RAM - Just plain curious!

vbimport

I recently purchased a desktop PC with Vista Basic. It came with 1 GIG of RAM.

My memory meter would always say:
available memory: 1024 MB
used memory: 580 MB (give or take depending on what was running)

yesterday, I removed the one stick of 1 GIG RAM and installed 1 stick of 2 GIG RAM. It runs great!

now my memory reads the following:
available memory: 2048 MB
used memory: 980 MB (again depending on what’s running)

WHY IS IT USING MORE MEMORY NOW? from 580 MB to 980MB! I’m curious. Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Max

Windows is designed to use RAM according to how much is available. Mostly it’s just storing more program kernels in RAM than it was. Although the number is a bit high, you must have a lot of processes running.

I don’t run many processes at all. It’s a home PC that I use for basic stuff.
Maybe the ACER metering software is the one that uses up that memory when it’s running! lol

Anyhow, Thank you very much for the info. I appreciate it.

yeah i had 2 gigs in my machine and windoze used just under 1 gig. Then i put my another 2 gigs in now (4 gigs total) and it uses 1.3 gigs. My OS is Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit.

Look at the Task Manager to see what’s using it up.

The more you put in the most windoze uses :\

It has to do with the ‘page file’ where the OS puts data that is supposed to be in ram and puts it onto the HDD to make room for processes that need ram. Usually the OS is configured to handle this automatically but it can be changed by the user as well, I don’t know about vistas handling of it.

Windows will use as much ram as it can

What would be the point in having a PC with 4GB of ram but windows only using 512MB and having to swap alot of files out onto the HDD all the time, this would be slow and a waste of the memory.

Before when you had 1GB of ram alot of your programs were being notified of low memory conditions and they were moving parts they would not use for a long time out onto the HDD but now you have alot more ram avaialbe they are hanging onto this data in memory.

Basically, more ram is better as it reduces the ammount of time wasted trying to swap information out when not needed to make space.