Re-Flash the BenQ DW1640 to Philips 1648?

vbimport

Hi all

I am curently using my BenQ DW1640 with the latest firmware version
BSRB Dated 11.June.2006!!..Is this really the very latest one?

I am aware that it is posible to reflash my BenQ DW1640 to a
Philips 1648…But would like to know if it is a better firmware than
the BenQ…

It is true that with the philips firmware the BenQ DW1640 Front Led
always stays OFF and only ligh ON if the drive is burning?

Thanks for the help

Bosco

Hi,

Seems so. Benq Germany hasn’t any newer.

I am aware that it is posible to reflash my BenQ DW1640 to a
Philips 1648…But would like to know if it is a better firmware than
the BenQ…
There is not much difference, but with Philips firmware, you will lose scanning capabilities and also read speed is lower.

It is true that with the philips firmware the BenQ DW1640 Front Led
always stays OFF and only ligh ON if the drive is burning?
My Philips 1660 and my Benq 1650 (both are the same hardware) do the same here. The LED is always on if a disc is inserted. It starts blinking if you are writing to a disc.

I suggest doing some reading in our big Benq Philips section :slight_smile:

Michael

The green LED will be on when reading or writing, only the DW1620 turns red when writing.

Thanks for your fast answers!!

I just would like to have the LED off if a CD is inserted…

BTW, it is true that previous firmware are better that the lastest
BSRB (11.June.2006) ?

Thanks again for help

Hi :slight_smile:
As already stated by mciahel. You’ll lose some of the features you currently have by using Philips f/w. In terms of actual performance/quality of burns there’s little in it. Philips f/w enables SolidBurn by default. Whereas BenQ has it disabled by default.
The only crossflash that might benefit is to BenQ’s 164B. As this f/w is intended for external drives. When used on internal it tweaks drive. So it has UDMA 4 as oppossed to UDMA 2. While this gives a better BurstRate under benchmark tests. There is little gain other than the drive will be less demanding on system resources. Which if your system is stretched may be useful.
The green light. With Philips f/w the light is only visble when drive is active. (Reading/Writing).
With BenQ f/w green light is on when media is inserted but inactive. Green light flickers when busy (Reading/Writing). Green light is off when drive is empty.

Hi :slight_smile:
BSLB & BSMB are the most popular. In truth there is little to no if you use SB & give it time to learn.
Some f/w’s may be better/quicker at this if more suited to your media.