Ram

I have an old computer, running on 160mbs of ram and a 6gb harddrive, that has been updated from 98. As i dont have enough money to just buy a new computer, id like to just speed up the pc a bit, and possibly later install a bigger hd.

Just a small question about ram to start with. Is all ram the same size, or does it come in different sizes (apart from laptops) also, are there a different amount of pins on different mainboards? And lastly, will the processer be able to handle the new ram? (256 mb)

System specs

[ul]
[li]CPU Type Intel Celeron-A, 300 MHz (4.5 x 67)
[/li][li]Motherboard Name Intel Maui MU440EX v3 (1 ISA, 2 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
[/li][li]Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440EX
[/li][li]System Memory 160 MB (SDRAM)
[/li][li]BIOS Type Phoenix (07/21/98)
[/li][/ul]

thanks for any help

haveacigar

Crucial.com will give you the correct type RAM based on your motherboard. You’ll probably find it to be pretty expensive.

cheers… at the moment the computer is running as fast as a tortice with broken legs… it seems that the board can only handle 256mb of ram… which may not be worth it.

Aha, so that’s why you needed Everest…:slight_smile:

If you want to keep your Celly, 256 MB is better than a kick in the teeth…

it is, but £40 for an upgrade of 100mb of ram isnt really worth it, probably better just using the computer for internet and pictures. It takes about 15-20 mins to load the computer. Will be formatting the disk to stop all the crappy adware that has been embeded on the system :a

A new hard drive will probably give you the most bang for your buck in terms of boosting speed. I’d stay with Win98 too, XP is just too bloated for this old system.

you could use it as a firewall for your home network (if you have 1 that is). here’s the link

This is not the hardware’s fault, even high speed, modern computers will take so much time to load the computer with so much bloated stuff installed…

You don’t have to stay with Windows 98. If you want power, you go Windows 2000, if you need speed, you go Windows NT 4.

Agree with kg_evilboy. :iagree:
Back up the data you wanna keep, reformat and install a fresh copy of Windoze 98 (or Win2k if you have one).
160MB of memo will be more then enough for browsing the net, Word tasks and even for a home network server.
The best upgrade you can do is to buy a bigger HDD, but that’s another story.

BTW, I’ve an old PII-266 home network box that’s even able to burn at 8x with my DVDRW’s… :bigsmile: