Re: Lite-On Booktype setting

vbimport

#1

i have a question regarding booktype setting. after you change the setting and while the program is running, you open your burning progran —> Nero. under nero there’s an option to check the “Force DVD-Video compatibility mode”, do i have to check that box while booktype is running behind? will that create conflict with Lite-On Booktype Setting program?


#2

the booktype and force settings are completely independent of each other.

booktype is for dvd+r/w media. it causes the playback device to see the media as DVD-ROM type media

it is not possible to do this with -r/w media since their booktype is hardwritten on the media and not able to be changed

Force DVD-Video compatibility mode seems to come into play if you are writting a non video dvd to play on xbox.

if you choose dvd-video in the nero wizard there is no option for it anyway.


#3

thanks for the information.


#4

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cnlson
[B]the booktype and force settings are completely independent of each other.

booktype is for dvd+r/w media. it causes the playback device to see the media as DVD-ROM type media

I have a question, so thought I’d just place it in this thread. Should a person be using this “booktype” feature on all his +R/RW DVD’s? I currantly have the 411s, with firmware FSOH, and have been using nothing but +R/RW Discs. So far, they have played in the only two DVD players I have tried them on. But, just to be on the safe side, in case my parents, brothers, want to watch one of my copied DVD’s, should I be using the booktype on everything, or not worry about it?
thanks,
coadman


#5

just to be on the safe side, i would to the booktype setting for all your +r/rw to make sure it will play for most of your dvd players.

what brand of media are you using both for +r/rw?


#6

Originally posted by eap_44
[B]just to be on the safe side, i would to the booktype setting for all your +r/rw to make sure it will play for most of your dvd players.

what brand of media are you using both for +r/rw? [/B]

Right now I have a few Memorex left(maybe 3), which are CMC, and I just recieved some TDK which I ordered from Best Buy hoping for Ritek, but they again checked out to be CMC(but I did burn a movie to one last night and checked it out in DVDinfoPro, and had No errors)
coadman


#7

Originally posted by cnlson
[B]the booktype and force settings are completely independent of each other.

booktype is for dvd+r/w media. it causes the playback device to see the media as DVD-ROM type media

it is not possible to do this with -r/w media since their booktype is hardwritten on the media and not able to be changed

Force DVD-Video compatibility mode seems to come into play if you are writting a non video dvd to play on xbox.

if you choose dvd-video in the nero wizard there is no option for it anyway. [/B]

I’m sorry but you are incorrect. Under nero when I choose DVD Video, I still have the DVD video compatibility mode box under recorders/options. There seems to be a contradiction in your post as you seem to hint this option is for non dvd video, yet the option says clearly “DVD Video high compatibility”.

What this option does really is pad your DVD video with data so that it will be at least 1 GB in size. I always leave this option on, and whenever you are creating a DVD video disc that is less than 1 GB, this option will kick in and pad the DVD so it will at least be 1Gb in size. If your DVD Video being created exceeds 1GB this option will not do anything and won’t come up at all. It’s preferable to always leave that option checked. The only disadvantage is that if you make lots of dvd video discs that are below 1GB, it requires more time to complete the burn, but at least you have peace of mind. Whether you are playing on XBOX or a standalone DVD Player, I would leave this option checked/enabled at all times. You may have trouble playing your DVD Video on your XBOX and some standalone players if this option isn’t checked.


#8

Originally posted by Rimmer66
[B]I’m sorry but you are incorrect. Under nero when I choose DVD Video, I still have the DVD video compatibility mode box under recorders/options. There seems to be a contradiction in your post as you seem to hint this option is for non dvd video, yet the option says clearly “DVD Video high compatibility”.

What this option does really is pad your DVD video with data so that it will be at least 1 GB in size. I always leave this option on, and whenever you are creating a DVD video disc that is less than 1 GB, this option will kick in and pad the DVD so it will at least be 1Gb in size. If your DVD Video being created exceeds 1GB this option will not do anything and won’t come up at all. It’s preferable to always leave that option checked. The only disadvantage is that if you make lots of dvd video discs that are below 1GB, it requires more time to complete the burn, but at least you have peace of mind. Whether you are playing on XBOX or a standalone DVD Player, I would leave this option checked/enabled at all times. You may have trouble playing your DVD Video on your XBOX and some standalone players if this option isn’t checked. [/B]

thanks for the info! i guess the smallest dvd-video i have burned is well over 2 gig so i never would have guessed. i have cancelled a burn before and wondered why it took a long time to quit. now i know.

thanks!


#9

so by leaving this option checked, does it create conflict to your booktype setting?:rolleyes:


#10

Absolutely not - This option in nero and the booktype are 2 different things Leaving that option checked will NOT affect your booktype setting, it’s simply an option to create compatibility borders and padding your DVD ROM to make it look bigger than 1GB for compatibility issues, your booktype will remain what you set it to.

I have personally tested this myself and can confirm it. Here’s how I set things up.

I’m using 811S (real retail) with HSOP and official booktype 1.4 from LiteON. I set booktype to DVD-ROM, once it says that the change is done I close the booktype program ( you don’t need to leave it open ) I then open up nero, make sure the dvd high compatibility mode is enabled, and I burn away, nero will determine for you if this option will be used or not, so you might as well leave it on.

Someone reported earlier that this option is for XBOX and also works for non dvd video - so the best thing for you is to run some tests with small dvd video discs (< 1GB) and see if it plays on different DVD players. If you have no compatibility problems you might as well disable it, if it works for you, and it will take much less time to complete a burn.

I may have made a mistake earlier, the option is dvd high compatibility, and is not strictly reserved for dvd video if I’m correct, so sorry about the confusion.
:slight_smile:


#11

thanks for the clarification!

another thing, if i want to use anyDVD/cloneDVD programs instead of nero as my burning software, is it ok to run the booktype setting first?


#12

It’s not only ok, it’s a must to run it before you start the burning app :slight_smile:


#13

Do you leave the LiteOn bitsetting program running
before and after the burn?

When do you close it? After you remove the DVD
from burner?

Can you use any burning software with the
bit setting program? DVD X Copy Express ??

thanks,
KK55


#14

Most answers about the bit setting program will be found in the official bit setting thread.

I would be great if you could post there so questions don’t get spread out all over the place.


#15

Originally posted by KK55
Do you leave the LiteOn bitsetting program running
before and after the burn?

You don’t need to leave it running. You set it once. Open up the booktype utility, set your booktype, click OK, get confirmation, then you can close the program. Of course next time you reboot your machine you will have to run the booktype utility again.

[b]

When do you close it? After you remove the DVD
from burner?
[/b]

Read above…

[b]

Can you use any burning software with the
bit setting program? DVD X Copy Express ??
[/b]

I’ve used NERO, alcohol, MyDVD, DVDLAB, FantomCD/DVD, so I’m pretty sure it will work with any burning application, since it is totally transparant to your burning software. UNLESS of course the burning software happens to have its own bitsetting tool, but it’s unlikely that it will work on the liteon anyway.


#16

i ve used the bitsett 1.4 and the 411 with the new firmware.
i make a copy with dvd+rw ricoh and dvd+r verbatim.no booktype.

works this tool when i copy on the fly or iso image??

i use nero 5.5.10.54