Random Write for DVD+RW?

vbimport

I’ve seen many websites suggesting that Random Write is supported by the DVD+RW format, and (as we know) also by the DVD-RAM format.

Which drives and drivers support Random Write for DVD+RW so I can format them and use them as a DVD-RAM replacement? And has this actually ever been really used or is it only a capability left unused?

Zone bit recording? HD-DVD-RW?

If I’m not wrong, random writing is not related to the media or to the drive, but to the software. Packet writing softwares like InCD allow to do this on RW media.

Sorry if I’m wrong :flower:

“Random write” on +RW?

Yes, the DVD-RAM-like thing.

Hi kg_evilboy,

+RW doesn’t require any special drivers as long as your drive supports it.
Quote from Andy Polyakov author of growisofs …
"DVD+RW (but not DVD+R nor any DVD-dash) is a true random write access media…"
See Polyakov’s website http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

After formatting, DVD+RW is written using a type of packet mode.
It’s not the same as random write (packet) for CD-RW or DVD-RAM.
And DVD-RAM has more defect management elements. Thus it’s more reliable than +RW. But in my opinion +RW is a reasonable (and cheaper) substitute for -RAM depending on your needs.

DVD+RW disk can be formatted with the Universal Data Format (UDF) file system where its full random write capabilities are used. Videos use a hybrid UDF system so if you want to backup a DVD movie with Shrink or Decryptor, use +RW.

I use +RW to backup my videos. Works great. But if you’re a business backing up critical customer data then -RAM would be a much better choice.

BillM

“And DVD-RAM has more defect management elements. Thus it’s more reliable than +RW. But in my opinion +RW is a reasonable (and cheaper) substitute for -RAM depending on your needs.”

And DVD+MRW (Mt. Rainier) is even closer to DVD-RAM. You still have to use the crappy packet writing software though with +MRW. I’ve used +MRW for backups and wonder if it’s “good enough” for that chore in most cases.

DVD-RAM Benefits: Much more reliable media, hardware write verification, better defect mgmt (better than +MRW?), no software needed for FAT32 on WinXP. Those are the biggies.

The software required for UDF 1.5 DVD-RAM is not packet writing software per se, is it?

Tony

Does this work with DVD+RW only or DVD+R as well?

Iam not sure what u mean by random write? Is it like booktyping? And what the hell is Lunix?

Would make no sense with +R because +R is WORM and not rewriteable media.

The DVD+RW maybe supports random writing, at least simulated.
DVD plus allows exact sector location due to 817.4 kHz wobble frequency instead of 140.6 kHz.
DVD+RW also allows accessing every sector without being written yet. (no more 05/21/00 LOGICAL BLOCK ADDRESS OUT OF RANGE I hate this error).

The product specification pages of LG (HL-DT-ST) mention full random write for DVD+RW, DVD-RAM and BD-RE, and restricted random/sequential/incremental writing for DVD-RW.