is the latest version of bit setting tool compatible to the latest firmware in question1?

Any version (there are only two)

1. is it easy to upgrade the firmware?

Yes

1. what brand of +R/RW is best for this drive?

Do some searching and you will find the answer.
(Ricoh and TY are my favs)

1. what brand of -R/RW is best for this drive?

See above
(Ritek and TY my favs)

1. what software will you recommend for backing-up DVD?

The bundled RecordNow is a great little burning program. My favorite method for backup up DVD’s can be found in the link in my signature (AnyDVD/CloneDVD mehod). The free software method many people use is DVD Decrypter / DVD Shrink, check out the Guide and Tutorials section on CDFreaks for more info.

with your answer to my questions: these wil help me simplify things.

Thanks so much for the help! :bow: [/B]

would it be worth to wait for the 812s considering the features?

My favorite method for backup up DVD’s can be found in the link in my signature (AnyDVD/CloneDVD mehod).

how can you use the booktype setting if your using anyDVD/cloneDVD method? do you run the booktype program before you start using the cloneDVD as this program (cloneDVD) has a self-burning mode.

isn’t that the booktype program has to be performed before any burning takes place?