Raging but Economical PC Build

Thanks for the offer. I picked the 640’s up at the $69 price as well.

Oh, yes, all of the parts have arrived.:clap:
Pictures to follow, once i get home and get set up.

Congrats,
Don’t forget to enable AHCI in bios :slight_smile:
//Danne

[quote=Icy Mt.;2211728]Oh, yes, all of the parts have arrived.:clap:
Pictures to follow, once i get home and get set up.[/quote]

Awaiting your pic’s

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2211870]Don’t forget to enable AHCI in bios ^_^[/QUOTE]I would have got there eventually.[QUOTE=platinumsword;2212118]Awaiting your pic’s[/QUOTE]And without further ado:
Tehsi lurking amongst the pieces and parts…and everything crammed into the Antec 900, about 3 hours later.

About 1 hour after that…POST first time!!!
And then a little later in the dark…

Now I’m bushed and so is my assistant. Tomorrow: setting everything properly in BIOS (RTFgigabyteM) and installing Windows 7.

Alrighty then … the beast is up & running :smiley:

Which video card did you end up with? :slight_smile:

Looks good, you will be very happy with that case.

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2204125] can anyone recommend a replacement for Nero 6 that plays nice with Vista 64bit?

[/QUOTE]

Ashampoo Burning Studio 8 works perfect with Vista 64. It’s cheaper and less bloated than Nero, but does almost everything just as well or better. You can get a 30 day free trial (40 if you request a key) http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/product_2_1810___USD.htm

[QUOTE=debro;2212148]Alrighty then … the beast is up & running :smiley: Which video card did you end up with? :)[/QUOTE]You should see the kid grin. Went with this one:
POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-DH Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail - $125 with promo and MIR[QUOTE=platinumsword;2212149]Looks good, you will be very happy with that case.[/QUOTE]We love the case. We’re going to have to make a second pass at cable management though.[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2212288]Ashampoo Burning Studio 8 works perfect with Vista 64.[/QUOTE]I have looked at that and wondered if it was any good, thanks.

We love the case. We’re going to have to make a second pass at cable management though.

You’ll get it done, good cable management will improve the air flow in the case, which is what you really want.

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2212944]You’ll get it done, good cable management will improve the air flow in the case, which is what you really want.[/QUOTE]It’s more for appeasing the OCD. I’ve been running WCG all night at 100% and the “hot” core is at 41C. Coolest temp in the case is 23C on HD right in front of intake fan, by itself.

The Ashampoo burning suite looks good for $50.

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2213190]

The Ashampoo burning suite looks good for $50.[/QUOTE]

Try it out before you buy, make sure you like it. I’ve got several of their products and couldn’t be happier with them.

My quad runs at about [B]47 °C[/B], I have had it upto [B]55 °C[/B]. A person really wants to keep that temp below [B]60 [/B][B]°C[/B] or you start doing damage to your processor.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2213319]Try it out before you buy, make sure you like it. I’ve got several of their products and couldn’t be happier with them.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the reference. Nero has become too bloated. It looks like Burn Studio 8 also has DVD authoring which would allow it to replace both Nero and Sonic myDVD.[QUOTE=platinumsword;2213406]My quad runs at about [B]47 °C[/B], I have had it upto [B]55 °C[/B]. A person really wants to keep that temp below [B]60 [/B][B]°C[/B] or you start doing damage to your processor.[/QUOTE]My motherboard bios is set to turn up the CPU fan and back down the processor if it hits 60C. I haven’t even started playing with the Gigabyte EasyTune software yet but there are all kinds of controls for everything. Plus, despite Diizzy’s advice that it was unnecessary, we have a CPU cooler/heat sink w/ 92mm fan that could eliminate global warming if attached to the equator.:smiley:

My only disappointment so far has been that Alcohol 120 isn’t compatible with Windows 7. EAC, lame, DVDfab all run waaay faster and I can actually burn at 16x now.

