Rate My Soon to be Computer: Custom!

Processor: Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor - Retail

MotherBoard: ABIT AW8D Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Memory: Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

DVD Burner: NEC Silver 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner - OEM (This or A Lite-On DVD Burner?)

Video Card: PNY VCG7600GXPB Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

CASE:ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA9NW-AL/500 Black/Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail

Good for Under $1,000?

I need help on picking my DVD Burner though…What would you recommend. I want it to be Dual-Layered and I might want Lite-Scribe if you think it is worth it?

Opinions welcome :bow: :bow:

What will be your primary use besides DVD burning is it gaming?

I don’t know much about Intel CPU’s but with the AMD price drops you might want to
consider AMD. Very possible you will get better bang for your buck.

Could you list the prices your paying for your components?

Lite-scribe looks sweet although i’ve actually never used it so I can’t give you proper advice on that.

~ Lacuna :love:

Light scribes are a flook I think. Plus they are a RAM hog too. If you want to print on the CD’s / DVD’s get an epson printer and get one to do CD / DVD’s.

My opinion on a DVD burner is Lite-on or benQ.

The 805 processors are clockable to 3.93 + from what Ive heard.

I have a BenQ 1655 and I don’t think I will ever use Lightscribe after I got my Epson dvd/cd printer.

I would go for the BenQ 1650, but if you are a Lite-on fan get the 165P6S, great drive and super support on this forum.

Mmm, me likes Abit mobos :iagree:

As for the ODD…I too would look at a Litey or a BenQ…or even an LG, but they don’t offer scanning :sad:

The deal I am getting on that processor is phenomenal though…getting it for $104 dollars and I hear it overclocks to over 3.5 and someone got it up to 4.0

But which AMD is better for under $200?

So I think I might go for a BenQ and get the Epson Printer if it isn’t THAT expensive. Also I am getting a 19’’ LCD NEC Monitor…it’s so purrrtyy

I have the same case (my build in Dec. 04)…came with 3 front panel colors (6 panels), looks better all black, IMO. Great case, runs very cool, lottsa room. Only downside was the psu…failed at about 4-5 months. Newegg was great…couldn’t replace outright but gave me a deal on a 520w aspire. Maybe just a fluke. I’ve heard aspire psu’s aren’t the best…but not bad either.

You’ll need a rock-solid PSU if you plan on OC’ing that amount - it will literally eat power! (the Seasonic S12 600W is the best of the moment)

^^Yeah…I had a different Power Supply in Mind. I Will keep it for now and order a new one later. The Epson printer is $120. I don’t know if I want to spend that much. Maybe I will just get the Lite-Scribe. Not that I even need it really, but I would like it. Is the Lite-On w/ LiteScribe comparable to a BenQ DVD Burner?

A) In no way Am I going to attempt to overclock by that much, I just know that the speed is very underclocked for the motherboard.

I have both the Liteon SHM-165H6S and the Benq LS DW1655…and to be honest, I’ve never used the LS function…lol. Both were wicked good deals and free shipping as well.

Like many cdf members, I prefer the benq for burning, but the litey holds it own. On the other hand, the litey will read darn near anything!

edit: If I could only keep one…it’d be the benq

It’s decided. I’m ordering a BenQ w/ Lite-Scribe Technology for $36. I like the deal :slight_smile:

you can’t go wrong with a $36 dvd burner (I assume you got the 1655?)

just my $.02 regarding lightscribe: it’s nothing special. i bought my 1655 because it was a good deal. lightscribe didn’t play into my decision at all. I purchased some LS discs just to play with it…it’s alright at first, but it loses it’s novelty after like 2 burns. the discs are too expensive compared to the weekly sailes on quality single layer media, and the time it takes to burn a LS label is’n’t really worth it. (about 45 minutes using the ELCU)

i wrote a quick little tutorial that I posted on CDF if you’re interested on how to get started with LS burning. you can check it out here: LightScribe

At least you tried it…I have 2 of the beasts and haven’t used LS yet…probably never will, based on your comments…lol.

Like you, couldn’t pass up the deals… :wink:

i honestly think that once labelflash catches on and once decent manufacturers start making labelflash media (right now it’s only ritek that makes them), labelflash with blow lightscribe out of the water. from the samples I’ve seen, LF is quicker, clearer, and all around better than LS.

i think purchasing a disc printer like the epson R series models is the BEST way to go though if you want professional looking labels on your discs. Both LF (blue) and LS (Bronzeish) limit you in terms of color. Printable discs with a disc printer are the clearest, quickest, and best looking way to label a disc.

all of that being said, I still stick with using a sharpie :slight_smile:

all of this is not to discourage the original poster of course! the BenQ 1655 is a great drive regardless of whether you use lightscribe or not!

WOW…you have to buy Litescribe disks? I didn’t even know that. I probably won’t use it anyway either LOL…Looks like I will just save up for the Epson

Yeah the LS media is expensive right now. Printed looks better I think.

Hi :slight_smile:
I see that you haven’t tried the Extended Label Contrast Utility. Not only does this put the quality at least on a par with LF. Plus the latest LS DVD’s have an improved coating, this reduces time taken for the writing of a label. Even more is cost & availability. Again currently LS is a winner here too. So to summarise time taken virtually identical, image quality is difficult to ascertian due to the colour difference (different images suit one & not the other & vice versa). So equal here too. That just leaves availability & variety of media along with cost. LS on it’s own here. That said I don’t believe either will succeed long term.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum OneStepAhead. :clap:
A good system there. Apart from ODD(BenQ or Lite-On) & graphics card(ATI) as in your first post.