R200 cyan check pattern problem

vbimport

i have a r200 printer which has ran fine for ages, but have come across a problem with the cyan print head, it prints all the ink heads but theyre not in proper order, i have cleaned heads on numerous occasions but tis not a lack of ink its the positioning of the print heads on the inksof the cyan
its the alignment of the printout

it should look like this but lines go diagonally but im getting them horizontally and not in alignment i have rec calibrated printer on numerous occasions so its not that either.

If you mean the pattern sketched and attached below (with rogue alignments circled), I have had this for a while on a black cartridge and only just got round to sorting it out. As you found, no amount of ink priming or both types of re-alignment, nor cleaning the chip contacts could cure it; even cleaning the whole print head from beneath and ink waste pad didn’t help.

Reading around several forums, this can apparently happen after the printer has been standing unused for a long time, or there’s a bubble in the tube of a continuous ink supply system (CISS). Since I don’t have a CISS, the only solution seems to be to change the individual print cartridge and allow the fresh ink to soften any old stuff potentially causing a blockage. I just did that and although not completely cured, it has got a lot better. On a couple of forums, I saw that it might take at least a week of occasional daily use to get rid of the misalignments.

[B]Update:[/B] after a few days the alignment is definitely improving, just printing the ‘Nozzle Check’ pattern and a single page of black text once a day.

Only 3 misaligned bits now, compared to more than 15 in the beginning…

[B]Update[/B]: after several days it is still improving. Managed to get some real images of the nozzle check output, showing the actual progress from the start:

[ol]
[li]Original state
[/li][li]After cartridge replacement
[/li][li]After 3 days
[/li][li]After 4 days
[/li][li]After 5 days
[/li][/ol]

[B]Update:[/B] Nozzle check now shows perfect results. :slight_smile:

I had a similar problem a few years back. I purchased some cleaning cartridges and run a full cycle through the system and it unblocked the heads I was having problems with.

Where did you get the cleaning cartridges, & how much did they cost?

[QUOTE=Steve83;2161203]Where did you get the cleaning cartridges, & how much did they cost?[/QUOTE]
Here’s a good source with several options :
http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/products.php?category_id=73
Make sure you select the correct type for your printer.

PrintPal and Abacus have had them also, under the G&G label.

Do the following at your own risk :
I refill and have made up my own cleaning carts for an older Epson using [B]1 part Isopropyl Alcohol[/B] 90% (or better and no fragrence) and [B]2 parts Windex Original[/B] w/ammoniaD (not dripless)

Simply refill a spent cart of the color you want to work on with the above mixture. The residual ink in the cart acts as a tracer. I never exposed the printhead to this solution for more than an hour or so, then I would flush with a normal cart using a test page with a large block of the color being worked on.
The same test page would have been used to flow the formula earlier.

Credit goes to Art Entlich for that formula.

Isopropyl and windex both can leave residue in/on the print head which would be best avoided. Most of the cleaning tanks sold simply contain the ink base with no dye in it, which a good “solvent” and leaves no residue. Most all of the ink sellers offer cleaning solvent and cleaning tanks.

[QUOTE=CDan;2161279]Isopropyl and windex both can leave residue in/on the print head which would be best avoided. Most of the cleaning tanks sold simply contain the ink base with no dye in it, which a good “solvent” and leaves no residue. Most all of the ink sellers offer cleaning solvent and cleaning tanks.[/QUOTE]
Definitely not for the faint of heart, but…
Never, ever had a problem with the above formula used correctly. It has rescued many a printer from the recycle bin.
It is a go-to for many of us printer rebuilders/rehabilitators who use it in far more aggressive ways than in cleaning carts, with excellent, [B]long-term results.[/B]
I have however, seen where it is poo-pooed by those that want to sell their own solvents.

The key with any printhead cleaning solvent is to limit exposure and effectively flush afterwards. I have to say “use at your own risk” because I cannot control how it is used.

[QUOTE=jflan;2161381]
The key with any printhead cleaning solvent is to limit exposure and effectively flush afterwards. I have to say “use at your own risk” because I cannot control how it is used.[/QUOTE]

True enough. Many times I have read people saying they cleaned the print head then “left it out to dry” only to find that now it doesn’t print at all. :rolleyes:

I seemed to have the same problem with my Cyan.

