RAM for DFI mobo

vbimport

I’m engaged in a new build and would appreciate recommendations as to which brand of RAM would work best with my motherboard. I’ve heard of G.Skill, Crucial, OCZ and Corsair but which are better?
Mobo: DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS
Processor: Intel Core Duo E8400 Wolfdale @ 3.0GHz
Box: Antec Midtower with 3 fans
Hard drives(2): Seagate Sata
External USB hard drives(2): Seagate
One floppy drive
Power supply: 600 watts
Optical drives: Want Samsung SH S-203B(2) but haven’t found the retail version yet.
Audio and video cards: Not yet decided what to use.
Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks THX
I’m not a gamer but I do games now and then so good video and audio are important to me. I’m also quite into music.
Appreciate any recommendations provided on the RAM and also on a decent video card.:slight_smile:

[B]This page[/B] shows the memory that DFI recommends for this board if you are going to overclock it. Even if you don’t plan on overclocking, these should be stable for you. If no overclock, then all you need is the DDR2 800.

G.SKill, Crucial and Corsair are all good choices in my opinion.

Be sure your power supply is from a good brand. This isn’t a part you want to skimp on, and going just by wattage isn’t a good plan. Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, and Fortron Source all sell good power supplies.

For such a nice machine, I would think an Nvidia based 8800GT would be the least capable card you might want. If you prefer ATI, then maybe a 3850. There are better, more expensive cards out there, but these will play the vast majority of games that have been released. Crysis is the only one that will really slow these down, and it puts a hurt on most anything if you turn on all the features.

For sound cards I’ve heard some good things about the Asus Xonar series, but they are quite expensive. Newegg has them, and the baby of the series is $89.99

Well for your ram the choices that you have selected are good. I would also recommend a new kid on the block Mushkin.

What kind of budget were you looking at?

:cool::cool:

Here’s a link

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/performance/

Just so that my statement above does not get taking out of context, what I am meaning by new kid on the block is that Mushkin has been around since 1994 but is not pushed in your face like other mainstream brands of ram. They have strictly relied on word of mouth about their product.

Have been using these " Muskins" for little over 4mo’s xp-8500 (2x 1gb) d9 micron chips @ 5-5-4-10 2.0v
all i have to say is well worth the price … stable at lower volts but still will warranty at 2.35v if you want to push then ie 1200 mhz which they will do especially with a good mb and psu ( err forgot memory cooler )

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=523

Kissparo:
Thanks for your reply.
Question: Will you please tell me exactly which Mushkin RAM you’re recommending so I can check it out.
Mobo: DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS. I need 4 gigs.
Processor: Intel Core Duo E8400 Wolfdale LGA 775 @ 3.0 GHz.
Thanks…Bob
By the way my brother lives in Canuckland (if you’re referring to Canada) and I am originally from there.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2058970]Here’s a link

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/performance/

Just so that my statement above does not get taking out of context, what I am meaning by new kid on the block is that Mushkin has been around since 1994 but is not pushed in your face like other mainstream brands of ram. They have strictly relied on word of mouth about their product.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your reply and recommendations. I’ll look at the Mushkin as soon as I determine which version is for my mobo.
My budget? Don’t have a set figure - just to get what I need for this build; components with reliability and good performance that interface well with each other. I think I have room to work with video and audio cards because I don’t think I need top-of-the-line stuff but not junk either.
Re video cards. I read where some are “longer” than others, and a longer card makes it difficult to connect some things on my board. So I guess I would look for a good performing “standard size” card?
Thanks…Bob

Kerry56
Thanks for your reply and suggestions.
My power supply is a recent buy used in my current system - still under warranty.
Questions on video card: The card you suggested is sure expensive. Could I not get decent performance from something a little less expensive? If not, so be it.
I have read that some video cards are longer than others, and that the longer cards make it pretty difficult to make some connections on my board. Does the 8800GT fall into this category?
Thanks…Bob

There are a whole range of video cards available. As you go down in price, the less capable they are of course. An 8800 GT 512mb at Newegg sells for about $140 after rebate. A 9600 GT is very close in performance, and you can get one for as little as $120 after rebate. Either of those would be better performance than a similarly priced ATI based 3870 card.