I’m going to tell a story on myself so I hope you think it is funny. When I built this system, I had an old 120gb IDE drive laying around so I figured I’d throw that in as well since I had the cable and the room. Unfortunately, I failed to recall that it had come out of a failed upgrade on an old Dell that had gotten an XP Pro install on it before the Dell decided it didn’t want to play nice with a 7200RPM drive.
Soo…
When I installed Windows 7 on this computer, it detected this drive and determined that it was in a dual boot situation. I tried to format the XP drive but it wouldn’t let me. I decided that it would be faster and easier to temporarily install the 500gb drive full of music, movies, and install programs in my new PC and copy to the second 640gb drive, rather than transfer them over ethernet. At the same time, I reasoned, I could throw the 120 gb drive in the old PC and format it.

Imagine my surprise when the new PC refused to boot without the old XP install present. Unfortunately, 120gb drive already formatted in old PC.:doh:

So, I got to start over with a fresh install of Windows 7 on the new PC:a It was much faster re-installing all those programs from the secondary drive than downloading!

[QUOTE=Icy Mt.;2216515]I’m going to tell a story on myself so I hope you think it is funny. When I built this system, I had an old 120gb IDE drive laying around so I figured I’d throw that in as well since I had the cable and the room. Unfortunately, I failed to recall that it had come out of a failed upgrade on an old Dell that had gotten an XP Pro install on it before the Dell decided it didn’t want to play nice with a 7200RPM drive.
Soo…
When I installed Windows 7 on this computer, it detected this drive and determined that it was in a dual boot situation. I tried to format the XP drive but it wouldn’t let me. I decided that it would be faster and easier to temporarily install the 500gb drive full of music, movies, and install programs in my new PC and copy to the second 640gb drive, rather than transfer them over ethernet. At the same time, I reasoned, I could throw the 120 gb drive in the old PC and format it.

Imagine my surprise when the new PC refused to boot without the old XP install present. Unfortunately, 120gb drive already formatted in old PC.:doh:

So, I got to start over with a fresh install of Windows 7 on the new PC:a It was much faster re-installing all those programs from the secondary drive than downloading![/QUOTE]

Was the MBR on the IDE drive?

UD3 is a good choice, I’ve been having a lot of fun with mine: http://i4memory.com/f90/gigabyte-ep45-ud3p-memory-oc-results-13492/

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2216724]Was the MBR on the IDE drive?[/QUOTE]There was one for XP (I had forgotten), but IFAIK I installed Windows 7 and told it to do a new install. It’s all a little foggy, I was very tired and getting sick when we got to that stage.[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2216756]UD3 is a good choice, I’ve been having a lot of fun with mine: http://i4memory.com/f90/gigabyte-ep45-ud3p-memory-oc-results-13492/[/QUOTE]TD, you are a monster. I have seen people getting close to 4GHz stable with the E8500 and that board. As you can see, I’m less than a week in and I’ve already done 2 installs on the OS.

I already bit the bullet and bought a copy of Vista Home Premium 64. There’s a few things that I’m so thrilled with that I want to convert this to my primary, mission critical, system ASAP. I need a stable OS and one that works with Alcohol 120% for that. Win7 just not going to be there soon enough for me. This computer is about 8x the raw speed of my old one for audio/video transcoding and basic number crunching. I’m blowing up WCG numbers with this thing.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2216724]Was the MBR on the IDE drive?[/QUOTE]
I’ve owned a few motherboards that after setting the boot drive order in Bios, when adding a new HDD, depending on the port order precedence (PATA first, SATA second, Secondary SATA controllers third … then drives in port orders of the first majors) the bios would automatically stick new drives at the top of the boot order, depending on controller & port no#.

If you set the boot order, then put the new 120GB HDD in … the boot order may flip to the 120GB … and W7b will put all the boot configuration files (and MBR) on the 120GB … so when you rip out the 120GB HDD & attempt to boot … there are no config files on your Sata drive … and nothing happens :slight_smile: