Random ripping errors -- what could be the cause?

hello everyone,

here’s my problem. my cd player has been giving me some headahces lately. whenever i rip tracks, there are random errors in the tracks such as a noise or static in the middle of a track. what is even more strange is that the errors aren’t at the same point and in the same tracks. i’ve been having this problem for the last month --ever since my computer re-created all the system files. i notice that my cd player is having problems reading data/audio cds. i hear it speed up a bit, stop, pause for 4-5 seconds are restart.

it is getting annoying as i can’t just rip tracks from a cd. i have to listen to each track to find if there are any errors. as you can guess, it’s a pain in the neck and time consuming.

i guess my question is – is my cd player on its last leg and that is what is causing the problem? or is it because my computer re-created all the original system files? also, the program i use influences the amount of errors. musicmatch gives more errors than nero, which gives more errors than EAC.

help…please help.

bruno

:confused:

First of all, try to rip the cd with low speed, I know it will cost you some extra time but if it works you don’t have to listen to every track. Second, use Eac if that is causing the fewest errors.

How old is your drive, that could be a problem (also if the lens is dirty) but use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and that should work other than that go buy a cheap new drive

You haven’t mentioned which mode you are ripping. The best bet is to use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and make sure you rip in secure mode. These options can be set in EAC->Drive Options. You may need to test your drive for these capabilites.

hmm… i sometimes get some timing errors with EAC, and if rip the tracks again they are fine.

also would it be better if rip all the wavs first then start encoding? i generally do it together in a queue… just wondering about this.

hmm… i sometimes get some timing errors with EAC, and if rip the tracks again they are fine.

These could be because of dust/some impurity present on the CD.

also would it be better if rip all the wavs first then start encoding? i generally do it together in a queue… just wondering about this.

Well whether you wish to rip to WAVs first and then encode or do on-the-fly enbcoding, there’s usually no effect as far as quality is concerned. But if you wish to lets say encode in more than one format (I do it very often), then its a better idea to rip to WAVs first and then encode in whatever format you want using a front-end (See my signature for NABE).