Going down from there a Sapphire or Asus 3850 is $105 after rebate. It is about the least capable card you would want for modern and upcoming games.

Unfortunately most of these cards are pretty big physically, but the 3850’s are slightly smaller from what I’ve read. If a long card is a problem, you might want to stick to the mid range cards like the 3850. You might also want to look at the user reviews in Newegg, and reviews at places like The Tech Report or Anandtech.

Some of the video card manufacturers have better warranties too, and better support, but they tend to be the more expensive ones. EVGA, XFX and BFG Tech are the ones I know of.

By the way, the prices on these cards have really dropped. For about a year, the 8800GT was around $240, with no rebates and very few in stock for a while.

Thanks for the comprehensive info on video cards. I must have missed the rebate on the 8800GT 512mb at Newegg. That’s a pretty decent price it seems to me.
I’ve used a Sapphire before and wasn’t impressed.
Yes I think the 8800 is a longer card so I’ll look at the 3850’s and I’ll also need to do more research on specs and reviews at the places you mentioned.
You’ve provided important parameters in your reply, and they should make it easier for me to zero in on a decent-performing card that’s suitable (in terms of size) for my mobo.
Re sound cards: I was using an Audigy. It did the job but quit on me after a couple of years so obviously I need something more reliable. I’ll take a look at the ASUS series which you suggested because so far I’ve been unable to get much in the way of other information.
Questions re video and sound cards:
Does one have to consider compatibility with the mobo when looking at video and sound cards or is that not usually a problem?
What is the difference between video cards that are PCI or PCIE cards?
Thanks

I don’t really follow soundcards very much. You should probably look through the forum in this link for information about them:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=21
Be aware those guys are serious audiophiles.

Compatibility is usually not a huge problem, though I hear Creative has had some nasty bugs in their Vista drivers. If you are going to use XP, then you should be ok.

PCI video cards are obsolete. AGP based cards were introduced to replace them 9 or 10 yrs ago, and everyone has moved on to PCI-E cards now. Your DFI motherboard has a PCI-E video card slot.

[QUOTE=classicride72;2060073]Kissparo:
Thanks for your reply.
Question: Will you please tell me exactly which Mushkin RAM you’re recommending so I can check it out.
Mobo: DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS. I need 4 gigs.
Processor: Intel Core Duo E8400 Wolfdale LGA 775 @ 3.0 GHz.
Thanks…Bob
By the way my brother lives in Canuckland (if you’re referring to Canada) and I am originally from there.[/QUOTE]

Hi classicride72 ,

Sorry for the delay to your question but was gone for the long weekend and just got back …
Muskin memory i’m using is 2 sticks of 1 gb see link http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=523
as i’m using XP …

For 4 GB of the same memory ie : 2 sticks of 2gb see link http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=556

I guess you will be using Vista 64 bit as i will recognize all 4 gb’s … Xp or vista 32 bit will recognize a max of 3 gb’s of memory …
Sorry , don’t have any links to US retailer’s as mine were purchased in Canada ( CanadaComputers ) to be exact … they do not have a USA website
Anyways , sure some folks from the USA on these forums can refer you to some retailers if you don’t already have some in mind …
This memory works great with my P35 MB Gigabyte P35 DS4 rev 2.0…:bigsmile:

btw : that DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS and e8400 cpu are kicka** don’t skip on a GPU ( videocard) , onboard sound is really good on new MB …try it out first before spending money
on a soundcard … money you save would put towards a 8800 GT … great card price /performance wise … lots of deals out there since 9800 's came out
Only drawback to 8800 's is they tend to run hot with stock cooler … good aftermarket cooler ie : Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 or even freebee software ie : Rivatuner can be used to mod fan speeds …

Shop around.

