Razorback servers seized

It appears that one of the largest eDonkey2000 communities is no more. Often occupied by over 1 million eDoney2000 users spread over several servers, Razorback is often regarded as the very lifeblood of this network. This morning, users of this server network found their community offline.

At this time, details are extremely scarce. However it is being reported the Federal Belgian Police have raided and seized Razorback’s servers. In addition, it is suspected the administrator of Razorback is currently in custody.

Razorback was an eDonkey2000 indexing server - very different in nature from an indexing site such as ShareReactor. Unlike indexing sites, Razorback’s index was only available through an eDonkey2000 client such as eMule. While it does not host any actual files or multimedia material, it does index the location of such files on the eDonkey2000 network. The legality of such indexing remains questionable, however this has not deterred copyright enforcement actions.

Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1102

There is nothing said about logs that have been taken by the autorities. If that is true then that’s the silver lining with this horrible cloud…

This is just plain silly. Razorback wasn’t a indexing site, it was a ed2k sever and that was it. Any edonkey or emule client could connect to it whenever they pleased, which means for legitimate and illegitimate purposes.

tas correct, but if you read the original post you will see that it is not called an indexing site but an indexing server which it is as the ed2k servers index the content of the clients connected to it. Lv did make the distinction.

Lv your report is incorrect in some of its’ details. eDonkey2000 is a commercial client made be metamachines, eMule is a client that connects to the network and has nothing to do with eD2000. That is why there is not 1million eDonkey2000 users.

The network retained the name ed2k out of respect for the work mm put into setting it up and the protocols used, but they abandoned it in favour of overnet, which failed to do what they hoped. During that time another person stepped upto maintain the server software and a group of programmers designed a new programme to work with the network. This is why eMule updates regularly not only to fix bugs but retain compatability with the server software which is updated quite frequently.

At this point I am more concerned about what is going to happen to lugdum, the owner of RB and the one who took over the management of the server software. Without his work the network would not have grown to the level it is.

I can see this failing as he has no control over the content, similar to the eMule programmers.

I’ve never used edonkey or emule. However…

“Questionable” legality shouldn’t be enough for interventions of this sort. Raids should only happen when there is certain information on the illegality of the operation.
Holding information on where to find files has not, to date, been classified illegal.
Unless this Razorback seizing becomes a landmark by having the consequence of such an activity being actually declared illegal, I think the server should return to full operation before long.
Let’s just hope a trial doesn’t ensue; those can go on for years.

The rb servers were classed as he best, though on ed2k servers don’t realy matter, therefore I think this is a two pronged thing. A test to see if they can do exactly as you say falling get the servers themselves declared illegal, though as with indexing site it wouild just mean moving them to countries where such laws don’t apply, and scaring people away from p-2-p. I wonder when they will earn that while people feel ripped off they won’t comply with the industries wishes.

If I do a google search for a serial number (or a no-cd crack) for a game, I can get pointed to a website that provides me with that information. Does this mean the authorities can go raid google?

Google has a great deal of money and political and social clout. Razorback does not.

Actually the Courts pretty much everywhere have decided that if your business consists of facilitating software/music/video piracy by providing such information, it is illegal. A recent example downunder was the Kazaa case.

In the case of this and other similar sites, the business generates its income through advertising revenue based largely on the number of visitors/referrals from users visiting primarily for the purpose of obtaining information on where to obtain illegal downloads.

The distinction between such sites and Google is that whilst Google may be used for illegal purposes that is not its primary purpose. However, in the case of Razorback, whilst it may be used for legal purposes, the predominant usage is illegal.

Oh well, it’s good while it lasted. Right now most of the users switched to other servers anyways.

Have to wait and see if they will go or try and go that far! But they can force Google to install filters in there search engine to filter out some types of key words so when you do a search for those words a blank page will come up.

