Rate the 2nd grade media

Ok, most of us agree that the 1st grade media is TY, MCC, MXL and then Sony.
When looking for a cheap disc for handing out to family/friends and promotional discs what brands do people look for?
I come up with Prodisc, LG, Gigastorage, Ritek, Infodisc and Daxon.
What would others put forward?

Cheaper quality CMC (Imation for example), Infomedia.

See www.nomorecoasters.com

Wanted to let you know that this happens quite often when trying to load the page…:

Firefox gives me this for no more coasters.

Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at www.digitalfaq.com.

*   Check the address for typing errors such as
      ww.example.com instead of
      www.example.com

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
      connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
      that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Also I think making such list is inpossible knowing the fact that compannies and brands use quite some different grades for some places which leads to different results.

p.s. How can TY have a top position ??

The implicit statement is easy to get… :bigsmile: LOL Funny, Lordsmurf just input some skeptical comments about TY in another thread…http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=136754&page=3
Synchronicity… prepare yourselves for the witch hunt! :wink:

Well on this board, as you know it, most regular users swear by lowest PIE/PIF numbers (I don’t really), and even lowest error COUNTS (I definitly don’t), so TYG02 and YudenT02 gave TY the first place. Maybe things will change with their 16X discs… as MCC004 seems to easily beat the 16X Taiyos (PIE/PIF-wise). But it’s very hard on this board to get people forgetting the “lowest PIE/PIF” dogma for a couple of seconds and consider other aspects.

Another probable reason is that for our american friends, who are the vast majority on this board, TY are cheaper than MCC Verbs. Here in Europe we have it the other way round. As someone stated some time ago (I think it was Kenshin), if other MIJ discs (like MXL) could be found at a similar price as TY, maybe things would be different.

Another reason? This forum started with CDRs, and it’s very hard not to give the first place to TY discs for CDRs (yeah, the Maxell were great, but who can find genuine Maxell CDRs nowadays? They seem to have disappeared!). One thing leads to another…

Also the recent variability of MCC 8X discs didn’t help. Many bad stories with the MBI-made 8X -R MCC Verbatims, for example (I had issues with these too). Personally that’s what I like best with TY: very little variation. Most of the discs in my collection are MCC, though. I trust them more than TY for long-term backups and video. Still I use lots of TYG02 fo general purposes and mid-term backups.

Personally I think that TDK and RICOH MIDs could be just as interesting as TY and MCC, but it’s slightly more difficult to pinpoint good sources for these.:frowning: - once again too much variation. :a

My thoughts of the day :bigsmile: - bring on the detractors :stuck_out_tongue:

Another probable reason is that for our american friends, who are the vast majority on this board, TY are cheaper than MCC Verbs. Here in Europe we have it the other way round. As someone stated some time ago (I think it was Kenshin), if other MIJ discs (like MXL) could be found at a similar price as TY, maybe things would be different.

I don’t care were it’s made I’ve used disc’s made in Netherlands,France, Luxembourg, Germanny,Singapore,Taiwan,Austria which could match with TY’s media or outperfom it.

Also normal MAxell can be quite bad bonded. The strange thing is that maxells profesional line and the disc’s they make for there premium oem’s doe not have these problems.

digitalFAQ.com / nomorecoasters.com probably just had an outage overnight, the server hardware is scheduled for an upgrade. That might have been it. The site is online right this minute.

I also pretty much agree with everything francksoy just said. Well put.

re: nomorecoasters.com, has this list been updated recently? The reason I ask is that I can’t understand why Princo is in the 3rd class? CMC and Gigastorage are better discs than Princo.

Yeah, they’re far worse than TY for bonding actually. These discs are good but very fragile, very careful handling is required. :rolleyes:

Because like with all these type of lists it is very questionable because of a lot of reasons.
Personally I would rate CMC much higher.(The A-grade stuff that is !).
If people would make a list based on the testresults of all european magazines done with so called profesional equipement I think you get a different picture. Same counts if you take all the testresults of cdfreaks board and combine them to a list.

Same here. It’s been some time now that CMC stuff sold under “real” brand names is very good stuff.

The problem with CMC is compatibility, for example before the release of the 110 Pioneer drives supported CMC very poorly. On the other hand, Nec drives burned (and still do) these discs with very good results.

As much as I hate to say it CMC gets my vote for the second tier. Ritek, Princo, Gigastorage, ect. are all far worse than it. If I was looking for slightly cheaper media to burn for other people, I would go with these.

:bigsmile: LOL Yeah I can relate to this, the first time I wrote something nice about CMC my fingers were all shaky… :bigsmile:

Uh no. For us americans, MCC disks are often cheaper than TY’s. ALmost every week, we can get Verbatims for 15$ for 50 pack. With Fuji’s no longer using TY for their disks, our ONLY source of branded TY are Sony MIJ +R’s. And those HARDLY go on sale. Without sale they are $40 for pack of 50. RIma.com has TY -R for $33 and +R for $40 for 100.

