Ram

Hi, I have 2- 1GB of ram and I want to buy 2-512 both are g.skill but the timings are different .My 2-1gb are 2.5 3 3 6 and the 512 I want to buy are 2.5 4 4 8 would that be ok and would I have to stay with the same brand, mother board is asus A8N-E, thanks.

by “2-1gb” you mean 2 sticks of 1gb or two sticks of 512? , it can work however you cant have your old & new ram to run with diffrent timings (timings is a thing that applies globally to all ram sticks and cannot be set seperatly) and the new ram could be unstable when running at 2-3-3-6 , youll have to set the timings to 2.5-4-4-8 then it will work fine, some motherboards will automatically set the timings by the stick with the highest ones (of course now that it will be running at higher timings it will be slightly slower but you probably wont notice) , i’d go for a ram that have same timings as the current

It also depends on your system and motherboard. Many newer systems are much more allergic to mixed modules than older systems were. The symptoms of such allergies to mixed memory include more frequent and more numerous program crashes, memory dumps and system lock-ups (stability issues) and a refusal to even POST.

trying to find g.skill ,I have 2-1gig sticks of g.skill running at 2.5 3 3 6 cant find 2-512 sticks g.skill running at that .

is this what you are looking for?

no heat spreaders, but I don’t think you really need them for those timings, also since this is a 939 rig it might revert to ddr333 with 4 sticks, theres nothing you can really do about it though, sometimes going to 2t will make it go back to ddr400, but other times it won’t…just a limitation of the IMC

Thanks for the info but I have one more question , What would be better 3-1gig sticks or 2-1gig sticks and 2-512 sticks all running in dual channel.

the 4 stick config is probably the safer bet because most 939 mobos won’t post with 3 sticks

I run 2x 1GB and 2x 512MB sticks of 800MHz DDR2

Generally you need to get matched sets, it may be possible to force your mobo to use the lower memory timings and this should let you use your 2x1 and 2x512 without problems BUT I would probably not trust the auto detect to notice you have 2 different ram timed moduals.

All 4 of my sticks have the same timings, the 1GB moduals are just double sided versions of the 512 ones with identical chips on them, basically I was lucky.

Thanks for the info.

with 939 and am2 its more down to the revision of cpu u got as to weather the memory controller can handle it on the cpu cos as u all know the mem controllers on the cpu not the motherboards like intels :slight_smile: ive run mixed sticks with diff timings loads of times most ram will clock the timings etc to looser timings of youre other ram

This is not always the case. In some lines (such as the Corsair XMS 3200C2 line), the 512MB modules and the 1GB modules use completely different IC chips, with the ICs in the 1GB modules being twice as dense as those in the 512MB modules (in this case, both the 512MB modules and the 1GB modules are double-sided).