Raid controller vanished!

vbimport

One of my older systems is equipped with a MSI K7N2G-ILSR mainboard. It’s an NForce 2 board (AMD) with an onboard Promise RAID controller (Fasttrak 133 Lite or TX2+).

Today I was working on the system and I needed to reboot. I noticed while booting that the RAID controller’s BIOS didn’t show up (it always did so, even just an hour before).

I don’t have a clue what happened. I cleared the systems BIOS, updated the BIOS (as the system BIOS includes the RAID BIOS) and it doesn’t seem to work. Of course, the RAID controller is not seen by the OS (Linux).

I never had drives attached to the controller btw, but at boot, Linux did discover it. Now it doesn’t do that anymore (tried dmesg and lspci to check).
It seems like my board has become a RAID-less board.

Any thoughts?

Hi :slight_smile:
I’ve had something similar with the Via raid controller. M/B Asus K8V Deluxe.
It’s got two raid controllers, 1 Via & 1 Promise.
When booting used to do usual processor memory ide etc, then Via raid followed by Promise. Now Via has gone from this procedure, even though its still there. (Klingon’s cloaking device no doubt)
Not sure when this first started as I turn my pc on then go & make a drink or a bite to eat while system is booting. Therefore not sure if this is bios failure (although everything functions as before) or upgrade to bios that I did several weeks ago.(more likely)