RAM problem

Here’s the deal. After discussing about dual channel (thanks to all who participated!) I have another problem.

As you can read in the previous thread, my dual channel setting isn’t working (computer was crashing - rebooting or reporting the IRQL error …) I’ve decided to put them in single channel.

I have two modules (one Infineon, one Nanya), both from Viking. The Infineon I got two days ago, but I was using Nanya for about year and a half. With Nanya in slot 1 and Infineon in slot 2 computer crashes, but with only one module in the slots computer runs flawlessly.

With both three options I tried to scan for viruses. With both modules computers crashes withing 3-4 minutes of scan (it’s a random crash), but with only one module it works fine, regardless if it’s Infineon or Nanya in it.

What could be wrong? I’m suspecting PSU, which is only 400 W. Any ideas at all, experts? :wink:
At this time all stores are closed in my country (because of the holidays). Can I solve the PSU problem (if it really is a PSU problem) by disconnecting one optical drive and running bot modules without problems?

Thanks!

Oh yes, can FSB:DRAM ratio affect the crashing? I have FSB raised from 200 to 227, so DRAM is also on 227.

So, you’re overclocking some cheap RAM and having problems? No surprise there.

Download Memtest86 and create the floppy, run the default tests from the floppy for a few hours, or until you see errors. I’m guessing it will error right away.

I suggest you read up on overclocking a bit more. 227 FSB is WAY beyond what can be expected for cheap RAM, especially 2 possibly mis-matched sticks of cheap RAM.

It worked with one stick before I added another 512 MB. Can the RAM rate be fixed and CPU FSB user defined?

I downloaded your manual and you didn’t respond about the bios setting for
the ram divider! Since your are overclocking the fsb of the cpu, you shoud set the ram divider lower than 1:1 so you are not overclocking the ram. Lower the fsb of the cpu if you can’t figure out how to do the ram divider, forget dual channel.
I tried 3 different sets of MATCHED ram before I got my overclock stable and
will probably order some pc600 sooner or later!

You’ll realize few benefits from a high core clock(cpu) with such poor ram,
almost any operation will bottleneck in the memory if it’s that much slower.
A good set of matched cas 2 ram running at 200 would be much better
with that cpu.

Thanks, guys. I tested both modules with memtest and it showed that new module is makin 199 errors in just first second. In one minute there were 5000 errors. The old module is clean - not a single error during 1 hour testing.

The broken module goes back and I’m waiting a new one soon. :wink:

rbrtpl, the only selectable RAM divider is: 1:1, 5:4 and 3:2. So actually I have to increase the FSB to reach 200 MHz ram frequency.

Yes that’s right, go to 5/4 and leave the fsb oc’d, after I lowered the mem bus
on my OC’d amd64 I got up to a stable 45% OC and started beating 7-800$
cpu’s in everest and shrink benches with a 150$ cpu. Of course the amd64
has superior heat and power properties, with better memory I would like to hit
a 50% OC.

But there’s something other to it. I want my RAM to run at 200 MHz, but 227 FSB at 5:4 ratio means 181,6 MHz.

But at 240 fsb it’ll run at 200

Your calculation is wrong. At 250 FSB it’d run RAM frequency at 200. But 250 FSB is beyond reachable for me. I mean, it’s the highest overclock for my CPU.

try to set higer timing … (less perforence =/) … got same problem here but more Vol’t and cooling doing great :slight_smile:

Hi sodom,

After you get your new ram, try it without using a divider first. The divider will impact your performance so don’t do it unless you need to, a 1:1 between cpu and ram is best. Some inexpensive DDR400 can run at 227fsb, but like rdgrimes said that’s over the limit for alot of the cheaper memory. I had some Kingston valueram DDR400 that I got up to about 230fsb before instability, now I have much better ram though. Some ram may not even make 220fsb though, it just depends you have to try :slight_smile: . At a 230fsb, the ram is running at 460Mhz, so DDR400 is sorta pushing it unless it’s really good quality ram maybe.

Even if you can only get like 225fsb, I’d still rather run like that than put a divider on. Divider should only be used if you can reach alot higher fsb with your cpu than your ram can take, only then will it benefit you performance wise at all. But if you can only reach a tiny bit higher fsb, like 227 with divider vs 225 without, it’s better just to run without divider. Now if you could get 250fsb with divider but 225 without, then a divider would be worth it for sure. But personally I’d still buy ram that could take that 250fsb so I could run 1:1. Remember your ram is how the cpu talks to everything, making it run slower creates a significant bottleneck depending on what you do with your pc. Just for example with gaming, where alot of bandwidth is better, running a divider could very noticeably impact performance. But doing something else where high bandwidths aren’t required, the impact may not be so noticeable.

If you wanna be able to reach your max cpu overclock and be able to run 1:1, I’d recommend getting some DDR466 or DDR500 memory if you can. Up to you though, if new ram will only get you 2 more fsb or something while running 1:1, you have to question whether it’s worth it or not. Just don’t run a divider so you can get 2 more fsb though, it’s not worth it. And maybe you’ve heard this, but sometimes it’s not always good to run mismatched ram modules. It may work just fine in most or almost all cases, but they can have different timings, different voltage ranges and sweetspots, etc and can be a problem even if you’re not overclocking. Sometimes two different rams just plain don’t like each other, it can happen.

Also, I’d recommend Prime95 for testing system stability, you need to run it for a full day or more to really know you’re stable. It stresses both the cpu and ram and should catch any errors (unstable overclock, bad ram, etc.) And memtest86 as already suggested is a great one for testing ram, and same thing with that, don’t run it for 1 hour and think your good. You really need to run any program like those for several hours or days to know you’re rock solid. If you can run memtest or prime for an hour, it means your more than likely stable, but not for sure. And watch your temps too if your overclocking, heat is the enemy :slight_smile: and a killer.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I’ve just got my new RAM module and I checked it with Memtest86 and it reported zero errors … That means good for me. Now I’m running them both at 227 MHz (like the FSB) and no problems thus far.