RE-Installing Win XP SP2

vbimport

Hi
I have legal copy or WinXP, SP2 and over the last many months I have downloaded updated from MS. I know there are some to avoid as they may be restrictive or cause problems.
I so not remember which to try to avoid. Is there a list or other info that is helpful with this?

Thanks
Moen

Go for SP3
It should bring you close to "up to date"
Don’t kow how many updates there are after SP3, but should be a short list.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=68c48dad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

I know there are some to avoid as they may be restrictive or cause problems.

all Windows updates should be applied.

If your machine is AMD based and had the OS pre-installed SP3 will kill your machine. There is an entry in the Registry that must be deleted before you install SP3. Look it up at Microsoft as you will have a non functioning machine. It is called IntelPPL.

You should slipstream your xp sp2 to xp sp3 from the SP3 download on M$ site with the nlite program and as well as following Zathros advice making sure your CPU isn’t AMD. Download the correct fix as well and use the nlite program to integrate your xp and making it a new xp sp3 with the CPU fix as well to avoid nasty surprises when you reformat your computer.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2163184]You should slipstream your xp sp2 to xp sp3 from the SP3 download on M$ site with the nlite program and as well as following Zathros advice making sure your CPU isn’t AMD. Download the correct fix as well and use the nlite program to integrate your xp and making it a new xp sp3 with the CPU fix as well to avoid nasty surprises when you reformat your computer.[/QUOTE]

thanks, but I have never slipstreamed, but would like to try.

Thanks to all for their advice. Also, how do you download the sp3 update withot it automatically installing…HELP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

luckily the AMD bug did not effect me. AMD Athlon XP 2400+ :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=moen;2163471]thanks, but I have never slipstreamed, but would like to try.[/QUOTE]
Here’s a good step-by-step nLite tutorial :
http://www.askvg.com/the-best-and-the-easiest-way-to-slipstream-service-pack-3-sp3-into-windows-xp-setup/

Thanks to all for their advice. Also, how do you download the sp3 update withot it automatically installing…HELP.

Simple instructions back up in post #2 (in the link that you didn’t read :bigsmile:)
Also your D/L for SP3 will be in that same link.
Look to the left pane.

Thanks jflan, I did try to download correct place last night but it finally worked this morning
Thanks

One more thing:

Would it not be best to slipstream SP3 into a fresh install of XP SP2 before you install any programs?
moen

[QUOTE=moen;2164103]One more thing:

Would it not be best to slipstream SP3 into a fresh install of XP SP2 before you install any programs?
moen[/QUOTE]
Yes, that’s the idea behind “slipstreaming” if you are starting with a fresh OS install.
You can even insert your required drivers onto your custom slipstream disk.
I suggest that you go back and re-read the nLite tutorial in post #8

If you just want to upgrade an existing XP system to SP3, you download and install like any app.
Be sure to create a backup (OS image) before proceeding.

thanks