Re-encode a complete DVD

I’m looking for a program which can compress a complete DVD (including menus and extras) by re-encoding it with variable bitrate.
Something like DVD2DVD with Cinema Craft Encoder, but with the ability to re-encode the complete DVD without leaving anything out.
I do not want to use a transcoder like DVD shrink (=bad quality when transcoding large DVD’s).
It doesn’t matter how long it takes to re-encode a complete DVD as long as it does the job.

Does anybody know of such a program?

DVD shrink (=bad quality when transcoding large DVD’s).

that is certainly never been my experience, quite the opposite actually, using deep analysis in versions 3 and 3.1.

there’s no single all-in-one program to reencode a complete dvd with CCE, but this method comes very close, and is very easy to use as long as u don’t have to demux by vobid. this is my method of choice when backing up a full dvd, and takes slightly longer than DVD2DVD since u’re also doing the extras.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
…and is very easy to use as long as u don’t have to demux by vobid.

Keep an eye on SceneAid, this will hopefully get much easier :). He also plans to implement Button Over Video script export, for use with BoV titles!

But anyways this is the method I use (minus the batchcce prog, I like doing my own CCE), and I think its a lot easier than people initially think.

/MLS

i’ve been keeping a very close eye on sceneaid. :slight_smile: any specific reason u don’t use DC4U/batchcce?

I think its a lot easier than people initially think

i definitely agree. once u get everything set up (which doesn’t even take that long), user intervention isn’t even necessary until it’s time to work with scenarist if u have DIF4U start ReAuthorist automatically, and even then the scenarist part is easy. the guide looks complicated, but is actually very easy to follow.

One option would be to decrpyt the DVD with DVD Decrypter. This doesnt change the quality when you use the file method just to decrypt. Then when the DVD files are decrypted, Nero Recode will fit it to disk including all menus and everything. You can delete unneeded languages or subtitles if you want or just leave it all. I find the quality to be good.

Yes the quality on recode is fairly good if your transcoded output has more than 80% of the original. Something below 75% and you Will see bad results.
So it works great on 5-6.5GB backups. Above that go with the big 3 method - Doitfas4u, batchcce, reauthorist (which I am in the process of learning…)
:slight_smile:

Originally posted by kid185
One option would be to decrpyt the DVD with DVD Decrypter. This doesnt change the quality when you use the file method just to decrypt. Then when the DVD files are decrypted, Nero Recode will fit it to disk including all menus and everything. You can delete unneeded languages or subtitles if you want or just leave it all. I find the quality to be good.

the OP said he doesn’t want to use a transcoder, which Recode is. Recode also uses the same transcoding engine as dvdshrink.

Above that go with the big 3 method - Doitfas4u, batchcce, reauthorist (which I am in the process of learning…)

stick with DoCCE4U instead of BatchCCE, as DC4U is much more tightly integrated with the Big 3 method, and BatchCCE doesn’t offer any new functionality.

Thx for your tip but i already started encoding with batchcce :eek:.
It’s my first project with the Big 3! Let’s see the outcome… I will try only with docee4u on my next attempt.
So far I’ve been transcoding. But got poor results on some of my backups so I thought I’d try this technique. A lot slower but I hope it will yield much better results!

np, u should be pleased with the results. in case u didn’t know, u can also use NuMenu4U to reencode the menus to save additional space, as well as use it to do the IfoUpdate step for u (taking out the guesswork as to where u have to move the files, etc).

So far main movie re-encoded with good quality and small size :)Didn’t know about NuMenu feature to do the ifoupdate step! Will browse a little to find out how. The menus were already very small didn’t need to re-encode’em. Thx again for another good tip!

I split the movie across two DVD’s if the compression is anywhere below 85-90%. But I’m picky and notice the difference on my 46" HDTV if it’s any lower then that.

My project acomplished using the Big 3 method! Great results and very good quality on a 7.3GB backup to a 4.37 disc. I think I’ll never transcode again unless I am in a real hurry (yeah transcoding only takes me 30 min including ripping compared to hours… reencoding)
:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by AZImmortal
any specific reason u don’t use DC4U/batchcce?

Its missing a few options I set differently, first it closes all GOPs by default, I don’t. This is only needed for movies with angles. Also it doesn’t use the correct chapter frames, if you compare the frames in the ecl docce produces to ones exported by ifoupdate, you will see they are off. (At least they were when I checked last).

/MLS

Ok bad news… My project burnt great, played great on my pc (and TV set with TVOut option)… but… Then I took it to a standalone LG DVD player… black & white image… the original video is NTSC.
@AZImmortal
Is there a “in between” step using the big 3 where I can convert videos to PAL ?
Probably dumb question but hey I’m a newbie at this!
Thx :slight_smile:

there’s no single all-in-one program to reencode a complete dvd with CCE, but this method comes very close, and is very easy to use as long as u don’t have to demux by vobid. this is my method of choice when backing up a full dvd, and takes slightly longer than DVD2DVD since u’re also doing the extras.

Great link, AZImmortal! :slight_smile:
I’ve used this guide to backup a DVD and the end-result was just what I was looking for.

Thnx! :bow:

np, glad to hear it. :bigsmile: for most ppl, once u go Big 3, u never go back (or at least not without a fight ;)).

Originally posted by ahgc
Ok bad news… My project burnt great, played great on my pc (and TV set with TVOut option)… but… Then I took it to a standalone LG DVD player… black & white image… the original video is NTSC.
@AZImmortal
Is there a “in between” step using the big 3 where I can convert videos to PAL ?
Probably dumb question but hey I’m a newbie at this!
Thx :slight_smile:

there’s no official in-between step, but here’s a guide for converting if u feel u must do so. it might be better just to get a new dvd player that supports NTSC as well.

Hmmmm…to each his or her own…but truth be told DVD shrink does a fabulous job of shrinking down a complete DVD utilizing the deep analysis feature. whats more its free …thats free…no cost. I have taken episodic DVD like the Sopranos and Band of Borthers and used Shrink with deep analysis to squeeze the complete contents of each disc onto one DVD -R and found the results to be …in a word outstanding. Playback through a Panasonic RP-91 to a Hitachi 57 inch HDRPTV is just as stunning as the commercial disc. I have done unscientific one to one comparisons running both the original disc and the highly compressed backups through another Samsung DVD player on another input of my RPTV. No difference …none zero…nada. I looked as hard as I could / used the freeze frame to stop and I see no difference…blind tests done with my wife and friends also yield an inability to tell the difference.

You could also use DVD Rebuilder, take a look at this

wow such a dusty old thread back alive. Chemu is write that dvd rebuilder is better than the othe method posted before, the only problem is that dvd rebuilder doesn’t encode the menus, and there are some minor bugs that need to be fixed