RAM wanted!

I offered to upgrade a computer…it’s slow as i’ve ever seen so i need to get a RAM upgrade on it. Right now it has 256, i want at least 512 and preferably a gig…it’s a 333 Mhz Dell. I haven’t had much luck finding ram for this particular desktop…i think i might just tell them to buy a new computer…but i really do want to open it up and get it going faster :cool:

If anyone finds this particular piece of hardware or has a spare sitting around…please tell me I’ll pay some sum of money for it :slight_smile:

PC-2700 and PC-3200 is very expensive. Oh wait, your computer is not even using DDR1 ram, it uses PC100 and PC133 if I am not wrong. Good luck on finding those. May be stationary stores like Staples, Office Depot, and Office Max. Computer stores prolly dont even stock those anymore. And your only chance is try to look for old donated computer and remove ram from there

That’s kinda what i figured…some random computer store had one but he said it was used and didn’t really elaborate on the condition of it. I’m not willing to pay $130 bucks on a questionable ram. The computer is really, really old, so i’ll tell them to buy a new one…(maybe they’ll give it to me and let me play with it :p) And also i think it would be too much hastle to look for a more satisfactory ram than what they have inside a old donated computer…but thanks for the tip, i may look into it…

Hi,

these older mainboards will only support up to 512 MB if at all. Also, older Intel chipsets require some kind of special organization of the memory chips, so it is really hard to get RAM modules that will work. 256 MB is a rather high amount for that generation of computers unless someone is crazy enough to run XP on it :slight_smile:

I haven’t had much luck finding ram for this particular desktop
:iagree: see above. Intel BX compatible PC133, PC100 or PC66 SD-RAM would be required. PC100 would be preferred over PC133.

…i think i might just tell them to buy a new computer…but i really do want to open it up and get it going faster :cool:
Nearly no chance. Sluggish IDE interface, slow CPU. An additional stick of memory wouldn’t help much.

If anyone finds this particular piece of hardware or has a spare sitting around…please tell me I’ll pay some sum of money for it :slight_smile:
What about ebay?

Michael

Ebay isn’t a bad idea, but check here, too:

http://www.pricewatch.com/memory/

I threw away 2 sticks of 128mb each of PC100 along with Voodoo5 Video card and Sound Blaster Live MP3 Sound Card

I have 2GB of PC133 RAM setting aside for the last 2 years.

TCAS, give it to him, in return, he will give you a spindle of OD brand media, your NEC drive will love it

Will a 2 gig stick work in this older computer…apparently i can’t go much above 512…

:disagree: No. And if I remember correctly, there were no larger sticks than 512 MB (which wouldn’t work on your computer either). But TCAS didn’t write that he has a 2GB stick :wink:

apparently i can’t go much above 512…
:iagree: You might try to get a motherboard manual for that beast somewhere on the web, just to make sure.

Michael

There were 1gb sticks of PC133.

Possibly. There were few mainboard chipsets that would be able to handle them. And these were not made by Intel :bigsmile:

Due to the way Win98 allocates ram, going much over 512mb is waisted ram.

I think I still have a few 128MB or 256MB sticks around. Free if you pay shipping.

If they are PC100 I need two sticks of 256mb. I could get by on 1 but really need two. Of course wazzy has first dibbs.

Rusty

They are PC100 but not going to search if not needed. Sorry looks like I have 2x 128MB sticks plus 1 64MB and 1 32MB.

I have three 128mb sticks of PC133 if needed.

Yo waz-

With the very cheap prices on new computers - why screw around with a dinosaur when for around $400 y’all can get a new one with a LCD monitor-eh?

EH Mike, " Hey Dude Get a Dell Right? ":bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Yo Alan-

EXACTLY - bra - like this one here:

http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t128344.html

“Dell Small Business is offering the Vostro 200 Desktop Computer bundled with the E198WFP 19” Widescreen Monitor for a low $449 shipped, which is a $250 instant discount. Tax is charged in select states. Click the deal link, scroll down, click through on the e-value link, then use e-value code: “6W300-brpc2fk”.

Specifications include the Intel E2140 dual-core processor, 1GB DDR2 dual-channel memory, 80GB hard drive, DVD-ROM drive, Intel GMA 3100 integrated graphics, 7.1 audio, LAN, keyboard, mouse, Windows XP Home, and one-year warranty."

This is one hella price for a computer and LCD monitor - IMO-eh!! :iagree: :iagree: :bigsmile: