RAID0 Confessions

vbimport

I have railed against RAID0 configurations for many years, but I realize that we’ve all used RAID0 setups IF we’ve had multi-platter boot drives.

RAID0 spans data across multiple drives, some bytes here, some bytes on the next one, and so forth.

Which is exactly what a multi-platter disk drive does. Byte0 on Platter0, Byte1 on Platter1, etc. RAID0.

And when one platter’s READ head no longer functions, you’ve effectively lost access to all data.

Of course, the true RAID0 setup now means I’ve doubled my chances for Read-Write Failures, while almost doubling my Write Performance (not quite doubling it - there is some traffic-cop decisions being made, and investigating and locating available Write-To sectors takes more time).

I probably shouldn’t rail against RAID0 so generically but I think the best RAID0 machines would use a RAID0 Data Drive-Setup and not boot drives. This way, I end up with ridiculous numbers of SSDs that look like silly Linux partitions! Boot Drive! Temp Files Drive! Active Data RAID0s! Backup Drives! Oh… and somewhere, program files.