15 cleanings so far and “NO” change at all :frowning:

imkidd57 how many cleanings before your cleared up?

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2164406]I seemed to have the same problem with my Cyan.

imkidd57 how many cleanings before your cleared up?[/QUOTE]
Oooh…careful not to burn up your printhead with that many dry cleanings.
If you are an Epson user this utility is a must-have :
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
I think that you can direct cleaning to [B]a[/B] color and not [B]all[/B] colors with SSC.

What I would do at this point is to remove the Cyan cart, place a drop or two of distilled water (eye-dropper or syringe) onto the intake in the printhead and then reinstall the cart.
Let it sit overnight and retry in the AM.

This will work for a Canon and if you can’t get liquid to sit on the intake of your Epson you may have to use a cleaning cartridge.
The last Epson I worked had piercing spires instead of intake screens like a Canon and I used cleaning carts.

[quote=MegaDETH;2164406]I seemed to have the same problem with my Cyan.

imkidd57 how many cleanings before your cleared up?[/quote]Is it an Epson?

After changing the cartridge, I didn’t do any head cleanings since the word on other forums was that it wouldn’t make any difference except to waste a load of ink. All I did was just print the nozzle check pattern once or twice a day.

[B]jflan[/B]'s advice sounds very good. :slight_smile: I found SSC independently afterwards and it looks useful.

I will give the Distilled water a try, the utility starts and the Ink Monitor works but I get errors on the other stuff, I can’t find the option for just Cyan so I will leave it.

[QUOTE=jflan;2164437]Oooh…careful not to burn up your printhead with that many dry cleanings.
If you are an Epson user this utility is a must-have :
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
I think that you can direct cleaning to [B]a[/B] color and not [B]all[/B] colors with SSC.

What I would do at this point is to remove the Cyan cart, place a drop or two of distilled water (eye-dropper or syringe) onto the intake in the printhead and then reinstall the cart.
Let it sit overnight and retry in the AM.

This will work for a Canon and if you can’t get liquid to sit on the intake of your Epson you may have to use a cleaning cartridge.
The last Epson I worked had piercing spires instead of intake screens like a Canon and I used cleaning carts.[/QUOTE]

Hmm no where to add a few drops, the posts sticking up are small.

They must have a small hole on top of the post so i will have to bring a needle/syringe home from work and try that.

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2165568]Hmm no where to add a few drops, the posts sticking up are small.

They must have a small hole on top of the post so i will have to bring a needle/syringe home from work and try that.[/QUOTE]
I was afraid of that. You might have to go with a cleaning cartridge to get some effective soaking.
This popular vendor has piezo (Epson) printhead cleaning solution but no made up carts, except for Canon.
http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/products.php?category_id=73
If you refill, this of course is no problem, if you don’t, it’s possible that your neighborhood re-filler could make up some cleaning carts for you using this solution. Before I started refilling myself, that is how I aquired my cleaning carts.
Seal them up airtight for future use.

I did find ready-made cleaning carts for this printer (r200) but I could not vouch for the vendors.

I have a CISS so I can see this is going to be a problem, a cleaning cartridge doesn’t seem like a possibility here.

Maybe I can syringe ink out and distilled in, it’s worth a try.

Thanks for your help.

Well now I am at a standstill, The posts that stick up don’t have one large
hole but many small holes so not even a needle can fit in.

I tried to suck up some ink and push in some distilled but it doesn’t help.

I guess could possibly try a cleaning cart but i think I may need a whole set
assuming one cart in just the Cyan the printer wouldn’t work?

Now I might be better off just buying the R280 that’s on sale.

Anyone have a good CISS recommendation for this model?

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2166385]
I guess could possibly try a cleaning cart but i think I may need a whole set
assuming one cart in just the Cyan the printer wouldn’t work?
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think the printer will work with just one cart and it wouldn’t be wise to leave the other intakes uncovered.
If your CISS uses separate carts, I would think that you could swap in a cleaning cart and carry on with the cleaning regimen.
If the CISS tanks are a one-piece block configuration, then yes, you would have to go to plan B.