As you can see, MCC is much easier to get and are often on sale at cheaper prices than TY.

And yes, my TY discs scan MUCH better than MCC. I have burned literally 500 plus TY discs and have had ZERO coasters while i have had some coasters with MCC. Longevity, well…after 1.5 years, still both MCC and TY scan very good and are still readable.

The reason CMC still fails to make higher grades is because of how widely it varies, regardless of brand or burner. There are certain burners with certain firmware that burn certain codes of CMC, but that’s an awful lot of required factors. And often even meeting all those criteria results in coasters.

There are still large amounts of people that experience bad CMC, and it is not an issue of the user being at fault, nor the drive/firmware.

If you have a decent/good CMC experience, consider yourself part of a lucky minority. Even Princo and fake media has loyal buyers that garner okay results. Eventually, even they come across bad ones.

Spend 2 1/2 years collecting different disks then start scanning and generalizations
go out the window. Looking for old TY mid burns!

Actually the -Rs from rima have dropped to $32 per 100 + shipping, so the price gap has narrowed a bit for them at least. Also, if you don’t mind the value line TY and potentially getting 4x media, you can get them for just a hair cheaper than MCC Verbatim sales. $27.90 shipped per 100 discs after entering in the following coupon code: CS10 at www.shop4tech.com.

I would say MCCs are generally cheaper to buy in the US. Literally every single week I see some insane sale on either Verbatim bulk spools (inkjet printable media) or Data Life or Data Life Plus sales in the < $35/100 category. That’s not even counting local sales at retail stores which are plentiful and common. I buy both Verbatims and TY but I give a slight edge to TYs in the 8x category. The single spool of 16x -R from TY disappointed me on my now aging 3500A, I’m waiting to try TY +R 16x media. The MCC 16X +R that I tried was better than the TY 16X -R but still behind both brands’ 8x media (on a 3500A.)

The interesting bit was the 2nd grade media:
RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh (Taiwan) = (+R)(+RW)
PRODISC = Prodisc Media (Taiwan) = (-R)(+R)
RITEK = Ritek (Taiwan) = (+R)(-R)(-RW)(+RW)
FUJIFILM = Fuji = (-R)(+R)
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (-R)
INFODISC = Infodisc Media = (+RW)

Ricoh isn’t commonly available in the US, and Fujifilm stuff is retail only (I’d rather buy retail Verbatim so this doesnt interest me) but the Optodisc and Ritek stuff is interesting, because I’ve stopped buying both these brands because of such poor results on their 8x media (tried several spools of + and - for both ritek and opto with very inconsistent results.)
Are the 16x Opto and Ritek discs really worth trying again?

Hmm then why does Ritek have a second place.
1 -> See how manny reports about bad G05 are on the boards. (Yeah I know it states burns with …% results. And that G05 initially burns correct. But to call something no more coasters and completely ignore long time behaviour is a joke. (I’m not saying that you should incoperate any advanced aging data you can get.) but a large ammount of real life reports over longtime can not be ignored !!
2 -> See how compatible the 16x DVD-R is. (CMC is compatible compared to this !)
And with the current drive the compatability issue is not that bad.
3 -> Also CMC is the only manufacuter which is able to give E-net something inlines of consistant media (yes the codes very but the quality is ok.) (Sold as datawrite titanium !)

Also the list contains some weird contradictions.
1 - First say princo fake tdk is third class and next say below all fake media is fourth class. Ehh.
2- PIODATA, PIO = LeadData/ Ritek (Taiwan) = (-R))(+R) as 4th grade while Leaddata and Ritek did get a third and a second rating themselves. Yep it might be that this one is based on grading but it’s unclear to the public.
3-PIODATA,PIO again I thought you were listing codes and then the brands/manufacturer but why is this specific one then mentioned ??
I’ve never seen Piodata,Pio as a MID code.

Also to Frankysoy. My Pioneer 106D burns CMC A-grade media (1x/2.4x and 4x )quite good. However the B-grade stuff is crap but what do you expect ??
So the 110 is not the first pioneer burner that works good with them ;-).

There are still large amounts of people that experience bad CMC, and it is not an issue of the user being at fault, nor the drive/firmware.

If you have a decent/good CMC experience, consider yourself part of a lucky minority. Even Princo and fake media has loyal buyers that garner okay results. Eventually, even they come across bad ones.

So I can conclude that most european test were luck. That all thegood reports at websites are lucky folks. That are a awfull lucky folks these days more as people who have problems with RitekG05. Hmm interesting.
Also if CMC was that bad then why is all there media approved by quite some manufacturers ??