Here is one link for ya

http://www.ncixus.com/products/1300/DDR2%20Desktop%20Memory/

Hi and thanks for your reply. Yeah, I know XP won’t recognize 4 gb’s of Ram but I’ll go with 2x2 gb’s and live with what I do get. My present system has 2 gigs of RAM and I can see that I need more. The way I feel now I want nothing to do with Vista. Have heard gobs and gobs of bad reports about it so I’ll stick with XP SP2 as long as I can.
Questions:

1. Is there anything wrong with installing RAM on the board before installing the video card - the 8800 is a larger card? People have said you can’t get to the RAM once the 8800 is installed unless you remove it to install RAM and then reinstall card…
  2. Is there a possibility I could have a problem clipping down the Mushkins since they tend to be a bit taller?
  3. Am I correct in my understanding that the E8400 will split its work between its two cores?
  4. Most everyone is telling me to get the 8800GT so I guess I’ll have to go along(smile). NVidea sound ok to you?
    Thanks again…Bob

Platinumsword,
Thanks for the link for the RAM. As for the video card, guess I’ll go with the Nvidia 8800GT since that continues to be the advice I’m getting(smile).
Thanks again…Bob

[QUOTE=kissparo;2062171]Hi classicride72 ,

Sorry for the delay to your question but was gone for the long weekend and just got back …
Muskin memory i’m using is 2 sticks of 1 gb see link http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=523
as i’m using XP …

For 4 GB of the same memory ie : 2 sticks of 2gb see link http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?id=556

I guess you will be using Vista 64 bit as i will recognize all 4 gb’s … Xp or vista 32 bit will recognize a max of 3 gb’s of memory …
Sorry , don’t have any links to US retailer’s as mine were purchased in Canada ( CanadaComputers ) to be exact … they do not have a USA website
Anyways , sure some folks from the USA on these forums can refer you to some retailers if you don’t already have some in mind …
This memory works great with my P35 MB Gigabyte P35 DS4 rev 2.0…:bigsmile:

btw : that DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS and e8400 cpu are kicka** don’t skip on a GPU ( videocard) , onboard sound is really good on new MB …try it out first before spending money
on a soundcard … money you save would put towards a 8800 GT … great card price /performance wise … lots of deals out there since 9800 's came out
Only drawback to 8800 's is they tend to run hot with stock cooler … good aftermarket cooler ie : Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 or even freebee software ie : Rivatuner can be used to mod fan speeds …[/QUOTE]
Hello Kissparo,
I’m still looking at RAM including the Mushkin you recommended.
Question: What are your thoughts on latency and voltage? One recommendation I received was to be sure that latency is CAS4 and voltage is 1.8-1.9v. I notice that’s different than what you have, and I’d like your expert opinion on how important those specs are for the board I’m using (DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS).
Thanks.

Hello classicride72

Once you selected your memory , just email “mushkingreg” at the Mushkin web site with your specs ie" mb , cpu , psu … he’ll give all your settings they tested with your setup or "close enough " … you can always tweak them after … ex mine are spec’ed at
5 5 4 12 @ 2.1v 1066 mhz , presently running @ 5 5 4 10 @ 2.0 v 1000 mhz
Cpu is oc @ 3.6 ghz 1.3375v e6850 c2d 24/7

[QUOTE=classicride72;2060094]Kerry56
Thanks for your reply and suggestions.
My power supply is a recent buy used in my current system - still under warranty.[/QUOTE]
What exactly is this power supply ?

[quote=kissparo;2068552]Hello classicride72

Once you selected your memory , just email “mushkingreg” at the Mushkin web site with your specs ie" mb , cpu , psu … he’ll give all your settings they tested with your setup or "close enough " … you can always tweak them after … ex mine are spec’ed at
5 5 4 12 @ 2.1v 1066 mhz , presently running @ 5 5 4 10 @ 2.0 v 1000 mhz
Cpu is oc @ 3.6 ghz 1.3375v e6850 c2d 24/7[/quote]

Hi Kissparo,
Thanks much for the info on getting settings for the memory. I looked at the Ascent but it’s pretty expensive. Wonder if I could be okay with another Mushkin model?
I want to run 2x2 GB’s. I know the board will not recognize 4GBs but it should at least recognize 3 - 3.25GB’s so I’ve been told.
My present system utilizes 2GB’s of Corsair RAM and it’s often 30-40% utilized. My P4 maxes out quite often. That’s probably the main reason I’m engaged in this build - to get improvements in both areas.
Thanks…Bbob

It’s called "Thermaltake"
Bob