ratDVD: Whatever Happened To It..?!

Does anyone remember ratDVD, it was supposed to be the “next big thing”, but it seems to have fizzled into nothingness…?!

Yes I remember it, but you are right about it being abandoned now.

H264’s compression ability and quality make ratDVD unnecessary. And H265/HEVC will be another step forward in that arena. H265 may give us 50% better compression than H264 at the same levels of subjective picture quality.

It was useful, for a while anyway.

I did a search on Google, turns out the web site for the software is still active, but I have no idea where the site is being hosted and the domain will expire at the end of June.

Well, I may have found the hosting company, it’s called Canadian Web Hosting, since both name servers for the domain point there, I believe that this has to be the hosting provider.

I used rat successfully. Worked good. This was years ago and nobody was maintaining it. I thought it was abandoned. :slight_smile:
ps still have the programme.

[QUOTE=malmal;2686932]I thought it was abandoned. :)[/QUOTE]

It has been abandoned, the last version was 0.78.1444 which was released on Tuesday, Decemeber 6, 2005.

But as I said before, the web site is still up & running:

http://www.ratdvd.ca/index.php

I checked and I have the latest.
Also found “RATattackSetup_v0.02.exe” whatever it was for.
ps http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/dvd_tools/ratattack.cfm
:bigsmile:

This software is no longer developed, has no support, and the last version was released way back in 2005, so basically it’s been dead and gone for a long time now.

It uses its own custom format which no other software supports and from what I understand it’s not compatible with either Windows Vista or Windows 7.

IMO non-standard proprietary formats are nearly always a bad idea in the long run as you’ll inevitably have difficulties if you want to change formats later.

So whilst it’s possible to use it, it’s very definitely not recommended.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yes I remember those issues were brought up on cdfreaks many years ago.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2687010]This software is no longer developed, has no support, and the last version was released way back in 2005, so basically it’s been dead and gone for a long time now.[/QUOTE]

See post #6 of this thread, because you posted exactly what I said!

[QUOTE=mlauzon;2687049]See post #6 of this thread, because you posted exactly what I said![/QUOTE]

I elaborated on what you had said but it’s the comments I’d added that are more significant.

Regardless though, if it produced standard video then there wouldn’t be a problem but converting video to a dead end proprietary format is not a sensible way to go.

[B]Wombler[/B]