Radeon 9700 vs All-In-Wonder

Which do you think performs better and why?

I added the option equal, since I think the performance of both is the same… the AIW version only has some extras like a on-board TV tuner, but I don’t see how that could change the performance. As far as I know the GPU and the memory on both cards are identical, so why a change in performance?

btw, moved it to the hardware forum!

My buddy has a AIW 8500 and my Radeon 7500 (not AIW) can play games better than his…I was thinking because of the video input/tuner feature, it slows the cards speed or something…

The AIW RADEON cards all had slower core or memory, dont remember which it is…

However, according to the hardware sites that have reviewed the latest 9700 AIW Pro, it is identical to the 9700 Pro It performs the same…

Originally posted by cmr0112x
My buddy has a AIW 8500 and my Radeon 7500 (not AIW) can play games better than his…I was thinking because of the video input/tuner feature, it slows the cards speed or something…

I doubt that this is because of the AIW features the card’s got. Not only the 3D card is responsible for the performance, so is the CPU, memory etc etc…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

I doubt that this is because of the AIW features the card’s got. Not only the 3D card is responsible for the performance, so is the CPU, memory etc etc… [/B]

No, I know for a fact that his system is better. He has:

2.26GHz P4 533 Bus
512 PC2700 DDR RAM
80GB 8MB Buffer HDD
Radeon AIW 8500 w/128 MB

I have:

1800+ Athlon XP
512 PC133 (POS Board…) RAM
40GB 2MB Buffer HDD
Radeon 7500 w/64MB

I am pretty sure they perform equally, but I do remember that the All-In-Wonder 128 Pro was a bitch.

The only good TV/grafix combo I know of is usually the XTasy Everything line.

Until now, the biggest drawback of All In Wonder cards was their 3D performance, which was lower compared to the standard cards with the same chip. In the past ATI used slower, and therefore cheaper, memory chips on the AIWs. Coupled with the lower core clock speed, this led to degraded 3D performance. Those times are finally over - the All In Wonder 9700 now runs at the same memory and core speeds as the standard Radeon 9700 PRO.

Of course it all depends on what you are comparing. 3D performance on the two cards is equal, but the All in wonder has alot of features the other one doesnt, so of course its better. You didnt ask which is the best 3D performance, but which is the better card, therefore the all in wonder is better, but much more expensive.

I still haven’t seen the AIW out in stores yet. Was it already released or just pending release.

Still pending, 9700 standard, 9500 pro and standard, which were just released recently, have yet to hit store shelves in most places.