Re-Align CD drive Tray

vbimport

Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

I accidentally knocked the tray of my DVD drive (LiteOn) whilst it was open and now it has problems opening.

When I press the eject button on the drive, I hear a clunck as if the tray is trying to open but the drive tray stays shut. The drive tray will sometimes open if I apply pressure to the front bezel.

The tray closes fine after it has been opened.

I have searched this topic and found a thread that suggests realigning the cd tray mechanism. Post #7 by legoman786.

http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/625929-how-fix-optical-drive-wont-open.html

I tried searching on this forum also but no luck.

Anyway, prior to opening up the drive, I was wondering if anyone had a link or any additional info as to what it is that I need to do.

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers

[QUOTE=risk_reversal;2575073]Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

I accidentally knocked the tray of my DVD drive (LiteOn) whilst it was open and now it has problems opening.

When I press the eject button on the drive, I hear a [I]clunck[/I] as if the tray is trying to open but the drive tray stays shut. The drive tray will sometimes open if I apply pressure to the front bezel.

The tray closes fine after it has been opened.

I have searched this topic and found a thread that suggests [I]realigning the cd tray mechanism[/I]. Post #7 by legoman786.

http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/625929-how-fix-optical-drive-wont-open.html

I tried searching on this forum also but no luck.

Anyway, prior to opening up the drive, I was wondering if anyone had a link or any additional info as to what it is that I need to do.

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the gear and the notches on the bottom of your tray are not misaligned and you will need to know how to push the gear back into the right notched groove area to aligned the drive tray again. What you will have to do is get a older drive you no longer need and compare that gear with the teeth groove and see where they have it set at and try to set your liteon gear with the teeth groove to match and try to see if that will fix the misaligned groove to gear movement. Otherwise if you can’t you might have to just get a new drive as they are not expensive anymore unless your drive is a BD then that might be a expensive purchase again.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2575092]That sounds like the gear and the notches on the bottom of your tray are not misaligned and you will need to know how to push the gear back into the right notched groove area to aligned the drive tray again. What you will have to do is get a older drive you no longer need and compare that gear with the teeth groove and see where they have it set at and try to set your liteon gear with the teeth groove to match and try to see if that will fix the misaligned groove to gear movement. Otherwise if you can’t you might have to just get a new drive as they are not expensive anymore unless your drive is a BD then that might be a expensive purchase again.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for your reply coolcolors. The drive is just a Liteon DVD drive 16p9sv so nothing special but if it is a reasonably easy fix I will give it a try.

Let me ask you a final question please, there is no walkthrough on this process or something like it that you have run across on the net?

Cheers

Not to my knowledge I only found about the drive tray but not anything explaining how to take it apart and realigning the track to gear to return the tray to working order. I would say if the drive isn’t expensive to buy again I would go with that as if you took it to shop it most likely would cost more then just buying a new drive to replace the current drive itself. It’s hard to toss a good working drive but once the track and gear are out of aligned and you can’t get it back to the correct settings it will be hard to get it working correctly.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2575246]Not to my knowledge I only found about the drive tray but not anything explaining how to take it apart and realigning the track to gear to return the tray to working order. I would say if the drive isn’t expensive to buy again I would go with that as if you took it to shop it most likely would cost more then just buying a new drive to replace the current drive itself. It’s hard to toss a good working drive but once the track and gear are out of aligned and you can’t get it back to the correct settings it will be hard to get it working correctly.[/QUOTE]
Cheers coolcolors.

I have purchased another DVD drive and when it arrives I will try to repair the defective one.

I did dismantle an old optical drive that I had and have a look at the track mechanism and it seems it’s a case of trial and error to put the gear and track back in to the correct place. Not hard to do but harder to find the correct place.

Thanks again for your kind help

Cheers

[QUOTE=risk_reversal;2575316]Cheers coolcolors.

I have purchased another DVD drive and when it arrives I will try to repair the defective one.

I did dismantle an old optical drive that I had and have a look at the track mechanism and it seems it’s a case of trial and error to put the gear and track back in to the correct place. Not hard to do but harder to find the correct place.

Thanks again for your kind help

Cheers[/QUOTE]

That is the hard part drive may look the same but how they put it together and how it matches up with another is the part one must make sure the gear and track align correctly so it opens and close correctly.

In two posts in another forum I’ve addressed this issue with Panasonic stand-alone DVD Recorder DVD Drives in 2006-2010 models. Of course these DVD Drives are of proprietary design and unlike the DVD burners for computer use.

[B]Those two posts might give you some ideas. [/B]See this post and the post following it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15745506#post15745506

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2575373]In two posts in another forum I’ve addressed this issue with Panasonic stand-alone DVD Recorder DVD Drives in 2006-2010 models. Of course these DVD Drives are of proprietary design and unlike the DVD burners for computer use.

Those two posts might give you some ideas. See this post and the post following it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15745506#post15745506[/QUOTE]

Sorry to reply back but why must one register to even see the pics? The question was computer drive related but since one must register to even see them makes it hard to even justify telling others to go there.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2575376]Sorry to reply back but why must one register to even see the pics? The question was computer drive related but since one must register to even see them makes it hard to even justify telling others to go there.[/QUOTE]

My post may give you some ideas.

I’ve found computer DVD burners to be less friendly to repair. At around $22 US/CAN, DVD burners are inexpensive to replace.

It takes only a few seconds to register at AVS.

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2575380]
It takes only a few seconds to register at AVS.[/QUOTE]

That might be but to just get help one has to register…that would be a no thank you…for me…if you can’t google to find help for simple fixes that don’t involved registering that already takes to much time in not fixing the problem.