vbimport

GUY’S
RALPH NADER
A man I use to respect because of his work in
helping consumers of various products stepped
over the line in some insulting remarks toward
PRESIDENT OBAMA.
ZAP.
READ AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION:(:frowning:http://www.sodahead.com/question/185544/ralph-nader-doesnt-regret-uncle-tom-comment-is-naders-political-career-over/?link=Edf

It is probably something that shouldn’t have been said but, IMO, it was obvious he wasn’t making a directly racist remark. I think too many people’s skin is too thin on comments like these. The very fact that Obama has been elected president shows how far we have come as a society regarding racism. Maybe its time to back off that hair trigger on crying racism over poorly chosen words by someone who has never demonstrated overt racism in the past and save it for the people that really deserve it like the skin heads etc. IMO, this cheapens the overall cause of eliminating the real racism that exists. There are people that think I am racist because I voted for McCain but I don’t cry and whine about it. I just crack a smile and move on because it is just isn’t true and dwelling on it only gives the people saying it undeserved attention.

Yes, indeed, the fact that Obama was elected means that the people past over the problem of racism but unfortunately not all the people and I guess Ralph Nader is one of them or it could be only the feeling of envy coz he wasn’t elected and he attacked him with this ‘Uncle Tom’ offense

My take on this is pretty much the same as UTR’s

I don’t believe Nadar’s intention was to be offensive or to interject race, but in the US in 2008 you simply can’t use a term like Uncle Tom without doing so, particularly when referring to the first black President-Elect of the US.

If you listen to the entire video clip, Nadar never backed down from the term at all, but he did explain exactly what he meant. A bit later in the clip he did substitute the term “toady” for Uncle Tom. It’s unfortunate that he did not choose “toady” initially.

I’m not defending his use of the term here. As stated, it’s unfortunate, but I don’t believe Nadar is racist.

UTR
Some of what you said is valid. I also respect SEN MCCAIN
for having serving his country,for personal reasons,However
if SEN MCCAIN had been elected PRESIDENT MCCAIN, and
say OPRAH or CHRIS BRIDGES[LUDACRIS] had said ,I hope
he dosn’t run the country like a typical H-----[FILL IN THE BLANK]
My reaction would have been the same. That it was an inapropiate
insult.
ZAP.:doh::doh:

[QUOTE=Moggie;2153237]Yes, indeed, the fact that Obama was elected means that the people past over the problem of racism but unfortunately not all the people and I guess Ralph Nader is one of them or it could be only the feeling of envy coz he wasn’t elected and he attacked him with this ‘Uncle Tom’ offense[/QUOTE]

If anyone thinks Ralph Nader is racist they are dead wrong. Poor choice of words on his part, yes. Does it mean he is a racist, absolutely not. Calling Nader a racist does nothing to eliminate racism. In fact I think it hurts the cause of eliminating true racism that is based on hatred. Racism comes from all races of people and some of those races need to start turning an eye inward and work on eliminating their own problems of racism toward others. Racism is not a one way street. It would make the world a better place for us all.

UTR/MAINEMAN
I don’t believe he’s a racist. I do think that his
choice of words towards the president-elect were insulting
and in apropriate. Myself I disagree with some of OBAMAS
ideas. I also look at him as in experienced in national security
matters. I am not going to disrespect him,call him names,
say he’s not intellegent like the media did to PRESIDENT BUSH.
That to me showed low class on the part of the media,and
the other crazies. If you disagree with someone politically
like I think MR. NADER must being in the green party to some
of PRESIDENT OBAMAS ideas. You don’t have to insult,name
call, just because someones views are different then yours.
ZAP.:iagree::iagree:

I think it was a slip of the tongue. Nader was attempting to be funny and chose the wrong analogy. You’ve also got to consider it was on Fox News, where their policy seems to be very anti liberal or moderate. The few times I’ve watched it they were trying to crucify liberals. This time they succeeded.