Rdram and p4 chip

Hi all, i read the sticky about amd vs pentium and saw about rdram memory and using it with an intel p4 chip. What version p4 chip, and what would a good motherboard that supports the memory and chip be?
(im trying to decide what new motherboard/pcu combo to get, as u can see from my other post)

What version of the P4 chip? Well I’d get a P4 that can do the 800Mhz FSB speed. Besides that, you might want to buy a P4 with Hyperthreading (can be faster) or even the Extreme Edition (has 2MB of L3 cache… it’s fast, but really expensive).

About the mainboard: Intel stopped producing chipsets for RDRAM memory. If you still want to use that memory, you have to use a chipset from SiS. With the newer Intel chipsets (875 series), you can use dual channel DDR memory and get a very good performance (not as good as RDRAM could get, especially the YellowStone edition, but still very very fast) for a much lower price, and a better (guaranteed) overall stability of your system.

The sticky’s getting old, I’ll have to update it as soon as I get to it…(try to do that this weekend, already made a start).

so basically if i was trying to save money but still go fast, you would suggest a p4 with the new 875 chipset motherboard and dual channel ddr memory? What kind of fsb could i get doing that? and is that a OCable board?

Originally posted by lves2raft
so basically if i was trying to save money but still go fast, you would suggest a p4 with the new 875 chipset motherboard and dual channel ddr memory? What kind of fsb could i get doing that? and is that a OCable board?

The last P4 Intel chipset that supported RDram was the 850i.

The To best boards are the

Abit IC7, IC7-G, IC7-MAX3,

Asus P4C800 Deluxe, P4C800-E Deluxe

all depending an how much you want to spend and what feature you want.

The memory I would recommend is the Mushkin PC3500 CL2 - Black Hi Perf Level II

IF you can find A 2.4C with M0 stepping would be you best bet.

IF you can find A 2.4C with M0 stepping would be you best bet.

what is a 2.4c with mo stepping?

Originally posted by lves2raft
what is a 2.4c with mo stepping?

2.4C = 2.4Ghz with an effective FSB of 800Mhz

M0 goes to which version of the 2.4C CPU

is the memory you recomended rdram or high speed ddr? how much total would i end up spending around for

option 1: intel motherboard with 875 chipset with high speed DDR (2x512) like dee-ehn suggested, and a 2.4 pentium or higher.

option 2: pentium 4 chip with 800mhz fsb, SiS motherboard supporting rdram (2x512)

If you want stabilitly don’t use a SIS chipset

If you can’t find an M0 2.4C I would go with a 2.6C since it is actually cheaper then the 2.4C. The reason for this is that Intel has temporarily stopped the Production of the 2.4. Remember C= 800FSB