RAM or CPU Speed (how much does it help?)

vbimport

This question is about the benefits of adding more RAM.
Specifically, as far as Recode is concerned.

How much Ram does Recode use to process movies? All of it that’s available?

Is there a recommended amount? Does more RAM mean the program can process faster, or does it need a faster processor to do that?

I’m curious, in that I have a two year old Dimension 8250 with an Intel 850e chipset.

I’ve got a P4 @ 2.4ghtz w/ the 533 mhtz FSB and 512 MB PC 1066 non-ECC RDRAM.

If I double the RAM, will Nero work faster? RDRAM is friggin expensive, since it seems to have gone the way of betamax.

Am I better off buying a faster processor? I can upgrade the processor (to one of the 3+ ghtz hyper threading enabled P4’s for the same price as adding more RAM.

Don’t really want to buy any more components that I won’t be able to use in the next computer I get (plan on building one myself); and it looks like money spent on RDRAM is money that isn’t going to carry forward.

I’m not a gamer - apart from looking forward to Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2 - but I am skydiving videographer and edit a ton on my computer, make movies, and of course copy DVDs.

I can’t buy any faster burners, so I’m wondering what else I can do to make the numbers crunch faster.

Does Nero use the video card memory? Should I get a faster video card? I’ve just got a 64MB nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420.

Thanks!!

A faster processor will help more than RAM.

I"m having a hard time finding out if I can get anthing past 3 ghtz. The p4 3.8 (and others up over 3) have a 900mhtz FSB, and mine has a 533mhtz FSB. I’m not sure if that means it won’t work with my chipset (850e). Doesn’t anyone ever pull the processor and plug in a faster one on the same motherboard? I can’t find any compatabilty charts for that; and I don’t know enough to be sure … like is the FSB on the chipset (motherboard) or processor?

I guess I was hoping someone would say more RAM would help :slight_smile:

A year ago or so I started getting all hot and bothered about the fact that the newer faster P4s were starting to appear. I don’t use my system to play games: only business appls, and audio and video editing/processing. I had a 1.5 GHz P4 at the time, with 512 MB of RAM, and decided to spring for a 2.4 GHz processor. Talk about buyer’s remorse. No appreciable difference. Did it take me 20 fewer seconds to do certain things? Sure. It wasn’t worth the price I paid for the new processor. For $200+, I would have been happy to wait 20 more seconds.

To answer the second part of your question, you need to find a processor with the same front-side bus speed as your motherboard, unless your motherboard can run either 533 or 800. Regardless, you said the processor you’re looking at runs at 900 MHz? Then you can’t use the new processor. (You might be able to run a processor that runs at a higher bus speed, but the processor will run slower than its rated speed: the processor’s speed and the front-side bus speed are integrated – one is a ratio of the other.) Others here can give you more info, but beyond all that, the newest P4s don’t even have the same pin configuration as the older ones, unless they’re still producing pinned processors. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at CPUs …

I say double your RAM.

Well I just upgraded to a Xp64 and kept the same amount of ram and it takes 20+ minutes as oposed to 40+ minutes with the new system.
In a few weeks i will also be doubling my ram from 512 to 1G
Rip with dvd-decrypter 10-15
Encode/shrink using recode 12-15
New system

Rip 10-15
encode shrink 30-1.5 hours

old system

How much RAM?

Launch Task Manager and let it run in the background. Now rip/transcode/burn a DVD movie. Upon completion, click on the Performance tab of Task Manager and record the Peak Commit Charge. You don’t need to add more RAM than this peak value. I doubt that you will see more than 512000K of Peak Commit Charge.

Thanks!