Incorrect that’s why the RB issue will be a test here in Europe as it will also affect eMule itself. Both of them are tools which are technically legal, what the user chooses to do my not be and the user is liabel. The servers index items that are found by a user who searches for them, both legal and illegal activities can take place. Much like google.

I have found currently in England and Wales downloading is technically legal uploading is not, and as most of he networks used for downloading insist on uploading that is where people get caught, which is why youhear of people getting sued for sharing files.

Was Kazaa ever used for legal distribution? Both ed2k and torrent networks are as they are used by a number of free open source projects to share the compiled software and/or the source code.

Yes it was. Theoretically, at least, a substantial component of Kazaa’s business was legal.

It’s problem in the court case that it lost was that it made no effort to restrict its usage to legal purposes and it could not demonstrate that the predominant usage was legal since, as is the case with practically all such programs/businesses/sites, it wasn’t and isn’t.

Both of them are tools which are technically legal, what the user chooses to do my not be and the user is liabel.

That is, more or less, exactly the argument used by Kazaa’s owners (Sharman Networks) in the Kazaa case and you already know that they lost.

For practical purposes, you can forget about the technical legal arguments and niceties. The fact is that, contrary to popular belief in some quarters, judges are not stupid and any time a judge forms the view that the predominant purpose of a business is to facilitate software/music/movie piracy the relevant business is going to lose (irrespective of any pretty legal argument to the effect that its operation can, and indeed sometimes is, used for legal purposes).

philamber,

I am no lawyer but I thought what really hurt Kaza with the US Supreme Court was the fact they actually used the illegal activity side of there business to promote and market the service?

Diggler that’s what I thought as did napster. eMule states quite clearly that it should be used for legal activities on its’ home site and if the user chooses to use it for illegal activites that it is the user who is liabel. They even go so far to have a “ocontent” page for legal downloads. Wasn’t there also a paid for version of kazaa?

EU laws differs from US in many ways, so US decisions will not affect how a court in the EU behaves. As both eMule dev team and the ones responsible for the server software (the RB team) as in EU countries we have to wait for the outcome of a case if there is one. Also the EU high courts were all major appeals end up has been known to protect the individual against goverment and business as they have no fear of them.

That is why I said it was a test case.

The Portuguese servers closed, too :a .

The F*** of RIAA are striking hard! Maybe we should call Osama Bin L., and target the real criminals here :bigsmile:

If P2P finish, i will closed internet at my home, and use internet at work, to e-mail, news…and nothing else! :Z

I wish all Hac*** of to world, could make a super strike over those F**** of RIAA :clap:

Oh well, life goes on, and something new will appear…

Mordorr

p-2-p is never finished. All that happens is if one network gets hit too hard and too often the people migrate to another.

The server is unimportant as it has no control over speed and eventual sources only indexes files and gives initial sources. Therefore connect to another server.

Hacker. Hacker hacker hacker. Fuck fuck.

It’s not like people are going to shoot you for saying those words, you know.

Anyway: don’t sweat it. As noted, one server goes down and more go up.
The Razorback shutdown was just what Kademlia needed to gain in strength, or at least so they tell me (not a big fan of emule).

KAD is still classed as being in beta testing by the eMule team, apparently.

As to shooting hacker, no, f-word yes, as it is against the rules. We do have minors here after all.

There’s a lot of stuff that’s classed as beta but works perfectly…
I use RevConnect, which supports Kad. Up until a few months ago the vast majority of down/uploads happened inbetween hubs, but lately much more activity comes from Kad.

As to shooting hacker, no, f-word yes, as it is against the rules. We do have minors here after all.

When was the last time you’ve been around a group of minors?

I’ll not say it again, because if those are the rules of the board you gotta follow them.
But I’ve always found the rules in question to be superfluous. Why can one say “f-word”, or “f**k” but not the word itself? It’s not like any minor can’t decipher that and understand what’s hidden behind the asterisks. And once they do, does it really matter if the word is written in its full form or not?
Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand people who swear ten times inside every sentence, but the occasional f-word never hurt anybody.