R2 gangs of new

vbimport

Has anybody ripped this yet the disc is nearly 8 gig and really is only the movie what sort of quality would be got from a film this big ???

What kind of a question is that ?
If I tell you it will propably be ok, but not as good as a movie thats only 6 GB big, what does that say ? Nothing really, so if you allready have the movie then why dont you try for yourself and come back and tell us how it worked out.

the movie itself is only 4.19gig.
no problem.

If so - the quality will be very good - lol :wink:

my bad.
just got it and it is 4.19 per disc.
put each half on it’s own disc and the quality will be 100%.

dvr 105 sorry if question was not hard enough for you but it was just a general question to see if any one else has done it yet with what results i may of not worded it right
im sorry for not being an expert but everyone starts from somewere and the question was to see if there was a diffrent way of ripping film before using dvd 2 one and being able to take anything else out as the disc is a menu and film no extras
also thought forums were for people to ask questions

as for movie only the region 2 disc orig is over 7gb

Really sorry to evryone if i seem thick but prehaps i shouldnt have asked

The movie (regio 2 version) is 7,21 GB (7.748.544.512 bytes) to be exact , and the quality (when compressed) is really good , but not perfect , now and then I see an ocassional artifact but nothing much either.

A nonperfcectionist will say it’s perfect IMO.

My appologies Reb1 if I offended you - it was not my intention :slight_smile:

Naturally you are welcome to ask any question you like - I just didnt see any questions really in the first post you made - certainly it said nothing of the things you say in your second post.

The first post only said you had a movie of approx 8GB and what quality you could expect when compressing this - my point was that since you are the one with the movie, and it only takes 15 minuttes to compress it - then the obvious thing to do was to try and see for yourself how it would turn out :slight_smile: I beleive seing with your own eyes is much better than getting an opinion from others.

If the DVD as you describe only holds the movie and menu with no extras - then theres really nothing to strip out except audio you dont want - and this you can strip out in dvd2one. No need to do anything special before processing then.

dvr 105 thanks for you reply apologie accepted but as you siad a lot my own fault for not explaing question correctly so i apologies for that so were both happy now i hope lol
i will try to explain my self better next time everyone else thanks for replies

Tried this using both constant & variable and the results were shall we say not that great.

Same film using IC7 looked totaly stunning for such a large movie! :cool: I would go as far as saying it’s the best long film I’ve done with Pinnacle. With DVD2one you sadly still could not get away from that pulsating effect on so many scenes.

Sorry in advance if this question is obvious to some of you. However, I’d like to know how to put this entire movie on 1 disc using DVD2One. I suppose the same method would be for Pearl Harbor.

Thanks.
Johnny

If I were going to put Gangs of NY on one disk, I’d use the same process as Pearl Harbor or LOTR.

If you are going to chop off the credits, and you can’t get Chopper XP to work, use VOBSplitter. Sometimes Chopper XP will work, sometimes not.

When I finally get GNY, I’m going to try a few things I’ve been thinking about. We’ll see how that turns out…

I have just finished this film with excellent results. I did the following. Disc 1, all files to HD with Decrypter 3.1.6.0, run main film through DVDShrink 2.3 to crop start and end of film, then through DVD2one.

Disc 2, the extras, needed a full disc copy, in these circumstances I again run through DVDShrink first, and compress to maximum all menus, not touching the movie files. Final shrink files are then run through DVD2one. Works for me every time no problem discs as yet.

I finally produced Gangs of NY using the template that Sirscrub created in Pearl Harbor.

It worked prefectly. It certainly was a great deal of work…

I have a Sony DRU-500a, Verbatim DVD+R 2.4, 1.8 Gig P4 using:
DVD Decrypter 3.1.6.0
DVD2One 1.2.2
DVD2AVI 1.76
VOBSplitter 2.6
VOB Edit 0.6
IfoEdit 0.95
Nero 5.5.10.42

Thanks Sirscrub for the great info.

Two questions:

1. Can you tell me the difference between DVD2One (which I own) and DVDscrub which I do not?
  2. Also, is there a program that creates a final “movie only” like DVD2one does without any compression? I find that some discs, after stripping out everything but movie are small enough to fit on a 4.7 and therefore DVD2One does some unneeded compression.

Thanks,
Johnny

Thanks Sirscrub for the great info.

You are welcomed. I’ll take a little credit for putting all the info in one place, but other than that, I’m just a monkey pushing buttons! : )

1. Can you tell me the difference between DVD2One (which I own) and DVDscrub which I do not?

Do you mean DVD Shrink? If so then…DVD Shrink is up to v2.3 It is free and can be found at www.dvdshrink.org Download it and check it out, it is pretty neat. It is great for seeing the sizes of the audio/video/menus in a DVD. You can use it as a ripper (but it is slower than DVD Decrypter for longer movies) Full disk copies for smaller movies is faster than DVD Decrypter+DVD2One. For longer movies I prefer DVD Decrypter and DVD2One. Quality is as good as DVD2One…YMMV.

1. Also, is there a program that creates a final “movie only” like DVD2one does without any compression? I find that some discs, after stripping out everything but movie are small enough to fit on a 4.7 and therefore DVD2One does some unneeded compression.

If, after stripping out extra features/audio the final file size is less than 4.7, DVD2One does not do any compression. It never compresses audio and because there would be room for the video, it has no need to compress it.

If you are having problems with some disks, it may be the quality of the source DVD, the media your are burning or the speed of the burn.

You can use DVD Shrink in re-author mode to get a movie only rip.

Re: #2:
As I understand it, D2O does NOT compress/alter unless the movie (plus needed ifo/bup/etc.) is too lage for a recordable-dvd.